=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server - Page 158 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #1571
Captain Orso

Reputation power: 6
Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyneko View Post
Actually, reality and a game are different things.
I agree. I was referring to somebody's Reality-Argument™

Quote:
Yes, it was suicide to try to take off under an attack of an airfield. But, it was also suicidal to attack an airfield by one fighter! Isn't it?
I couldn't even guess how much AAA was stationed at which airfield or ALG at which time. From what I've read, one didn't press the attack on an airfield for more than 1 or 2 passes, because there were other airfields nearby, and one would be affording aircraft from those airfields to takeoff in numbers and attack the attackers.

Also, one thing about AAA, once an entire battery was alerted and coordinated, the chance of hitting the enemy greatly increase. So after the initial attack, chances of surviving additional strafing runs greatly decrease, so you wouldn't want to do that. I don't think this is modeled in DCS. AAA is immediately and completely aware of an enemy as soon as the enemy is withing range, if not before. But the AAA's effectiveness doesn't increase. So if you can manage the AAA on your first attack, why break off, because it's not going to get any worse. Besides, there are so few other players in the game in general, there's nobody to come to help defend an airfield. It might as well be all alone on the map.

Quote:
Burning skies server (ie map, AAA etc) or/and specific of DCS allows you to "hold under control" whole airfield by one little fighter without any consequences for the fighter. It is kind of fantastic. Maybe there were such situations during WWII but not systematically.

Moreover, if you have Spitfire and you took off under attack - you can do nothing. Why? Because Me-109K can run away without any problems.

So, according to these facts in the DCS, Germans had to destroy ALL England's airfields, destroy all England's planes etc etc. As we know from the history it is not true.
Why didn't it happen?
The question in my mind is simple, does Burning Skies want there to be no attacks on any airfields, only on certain airfield, or on all airfield?

And the question of AAA is, how dangerous should it be? Should it be equally dangerous on all airfields etc, or prohibitively heavy on some, and lighter on others?

I personally don't think WWII AAA is going to do what Burning Skies is expecting of it, but that's speculation on my part. As I already stated, I've seen Air-Quake missions with 10 ZU-23 protecting the airfields. Although they are far better than the WWII era AAA, they still got strafed out of existence, leaving the airfield completely exposed. Should one expect Bofors and FlaK 30's to be better? I have my doubts.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #1572
Captain Orso

Reputation power: 6
Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdelta57 View Post
What about more flak zones sporadically placed and increasing in density the closer to the home airfields? You could almost divide the map and show a line thats indicated from this xxx point this is German controlled territory expect resistance etc?
The problem with flooding the map with AAA, even if lighter in some areas and heavier on others, is that it's going to cause performance hits at some point.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #1573
Mr_sukebe

Reputation power: 3
Mr_sukebe is on a distinguished road

Surely the easy solution is have several different air bases that can be chosen, such that it's virtually impossible to vulch all of them.
Mr_sukebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:44 AM   #1574
Cripes'A'Mighty

Reputation power: 2
Cripes'A'Mighty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
Surely the easy solution is have several different air bases that can be chosen, such that it's virtually impossible to vulch all of them.
Would be a good idea for the next mission to include multiple airfields at different distances from the frontline to allow people to make their own decisions.
Cripes'A'Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #1575
pmiceli

Reputation power: 0
pmiceli is on a distinguished road

As a 2 decade veteran of WWII online games and event design, I would suggest there is no effective way to prevent vulching other than player airstarts.

Rules and gentlemanly agreements are probably the worst choice as the server will become populated with jailhouse lawyers litigating every guns pass.

AAA at a level strong enough to prevent it will result in players reluctant to leave the safe haven of AAA.

AI defense fighters have the same result as strong AAA.

Multiple fields to choose from is a double edge sword unless server population is high. Players start playing hide and seek.

An airstart far enough back to equal the time to start taxi and climb is the most equitable option. It means the vulcher has to worry about another threat axis and doesn't give the air start pilot any real advantage except over the vulched airfield.

In DCS I see vulching on every server I have spent any time in (mostly no missile servers but then BVR is basically vulching EZ mode)
pmiceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #1576
Sandman1330

Reputation power: 3
Sandman1330 is on a distinguished road

Have Spitfires been pulled from the server due to the mass disconnects? I was disappointed to log in today and have no Spits available. I tried out the Mustang, but just got eaten alive as I'm too used to the Spit's ability to turn its way out of trouble...
R5 1600X @ 4Ghz / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (@2933... for now) / Samsung 960 Evo M.2 / Saitek X55 / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Rift CV1
Sandman1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #1577
rogonaut

Reputation power: 4
rogonaut will become famous soon enoughrogonaut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
Do you know what the pilots did during the war if their base was being attacked while they were on the ground? Not at thing, because trying to take off would have been suicide. Why should anything else be expected from the players? Just so that you can have a live, defenseless target? Grow up a little. It's not all about you.

If you can't handle being restricted from strafing an airfield, maybe it is you who should suck it up or go somewhere else. You are not the measure of all things, regardless of how you might wish it.
im just curious who u are refering too?
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #1578
eekz
Veteran

Reputation power: 39
eekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to alleekz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1330 View Post
Have Spitfires been pulled from the server due to the mass disconnects?
Yes. Currently Spitfire cause mass disconnect from the server under specific circumstances.
Damage Model
eekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:47 AM   #1579
Balzarog

Location: The Democratic People's Republic of Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Reputation power: 1
Balzarog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultFace View Post
tbh it's the same 2 or 3 people actually strafing every time anyway. Just ban them and be done with this nonsense.
That's the jist of the conversation that I've picked up. You have a few people who are vulching because they're not good enough to beat anyone in a dogfight! What better way to score kills than to get them while they're relatively defenseless!

The Germans usually weren't able to surprise the British and hit the Spits and Hurricanes on the ground and while taking off because of the Chain Home Defense. Why now have an announcement to notify an airfield when there are enemy inbound to give them time to get into the air and defend the base? If they can't deny the airspace over the base to the enemy, then it just sucks to be a new bird just taking off. That's more real-life than much of what I've read here.