Does the F18's prepurchase affect the F14s EA? - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #51
RaceFuel85

Reputation power: 3
RaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Idea Hat View Post
They scrapped a lot of their visuals thanks to laser scanning (stupid laser, what has it ever done for us).

So I think that set them back on an order of months, plus the crowded release schedule, plus Jester and its improvements, plus getting the flight model right.

There's a lot of places where the delays look to have piled up, but at least it looks like we're getting closer to a finished product than pure early-access.
Actually I believe they said they scrapped *all* of the visual assets (3d models, artwork, etc). The only things that were retained were the TCS pod we were shown and the individual cockpit panels (the ACM panel, front pit VSD , etc). They did this after visiting several museum Tomcats with a laser scanner and found they could realistically take it all to the next level (or crank it up to 11 as Spinaltap would say)..so they did.

LION 200
Commanding Officer, Fighter Squadron 213
CDR J. "Dog" Lotton

www.cvw-8.org
RaceFuel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #52
BlackLion213

Reputation power: 9
BlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFuel85 View Post
Actually I believe they said they scrapped *all* of the visual assets (3d models, artwork, etc). The only things that were retained were the TCS pod we were shown and the individual cockpit panels (the ACM panel, front pit VSD , etc). They did this after visiting several museum Tomcats with a laser scanner and found they could realistically take it all to the next level (or crank it up to 11 as Spinaltap would say)..so they did.
Indeed, though the TCS was actually just the first public example of the new artwork using the latest techniques. All the new interior images posted by Cobra (since November) are of the new artwork as well.

-Nick
BlackLion213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #53
Bad Idea Hat

Reputation power: 1
Bad Idea Hat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFuel85 View Post
I didn't want to say all, because I assumed that they had to have kept something.

So yeah, I feel like they're ahead of schedule at this point.
Bad Idea Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #54
Cobra847
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 46
Cobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to beholdCobra847 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, in many ways we're actually making really good time on certain features (in particular the entire rebuild of the aircraft's visual assets).

This is largely due to the massive increase of Tomcat assigned artist staff to rebuild the jet once we returned from our research trip in April.

We expected this expansion to be enough to meet our end of year estimates and deadlines, but unfortunately ramp up time was significantly longer than initially expected (For example, we realized we were woefully unprepared for such a large amount of data processing. We've been spending plenty of money paying for Amazon AWS this year, that much I can tell you. )

Director | Lead Artist
Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
Cobra847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #55
RaceFuel85

Reputation power: 3
RaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the roughRaceFuel85 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra847 View Post
Yes, in many ways we're actually making really good time on certain features (in particular the entire rebuild of the aircraft's visual assets).

This is largely due to the massive increase of Tomcat assigned artist staff to rebuild the jet once we returned from our research trip in April.

We expected this expansion to be enough to meet our end of year estimates and deadlines, but unfortunately ramp up time was significantly longer than initially expected (For example, we realized we were woefully unprepared for such a large amount of data processing. We've been spending plenty of money paying for Amazon AWS this year, that much I can tell you. )
Well it's like the old saying...Measure Twice, Cut Once. I don't think anyone will be complaining once the Tomcat is out that you and your team took the time and effort to blow us out of the water on the initial release than having to continuously update a..lukewarm product.

LION 200
Commanding Officer, Fighter Squadron 213
CDR J. "Dog" Lotton

www.cvw-8.org
RaceFuel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #56
33rd_Razorblade

Reputation power: 8
33rd_Razorblade is on a distinguished road

Is it still the Plan to release 1 Version of the Tomcat first and to a later time the other version?