How do DCS sims compare to Microsoft's FSX?

bofhlusr

I'm new to DCS.

I keep reading about how DCS is the best simulator available here.

Is this really true? FSX has some pretty complex planes. For example, this plane which is just an add-on costs $90.

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/FSX/777LRF.html

It's described as "......developed with technical input from Boeing and a team of real-life 777 crew and maintenance advisors,..."

Like I said, I'm new to DCS so I'm curious. Thanks.

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

DCS modules have a high standard quality. Technical inputs from real life references are similar to PMDG boeing aircrafts from what's been told to the public.

DCS MiG 21, for instance, relied on constant input and insight from a real life MiG 21 pilot.

I had my small share on PMDG aircraft experience and it really compares to a DCS standard and vice versa. They may be on the same level. FMCs modeled by PMDG I remmember being pretty thick and full fidelity, it was the most remarkable feature from that product and can be compared to the immense depth feature as the DCS A-10C electronics.

You can not expect a fighter jet or attack jet to have so many buttons or switches as a commercial passenger jet (stating the obvious), but as fidelity, both are among the top really close.

As physics or flight model are taken into consideration, DCS have higher definition.

Expect way better fps on DCS world also.

I hope I've helped. Good luck and be very welcome! : )

Good Flying

I'm not 100 percent familiar with FSX but first of, what are you interested in ? The example you provided is civil aviation. DCS is primarily military.

For starters if you want a taste of how detailed DCS is just give a go of the A-10c or Ka-50, fixed wing or rotor whichever suits your fancy. I think you will be blown away.

I can assure you that DCS is totally on another level, as a flight sim. I am used to FSX and flought it for years.

A friend of mine recently obtained p3d v2, and I must say that what really stands out in DCS (besides the fact it's a military sim, so you have weapons, sensors, tactics and so on), is the physical model. In DCS, you can really feel that your AC is subject to the forces involved in flight; something which FSX/P3D are really lacking, after you try out DCS. You also get the feeling that the flight model has a much "bigger resolution" - your AC responds to the slightest command you give it in a much more realistic way imho.

Plus, if you are into choppers, DCS is something to which FSX can't even compare - You know it is a helicopter sim, and not an airplane sim adapted to helis.

Add to that that every CS module is lilke adding a new flightsim, that you have to learn almost entirely.

My suggestion is, give DCS a try, besides, the flightsim and some planes are free, and are enough to get a good feel of it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

One thing which i would include. DCS has two levels of fidelity. One is called FC3 which has no clickable cockpits other are called DCS level which have clickable cockpits.

In terms of flight modeling and system design DCS stands from every aspect.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

fsx physic engine is limited and buggy if you compare with DCS.

note: it don't disturbs you if you fly with airliner or civilian aircrafts but if you want to push the limits of a fighter aircraft, fsx is not recommended.

Edited by theropod

Both FSX and the various DCS titles will give you the feeling of flight--I fly both. Some of the older DCS Flaming Cliffs models such as the Su-33 have a very FSX feel to them. Those modules with the advanced and/or professional flight model feel much more realistic.

For the years that I've flown FSX, I've always thought of it as flight sim lite. I've enjoyed it because I can jump into anything and fly it. Usually pretty well. While I like FSX for casual flying, the high end DCS titles such as the A-10C take a lot of flight time to master. Aircraft like the Flaming Cliffs 3 F-15C or Su-27 take less practice time before you can enjoy them and still have a much more satisfying feel than FSX.

As pointed out, however, these are military aircraft and, so, there are two aspects that you'll have to deal with. The first is learning to fly the aircraft. The second is using it as a weapons platform. That represents a completely different skill set. That being said, you can use the sim as I currently am and just enjoy the flying itself. Unfortunately, unlike FSX, the map is limited. You don't have the world to fly in. Just a small part of it.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

${1}

When you Download DCS world. You get a civilian mustang without guns for free which has the level of detail you can expect from buying any of the additional planes and then the frogfoot is more in line with the DCS level of detail.

You can only really decide by using the free planes buy downloading DCS world and then in that case if you don't like it you loose only a bit of time.

Some of the fc3 planes are slowly getting their flight models tuned to be more accurate.

I played with the free mustang and frogfoot for ages before buying any extra planes. The 190 turned me. I wanted to fly a more real 109. Each plane takes a lot of work to learn and master. From the prop plane aspect the mustang is the easiest one to learn.

If you go down the prop plane route you have to contend with finding your enemy, dealing with the flight characteristics which you can do in the usual variety of weather and light conditions learning air combat manoeuvres to stop you getting shot down and learning how to lead a target using the specific planes sight while keeping the engine going. Starting the prop planes is usually quite simple, but being good with them is still a real challenge.

You've got the jets which even in fc3 are a challenge to master with their jet acms and using the sometimes complicated on board systems.

Then finally the helicopters with their own traits.

You could easily buy one module out of the current lineup and have a really worthwhile and fun experience. There is no need to buy all of them and you could buy a jet, helicopter and prop plane. No path to be locked in to.

Master or get bored of the ai? Then go online and see how good you really are.

The only real problem is the map. It's good, but sometimes I wish I could fly over something a little more interesting.

You could also try IL2 - cliffs of dover/ battle of starlingrad that is less sim and more for the fighting aspect or you could even join the war thunder crowd where you can spend half the year grinding to play jets.

Anyway. FSX, DCS. Whatever. If you like them both, play them both. Not really a fan of flying the sardine carriers to be honest and war thunder turned out to be a lot of pretty, empty models.

Edited by BFBunny