Rreally new to FC3 - 1st basic, basic question

bofhlusr

How new? I had a heck of a time logging in to this forum. I kept entering my username and password and resetting several times, using my credentials for the DCS website (digitalcombatsimulator.com); not realizing that this forum uses a different login and password. I wish they made that clearer to newbies like me when they buy their products.

My basic, basic question:

Is there a detailed manual on how to fly and land the A-10A in FC3? Something like a walk through, for example:

To fly:

1. Press button x to start engine

2. Increase throttle to 50%

3. Arm master switches (which ones?)

4. Release brakes (what button?)

5. Adjust flaps...

etc.

I'm looking for a detailed walk through tutorial, not a reference manual or user's guide telling me _where_ and _what_ the buttons are for. Instead, I need to know *how* and preferably also *why*.

I see a lot of people enjoying this game. Please help me have fun with this too.

Thanks!

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

Nice reference manual but I'm looking for a tutorial. Thanks all the same.

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

Hello and welcome.

The following tutorials helped me a lot and I recommend them to anyone new to DCS. However, the tutorial covers the Su-25t. It is a good aircraft to start with, probably as much as A-10a, they are both on the FC3 level of complexity.

p.s. the author of the tutorial plans to make a tutorial on A-10a sometime.

Edited by Sciatis

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."

- Lord Inquisitor Fyodor Karamazov

This is ED's opportunity to shine to provide additional training (even if they charge for it via their new DLC options). The "hows" and "whys" are definitely worthy of explaining to anyone interested wanting to get into DCS.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

If you have fc3 then there are training videos you can download from the in game menu. It takes you step by step on what you need to do to operate the aircraft

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Welcome to the awesome world of DCS! The learning curve may appear steep but once you get into it you will really enjoy it.

There are lots of good videos online for training.

Once you are ready you can try your hand at our Qualification Campaigns.

They are also a good learning / training tool too.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Great encyclopedia or flight manual but it has no tutorial. Thanks anyway.

Training videos

If you have fc3 then there are training videos you can download from the in game menu. It takes you step by step on what you need to do to operate the aircraft

Found them. They have *.ogv file formats. After viewing the first one, I still have no idea how to taxi the plane. The tutorial starts ready for take-off in the runway but there are no instructions on how it got there.

What happens after I take off? Where do I go? Is there a tutorial on how to create missions?

Edited by bofhlusr

I'm getting very frustrated here. Is there a listing of keyboard shortcuts somewhere?? Thanks.

Found them. They have *.ogv file formats. After viewing the first one, I still have no idea how to taxi the plane. The tutorial stars ready for take-off in the runway but there are not instructions on how it got there.

What happens after I take off? Where do I go? Is there a tutorial on how to create missions?

So there is also a set of training videos called flight school which is also for fc3 it has the old Fc2 graphics but all the controls are the same. That will teach you how to taxi takeoff and navigate.

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

I'm getting very frustrated here. Is there a listing of keyboard shortcuts somewhere?? Thanks.

Oh in the main menu, go to options and then controls select the aircraft you want to learn the key commands and it will list them.

Hope that helps

Found them. They have *.ogv file formats. After viewing the first one, I still have no idea how to taxi the plane. The tutorial starts ready for take-off in the runway but there are no instructions on how it got there.

I gave you a link to excellent video tutorials from which you can gain a lot of basic information, including most common keybinds. It covers starting up an aircraft, contacting ATC, taxing to a correct runway, etc. to landing and turning off the aircrtaft and everything inbetween.

You cannot not know how to taxi to a runway if you watched this.

The keyboard shortcuts are very similar between most FC3 aircrafts.

Edited by Sciatis
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."

- Lord Inquisitor Fyodor Karamazov

@Sciatis,

Thanks. I didn't realize they have similar controls. I'll view them.

Love the quote by Karamazov.

@BFBunny, and why must the path have to be difficult when it doesn't have to be? Why learn kung fu from the Shaolin temple when I can just blow my enemies away with my A-10? Same result. :-)

Addendum: I know what you are saying though. It's the journey that is the reward. Still though, if I'm the one selling DCS sims I would make the Flaming Cliffs series even more approachable to everyone by providing more documentation that can easily be found hoping that these casual users would eventually appricate hard core sims.

Side note: I know it probably has something to do with being a Russian but why the heck is it called Flaming Cliffs?? (I'm in the U.S. and I would never have thought of a cliff in flames. Buildings and forests, yes. Cliffs? No.) And what is the Bazar folder? Is that an acronym or a Russian name? I'm not dishing the naming conventions. Just curious on why things are the way they are.

Edited by bofhlusr

Thanks SilentGun for not being silent. :-)

@Sciatis, I was just thinking. If the controls are basically similar, I wonder why DCS has not come up with the Apache helo? That would be fun. In the last century, I played around with EECH (helo flight sim). Maybe I should take a look at what DCS has for helo sims. Wish they had the Apache though.

I don't know, does not seem like the same thing to me. I know what you want to say but that analogy does not fit at all (;

@BFBunny, and why must the path have to be difficult when it doesn't have to be? Why learn kung fu from the Shaolin temple when I can just blow them away with my A-10? Same result. :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

All FC3 planes use these same basic commands:

To start up:

1) Main power on (right shift L)

2) Left engine start (right alt home)

3) Right engine start (right ctrl home)

4) Taxi/Landing/off lights (right Alt L, cycles through those 3 positions)

5) Navigation lights on/blink/off (right ctrl L)

6) Landing gear up/down (G)

7) Flaps up/down (F)

To navigate press 1 (not number pad 1) to cycle navigation modes. The default is none, press again for route, a third time for return, fourth press for landing and 5th for back to none.

To attack ground targets, press 7. This has but a single mode I think. At this point you select your weapons, lock targets, and fire weapons. The trigger is used on most planes to fire both the gun and missiles/rockets/bombs. On the A-10, the trigger is gun only and a second fire button is used for other weapons.

An additional note, the Maverick missiles on the A-10 automatically lock on to targets near where they are pointed. No independent lock key exists. Just slew the seaker near the desired target and when close enough, it should lock and track it.

As for actually firing the weapons, that really depends on what joystick you are using. The trigger is always fire by default, but as said, the A-10 has 2 fire buttons. So what the second one is will vary. In the controls menu in game, look up the A-10A and go to the weapons filter. This will declutter the list greatly and you should be able to fine the relevant keys/buttons quickly.

Edit: I got super ninja'd, about a dozen responses while I typed this.

In regards to helo's, they are great. My favorite ride in game is the Ka-50. The helicopters are full study sim aircraft though. They are substantially more complicated than the FC3 planes. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from them, as said, I love my whirlybirds. But you will be spending a few evenings watching videos and doing tutorial missions to learn it all. And then it takes weeks of practice to master.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

All FC3 planes use these same basic commands:

To start up:

1) Main power on (right shift L)

2) Left engine start (right alt home)

3) Right engine start (right ctrl home)

Nice. Highly appreciated. Nice start. You should expand this and come up with a detailed tutorial and make it a 'sticky'. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

The manuals for each dcs module should be found in the dcsworld/mods/(module name)/docs folder.

Thats a good place to start.

Then there are guides around for most of them, like this excellent one here

http://www.mudspike.com/dcs-f-15c-combat-guide-for-beginners/

or vids like this

I find that its better to use google rather than the forum search engine to find stuff... just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm with you Bro.

There is no training as such given for the A10.

I have given up on all but one of the aircraft in FC3, because there is no tuition.

I got tired of searching for it as you get 2 results for the A10A and the rest is all A10C.

The results you do get are mostly players showing off.

" I can show you how to navigate" " you line your missile up on the target and "

No, please wait. I need to know how to navigate in the aircraft. Is there an auto pilot? How do I operate it?

"yeah well ya need to line up your attack run and"

Stop, please. What do I need to do between turning the power on and becoming an ace killer like you?

"well you need to load ya pods with these things and swing in from the"

Thank you, someone is at the door, I need to go over there now.

I did come across a really good tutorial, some guy called Robert ?. Only on the Su25T.

If I had known this program was only for qualified experts I don't think I would have bothered.

I certainly would not have spent money on FC3 if I had known you have to just mash the keyboard controls until something happens, then work it out for yourself what it did, and why.

I just keep plugging away at it, every now and then something works.

But no, we are pretty much on our own Bro.

Most of these experts as you call them simply read the manual, everything is pretty much explained there. It's part and parcel of simulation as opposed to buying a pick up and play game.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I did some searching for you. This was the first hit. Youtube channel is from Teach Yourself DCS. He also shows the keybinds in there. If you want to change those key binds go to the control settings. Choose F-15 and press the same key binds as you learned from the video. This will bring you straight to the correct place where you can change that said key bind.

The most important F-15 guide to read is the DCS Combat guide for beginners: http://www.mudspike.com/dcs-f-15c-combat-guide-for-beginners/

How to START UP AND TAKE OFF right away for instant fun and crazy maneuvers (if you don't want to read the manual):

F-15 Navigation (Really old Flaming Cliffs Official Eagle Dynamics tutorial video):

From take off to using the radar:

How to land:

And you feel comfortable enough to take on another challenge. And you know how the radar works. You can go to this guy's channel:

Playlist:

And if you feel really brave try some Air to Air refueling:

If you don't know how to do something somebody said in the video google it or youtube it. Use search things like this "FC3 F-15C how to put put the gear up". To search on the ED forums i also use google. Just search for "ED forum F-15c missile evasion".

Also disclaimer.. The missiles need a lot of work. And the SU-27 wings break of (for a good reason). If you get to this point and you are curious why, don't jump to conclusions and start asking those questions on the forum. They have been discussed to dead. Almost everything has been discussed to dead here. So if you wanne know something, don't understand something, or think something is not realistic search for it first and read the post before asking a question. You will be reading a shit load.

If you want to fly online. Some nice reminders:

I thought let me make this little guide with important things to know and remember when playing online in a combat server. It's just some key points that are hard to find on the forums if you don't read everything. I am in no way a expert on this and there are people that know alot more than me. Just some reminders. Feel free to correct me or add things. I will keep this updated.

* Read the manual and make sure you know the basic key strokes.

* When flying F-15 a dot on your radar is friendly and a bar is enemy.

* When flying F-15 if you lock up a friendly there will be a cross through your target designation box.

* When flying the Russian planes a 2 stacked up bars on your radar/HUD is friendly and a single bar is enemy.

* When flying a MIG or SU and you are using EOS/IRST you will NOT be able to identify friend from foe. Just switch really quick to your normal radar and back to IFF the target. Unless you are 100% certain.

* When damaged on the Taxi or next to the runway please don't EJECT. It will leave the wreck on the runway or the explosion can damage close by planes. Go to spectate mode and choose your plane again. This will let your plane disappear.

* Alot of bars stacking up on your Radar/HUD like a big line means somebody is jamming/has his ECM on.

* Depending on the server Take off from the left side and land on the right side.

* Your plane has a RWR bllind spot. 45 degrees for F-15 and 30 degrees for Russian fighters. You won't get any warning when locked on and be fired at from the death zone.

* When a ET is fired you won't get any warning and you will just explode. Always be prepared for a ET shot when engaged by a Mig or SU. Especially when he suddenly turns defensive in close range. Dispense flares and keep moving left/right. Most of the time it will miss.

* Don't go randomly lock friendly's.

* To fire your missiles when in the F-15 hold the fire button for a second or two.

* Don't fly straight into the enemy keep him in your gimbal limits of your radar if possible. If i'm correct that is called cranking.

* Watch out for ambushes. If you see somebody turn around and it doesn't make sens you are being ambushed.

* Don't refuel/rearm on the runway.

* Program your radar vertical scan buttons on your HOTAS instead of keeping it as a keyboard command. It will help you better with finding enemy's.

* Remember that this game can be buggy sometimes and weird things will happen.

- Semi active = FOX 1 (Example: AIM-7)

- IR missile = FOX 2 (Example: AIM9)

- Active = FOX 3 (Example: AMRAAM)

- For a ET some people call FOX 4 (Example: R-27ET)

* RAYGUN means that you are locking a friendly. You or they respond with BUDDY SPIKE or CLEAN.

* A SPIKE is somebody that is locking you.

* A NAIL is a radar source tracking or atleast a radar source searching.

* A 29 NAIL or SPIKE on your RWR (Radar Warning Receiver) can be a MIG or a SU.

* MUSIC ON = ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) is on. Turn it on by pressing E. It will have a 15 seconds warm up time.

* Defaulth Chat button is ` and defaulth chat button for Team is right CTRL+`

* Defaulth Radio button is You can call Rearm and refuel from there as well.

* Make sure your engines are off when asking for Refuel/Rearm/Repair.

Have fun and see you in the air. I hope this helps a little. And it will make it less annoying for other people as well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRplfl9hwE3Xk3qdvqv9ACPX5w7a7TzfJu-B18-9jI1Tj_BnTQ6

After you read understand and are comfortable with most of this you can take the ultimate step and go learn how to fly one of the full fledged modules with interactive cockpit. Flaming Cliffs 3 planes are just super sweet starters. Below you can find the Mirage manual for a full DCS experience. Manual is a bit bigger then the F-15 :) :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3WnVhcm5hTUJOTjg/view

If you need some inspiration:

Any questions. Feel free to come back.

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Yeah, I'm with you Bro.

There is no training as such given for the A10.

I have given up on all but one of the aircraft in FC3, because there is no tuition.

I got tired of searching for it as you get 2 results for the A10A and the rest is all A10C.

The results you do get are mostly players showing off.

" I can show you how to navigate" " you line your missile up on the target and "

No, please wait. I need to know how to navigate in the aircraft. Is there an auto pilot? How do I operate it?

"yeah well ya need to line up your attack run and"

Stop, please. What do I need to do between turning the power on and becoming an ace killer like you?

"well you need to load ya pods with these things and swing in from the"

Thank you, someone is at the door, I need to go over there now.

I did come across a really good tutorial, some guy called Robert ?. Only on the Su25T.

If I had known this program was only for qualified experts I don't think I would have bothered.

I certainly would not have spent money on FC3 if I had known you have to just mash the keyboard controls until something happens, then work it out for yourself what it did, and why.

I just keep plugging away at it, every now and then something works.

But no, we are pretty much on our own Bro.

So, how do you think the so called "experts" learned DCS? It may be that much of what's out there is for those with significant DCS time under their belt but they all had to learn (except for the real pilots) at some point - if you can't find help neither could they.

It sounds like you "expect" someone to hold your hand while you learn, will you do the same once you become the expert?

DCS is complicated, I'm terrible even though I've spent considerable time reading and watching youtube videos. Basically, no pain-no-gain! It's not easy for many of us, I don't expect someone to hold my hand though.

I don't mean to attack, I'm just adding to the discussion.

• Like 1