Virpil MongoosT-50 Base settings

Hi everyone,

Last week I received my MongoosT-50 Base, and wow what a great upgrade from the Thrustmaster Warthog base.

A whole new world.

I was aware of the sensitivity and what this thing is able to register as movemement, it even register movement when my wife yells at me to come down and eat, or make me do some other boring household stuff, from the floor below. (You imagine the vibration through the floor and walls??)

Yesterday I searched the forums for some deadzone settings/curve settings and found very little or it was hard to find. I even went through the 198 pages long thread "Introducing the MongoosT-50 Base" and found users mentioning some settings, but I would like to hear with you out there what and where you are adjusting these settings.

So my questions are:

1. What is your deadzone settings, and where do you set them? In DCS or in the VPC Configurator Light?

2. What about the curves, what are your curves settings?

This is just to get a "baseline" from probably more experienced sim-pilots than myself instead of inventing the wheel all over and avoid using far off settings.

I know this is mostly user preferences also...

Some like it very sensitive, some like it not so sensitive etc..

Intel i7-8700K 4.8Ghz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windblows 10, 512 SSD

Virpil MongoosT-50 base with TM Warthog Stick

TM Warthog Throttle

MFG Crosswind

HP Reverb G1

Very interested in the results! My T-50 shipped a couple of days ago.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I've only been using mine for a few weeks and not a huge amount but I've upgraded from a CH Flightstick. The difference is insane. On my first attempt at aerial refuelling the Mirage with the CH stick I failed completely and gave up after half an hour of flailing around wildly.

First try (second overall) with the T50 and I connected in about a minute and filled up in one go, no disconnects.

Not flown a huge amount yet but I've used it with the Mirage and Harrier.

I use no deadzone and a slight curve of around 5/6 on both pitch and roll set in DCS, with no plans to change it at the moment.

I'm also using the standard internal settings of soft centre cam and medium spring, which I like.

Very interested in the results! My T-50 shipped a couple of days ago.

how long ago did you order yours?

Ive had mine ordered since 3/14/2018 and still have not received a shipping notice or tracking info.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this lack of info and long delay, especially since they have CASHED the check since 3/14

Ive had mine ordered since 3/14/2018 and still have not received a shipping notice or tracking info.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this lack of info and long delay, especially since they have CASHED the check since 3/14

You should maybe contact their support, I ordered mine on the 24th and its already on the way.

That's pretty standard - when I ordered mine they took the money immediately then long wait with zero or ambiguous updates after sending a ticket. It shipped about 2 weeks later.

They have really good product, but they need to work on fulfillment time/customer service, they don't seem to get it yet. It's not easy too, so I'd give them some slack.

Back on topic, I use mine with 7.5 com extension, and default springs/cams, springs set to about medium stiffness. I may try soft springs, but just out of curiosity and only when I am bored, I don't like to tweak things. Works great with this setup.

Edited by mdee

That's pretty standard - when I ordered mine they took the money immediately then long wait with zero or ambiguous updates after sending a ticket. It shipped about 2 weeks later.

They have really good product, but they need to work on fulfillment time/customer service, they don't seem to get it yet. It's not easy too, so I'd give them some slack.

Back on topic, I use mine with 7.5 com extension, and default springs/cams, springs set to about medium stiffness. I may try soft springs, but just out of curiosity and only when I am bored, I don't like to tweak things. Works great with this setup.

zero or ambiguous updates after sending a ticket

I agree with you this is the part that bothers me.

An email saying we are working on your order but are behind in shipping is ok to do to let your customer know something is happening.

Zero movement on your order status

Zero emails saying anything puts you in the limbo land what the heck is going on!

Edited by Panp

I got mine in 1 week from the EU shop.

Standard cams and springs are what I have settled on too - after stripping it down and rebuilding it with every combination possible.

I have always run with zero curves and zero dead zone, and so far that's where I am sticking with the T50 too.

Love the stick, and particularly the option to swap the grip and still use the Warthog when I fly the A-10C. It looks solidly built, and the finish is fine too.

Ordered mine from Amazon.de the week before they opened the EU store (I was aware of the new EU store when I ordered, but I am as patient as my kids), and it was on its way the same day I placed the order.

Cant complain about that.

Thanks for the updates on the settings part so far guys

Intel i7-8700K 4.8Ghz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windblows 10, 512 SSD

Virpil MongoosT-50 base with TM Warthog Stick

TM Warthog Throttle

MFG Crosswind

HP Reverb G1

Installed soft spring just out of curiosity and I like them better (same as before 7.5 cm extension). - stick requires much less force to move around and it's very smooth. I don't tense up at all when I play, so that allows me to move the stick just with my fingers. it's a very personal preference, so I'd recommend trying them both.

I'll try to install no center cam next, but couldn't be arsed to find my soldering iron and fiddle with thread-locked cams this time round :)

Soft springs and soft center cams ended up being my preference.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Soft springs and soft center cams ended up being my preference.

Ditto, I'm on T50 number 2 right now, and after trying every combination, I feel this is by far the best combination. That said, they have a new "space" cam coming out, which will keep the soft center (it won't be a "no bump" like one of the cams included with the current T50 packages), but it will have a reduction in the progression of tension as you move to the outer areas of the stick sweeps in both directions. IE same perfect small center bump, but with a steady amount of tension (limited) from that center to max deflection. This will improve that which is already fantastic IMO.

I compared the T50 with the current small bump cam available with the current light springs, to be reminiscent of the old Thrustmaster F22/F16TQS HOTAS blended together with a CH Fighterstick. Obviously with a vastly superior gimbal/buttons/etc/etc, however so far as how the stick motion feels, this is the best way I can describe it. 95% perfect for me, the new cam I'm certain will push this to 100%

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Hi everyone,

So my questions are:

1. What is your deadzone settings, and where do you set them? In DCS or in the VPC Configurator Light?

2. What about the curves, what are your curves settings?

I have mine since September 2017. I used it mostly with the TM WH grip.

I do not use deadzone or curves with any of my aircrafts. There is no need.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Got mine today too. :D All stock right now, will probably change the springs to the soft ones but it felt great for the first flight in DCS out of the box. :joystick::thumbup:

I had only one problem, i had only my axis working, no button/hat worked. In the windows gamecontroller menu you could them see all "pressed/red". As it turned out my T-50CM doesn't like to be connected via my active USB-HUB, where all my flight equipment is connected. If i connect it via a single/free USB port on my mainboard everything is fine. Now i can't wait for the Virpil throttle to replace my TM Warthog throttle.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Stange, mine is connected through a powered hub and is fine. Also, I think Virpil recommends that you do not use the windows game controller, just use their software.

Yep mine is connected though a powered hub as well, has been solid for me for months.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Stange, mine is connected through a powered hub and is fine. Also, I think Virpil recommends that you do not use the windows game controller, just use their software.

I plugged in the T-50(powered hub) and started DCS, customized the assigned axis for the MI-8 and did my first test flight with the T-50 in the MI-8. I wanted to assign the Trim and Trim-reset buttons to the stick but it was impossible. Quit DCS and looked in the windows game controller to check the function, there i saw that all buttons shone red, like if they were pressed, but didn't react, only the axis were fine. I didn't use the windows game controller menu to callibrate the stick, i started the Virpil software to do so, but without improvement. So i plugged the stick into a free USB port on the back of my PC and everything was fine, back to the USB hub and the buttons stop working, back to the free USB port on the back of my PC again and everything is fine again. I have 6 other devices on that hub, i will test at the weekend if one of them is interfering with the stick.

But after my first tests with this stick i can already say I LOVE IT! Nice work Virpil. :thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I plugged in the T-50(powered hub) and started DCS, customized the assigned axis for the MI-8 and did my first test flight with the T-50 in the MI-8. I wanted to assign the Trim and Trim-reset buttons to the stick but it was impossible. Quit DCS and looked in the windows game controller to check the function, there i saw that all buttons shone red, like if they were pressed, but didn't react, only the axis were fine. I didn't use the windows game controller menu to callibrate the stick, i started the Virpil software to do so, but without improvement. So i plugged the stick into a free USB port on the back of my PC and everything was fine, back to the USB hub and the buttons stop working, back to the free USB port on the back of my PC again and everything is fine again. I have 6 other devices on that hub, i will test at the weekend if one of them is interfering with the stick.

But after my first tests with this stick i can already say I LOVE IT! Nice work Virpil. :thumbup:

I think I had a similar experience.You may have to try going over the setup procedure again.

When I first got my Virpil stick, axis was working but had some crazy button action, pretty much did not work.

A quick check and I did not have the plug seated in good, re-seated it properly and all was well.

Not saying that is the case here, but if one has some button weirdness upon first hookup take a look at how the plug is seated.

Don B