AI Look-Down Radar

AI F-5E and MiG-21bis incorrectly have a look-down capable radar.

See attached sample mission, featuring a blue F-4E, F-5E and MiG-21bis flying at 8000m versus a red A-10 flying at 30m. Despite not having a look-down capable radar, both the AI F-5E and MiG-21 detect the target at ground level with their radar and engage. The AI F-4E correctly does not detect the target.

The issue was already submitted to the Leatherneck bug tracker (for the MiG-21), but Magnitude 3 says it is an ED problem: https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=597

Look_Down_Radar.miz

• 5 months later...

This is still a problem. AI F-5 and MiG-21 incorrectly have a look-down capable radar. The F-4E correctly do not detect low flying aircraft, proving that the basic functionality is working. It seems the Tiger and the MiG-21 are not correctly configured.

• 1 year later...

This old issue persists. Not only are AI F-5E-3 and MiG-21bis look-down capable, which they should not be, they also have the incredible radar target detection range of over 150 NM!

Generally, there seems to be something wrong with the AI radar model. AI aircraft seems to have identical look-down and co-alt radar performance. And for example even the MiG-29 has a look-down detection range against a small fighter (Tiger) of 90 NM. Both things I remember to have been considerably better several years ago. Did the AI radar model break and no one noticed?

Also see here, bug report that is still applicable stuck in the 2.0 legacy section:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198655

Edited by MBot

With the recent release of the updated MiG-29, my XO and me tested this behaviour by having me in a Hornet and him in a MiG-29 going head-to-head.

Via voice communication we ensured to be exactly head-on and co-altitude.

Basically, I had him locked up (he had no idea where he was being locked from) and had a missile in the air towards him before he even detected me with his radar. Now repeat this scenario with an AI MiG-29 and see what happens ;-)

Granted, this is not a look-down/shoot-down scenario, but indeed proves the point that radar is very weird when it comes to AI.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I'm working on a deep strike low level flight mission for the Tiger and the unrealistic look-down capability of the enemy MiG-21s is giving me a headache!

Pls fix!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg