Next map after Malvinas - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #21
Gierasimov

Exclamation To the contrary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpipe View Post
Ok so,

B - As was mentioned before on several threads, whatever modules they are working on don't really impact the map making as the map guys are a different team/person/persons according to razbam who's job is to make maps for DCS. So i doubt it is beyond the scope of imagination that they may already be looking at another map.
I would imagine they are looking at the map currently in process rather than "at another one". Frankly I sure hope so, as looking at what was presented so far, we are far away from a completed product that can offer any considerable quality.
One could also argue that quality island map for free is still better than lower quality island that costs $$$, no matter actual island geopolitical status, name, or in fact, if it allows for so called realistic scenarios.
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #22
peeter

Any Vietnam Map ?
peeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #23
Кош

Angola or Cold War Germany(east/west) would be a blast.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #24
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpipe View Post
Yeah, agreed.

Not sure about the pilot bods, i only got the mirage recently so haven't experienced it with the pilot body so not missing anything but would be nice to see a harrier pilot soon. I am sure they will come as RB seem to have alot planned for this year/quarter.
The only reason I brought it up was that the m2k had a pilot (a decent one IMO), it was pulled for some mysterious reason. Now we have an update on a new body, they also teased a harrier pilot like nearly a year ago or more too. So I do get that its a complicated project from the art standpoint, but the razbam artists are great and perhaps less overworked than the coders. So, I'm also wondering if there is something code wise that could be holding it up too (animation maybe?).

As for the whole name of the region, I do think Razbam is right to keep it as neutral as possible. Still lots of strong feelings on both sides. And yeah being from Scotland you probably don't care for Maggie much.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #25
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Кош View Post
Angola or Cold War Germany(east/west) would be a blast.
Too many trees

Also for the cold war, way too many cities/details/cars etc not to mention actual unit counts would cripple DCS. I actually think an interesting area could be on the other side of the world near Vladivostok for a hypothetical ww3, you'd get to use the carriers too. That or some bit of the balkans. Though carriers in the adriatic is about as likely as the black sea.

Angola could be interesting but its too big of an area relative to current DCS maps, even if you got around the "tree" problem. Plus while an Africa map could be cool, its not terribly relevant aside from the one small brushfire conflict there. Plus then you get the politics of it too, which well, might as well go balls out and do a Rhodesia map too... Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader and all that.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #26
ngreenaway

with angola, id finally have a use for cuban skins! since a cuban map is unlikely, at least.

honestly, id prefer korea or vietnam- we have iconic aircraft from the era(and more on the way, and even more on our never-ending collective wishlist), but no real appropriate setting to fly them in

its kinda pointless flying an f-86 in modern caucasus region, mig-15 around dubai
ngreenaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:33 PM   #27
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreenaway View Post
with angola, id finally have a use for cuban skins! since a cuban map is unlikely, at least.

honestly, id prefer korea or vietnam- we have iconic aircraft from the era(and more on the way, and even more on our never-ending collective wishlist), but no real appropriate setting to fly them in

its kinda pointless flying an f-86 in modern caucasus region, mig-15 around dubai
Ill disagree about the caucus and the migs and sabers. Could have been ww3 inthe 50s-60s there.

PG, not sure if they were operated, but iran has lots f5s and f4s. Gulf states had mirage f1s. (Pending modules mind you but in the pipe at least).
Old 01-10-2020, 12:47 AM   #28
ngreenaway

im not saying such things couldnt be done, but youll find a wider audience (and ROI) for recreating areas/eras more suited for the aircraft available. doing a good map of a historical conflict area is essentially a license to print money

sure, straits of hormuz is great for "what if" scenarios, but a northern persian gulf map- at least the intersection of sauidi arabia, kuwait, iraq&iran would be far more useful in both historic& make-believe scenarios, as well as provide some use for combined arms.

flying classic aircraft over modern cities is about as immersive as modern jets on the Normandy map. sure, it can be done, but its not as interesting

or you can go all in on the make believe, declare batumi to be the capital of the people's republic of carjackistan , fly spitfires out of there to wreak havoc on the surrounding area- but it wouldnt be so easy getting others as interested as, say, flying hueys to drop off troops throughout vietnam, or recreating the highway of death in an a-10 in kuwait, iran/iraq tanker war...
ngreenaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:36 AM   #29
Harlikwin
Veteran

I agree wholebeartedly. But when ED purposefully goes out of their way to make non-political maps? Thats what you get. I mean the whole C in dcs is "combat" not "kum ba ya" but until some better maps get made it is what it is. Personally i was surprised that Syria and Afghanistan are "happening", even if the afg map is the permissive enviroment bombing simulator map.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #30
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
(...) or some bit of the balkans. Though carriers in the adriatic is about as likely as the black sea.
Well, actually... I mean, at least in the past... during the Kosovo war.

https://youtu.be/U4YhAsb-CfQ

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote