A7 Corsair - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
Jester986
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,317
Default

I actually did some digging on that because I was wondering why did these two coexist in the navy? Are they not redundant? What I came up with was the A-7 was intended for close air support and "see the target, kill the target". While the A-6 wasn't quite as good at that type of work it was much better at pinpoint all weather day or night strikes. So if its a target of opportunity you send and A-7 and if its preplanned you send the A-6. The F-18 was able to take over the A-7's role earlier than the A-6's and thats why the 6 stayed in service longer.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #12
Angelthunder
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester986 View Post
I actually did some digging on that because I was wondering why did these two coexist in the navy? Are they not redundant? What I came up with was the A-7 was intended for close air support and "see the target, kill the target". While the A-6 wasn't quite as good at that type of work it was much better at pinpoint all weather day or night strikes. So if its a target of opportunity you send and A-7 and if its preplanned you send the A-6. The F-18 was able to take over the A-7's role earlier than the A-6's and thats why the 6 stayed in service longer.
The A-7 was supposed to be the Navy's Light Attacker replacement for the A-4 Skyhawk while the Intruder took over the Nuclear Deep Strike role for the A-3 Skywarrior,it's predecessor.Both roles are now fulfilled by the Hornets and Super Hornets of today.
Angelthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #13
QuiGon
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 13,189
Default

AFAIK the A-7 had one of the first HUDs worldwide and CCIP which enabled their pilots to drop bombs in CAS environments with an accuracy that has never been seen before.
__________________
Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!


Last edited by QuiGon; 01-16-2020 at 09:58 AM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #14
QuiGon
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 13,189
Default

I just noticed that Silver Dragon has referred to the screenshot as "A-7 AI" in his roadmap thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...postcount=1649

I thought this was supposed to be a playable aircraft? Unfortunately I don't have discord so I can't check the source as RAZBAM doesn't post these things on the forums...
__________________
Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!


Last edited by QuiGon; 01-16-2020 at 11:34 AM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #15
MBot
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester986 View Post
I actually did some digging on that because I was wondering why did these two coexist in the navy? Are they not redundant?
You are not that far off. The Navy had the same idea with the Grumman Air Wing, which had 2 A-6 squadrons instead of the standard one A-6/two A-7 squadons. But this was ultimately only implemented on the Kennedy and the Ranger. I think this was due costs, the Intruder being just much more expensive. The USAF followed a similar high-low mix with the F-15/F-16.

I think it is correct that the Corsair, due to its HUD with CCIP/CCRP, was the more accurate daylight bomber of the two. Even the early Hornets did not surpass the Corsair in dumb bomb accuracy, only matching it (while carrying less bombs, less far).
MBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #16
Snappy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 203
Default

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know by chance whether the radar in the A-7 (D and E variants) had a basic air to air capability? I know its in no way a fighter, and that it carried the AIM-9 only for self defense, but I mean for gun ranging or lead computation?


Regards,
Snappy
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #17
Santus
Member
 
Santus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Thessaloniki, Hellas
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
I just noticed that Silver Dragon has referred to the screenshot as "A-7 AI" in his roadmap thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...postcount=1649

I thought this was supposed to be a playable aircraft? Unfortunately I don't have discord so I can#t check the source as RAZBAM doesn't post these things on the forums...
I have no clue why Silver Dragon listed it as an AI aircraft.

Both Prowler and Zeus have stated that it is their wish to bring the A7 to DCS as a flyable module and that what pushed it back in line is the absence of an air to ground radar by ED.

Yes it is long down the line, but they seem determined.
__________________

***Livery downloads*** ***Livery Catalog***
Santus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #18
WinterH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,799
Default

I wonder where did AI came from too. As far as I know, it doesn't really tie-in to any existing or upcoming theater or Razbam module.
__________________
Modules:
MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk T1A, C-101, FC3, A-10C, CA, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, L-39, MiG-15Bis, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, Yak-52, Christen Eagle II, MiG-19, I-16, JF-17, F-14, F/A-18C, Fw-190A8, AV-8B/NA

Mods:
A-4E & MB-339

Utility modules:
Combined Arms, NS 430 GPS
WinterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #19
QuiGon
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 13,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterH View Post
I wonder where did AI came from too. As far as I know, it doesn't really tie-in to any existing or upcoming theater or Razbam module.
It would tie in very well to Heatblur's projects (F-14, Forrestal, A-6) as well as to M3's F-8 Crusader.
__________________
Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #20
Silver_Dragon
DCS Ground Crew
 
Silver_Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santus View Post
I have no clue why Silver Dragon listed it as an AI aircraft.

Both Prowler and Zeus have stated that it is their wish to bring the A7 to DCS as a flyable module and that what pushed it back in line is the absence of an air to ground radar by ED.

Yes it is long down the line, but they seem determined.
I put them as AI, meanwhile RAZBAM not confirm "active" module working, not only a 3D model as actually has show.
Remember them:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260540
__________________
More news to the front
Wishlist: ED / 3rd Party Campaings
My Rig: Intel I-5 750 2.67Ghz / Packard Bell FMP55 / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / GTX-1080 8 GB RAM / HD 1Tb/2Tb / Warthog / 2 MDF / TFPR

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.