Spitfire VS Axis

McPetterson

but from where you took this 306 read my post again even p-51 cant reach 306 MPH at 20500ft at 67/3000 rpm so you expect that spit should be faster then p-51 ?? which is complet BS becouse p-51 was much faster then MKIX

we should compare ground speed or TAS becouse IAS is dependent on calibation i dont know how ED modeled this thing. do we see CAS or IAS on those gages

so its 242 kts ias after conversion 278.5 mph or 448 km/h bf-109 did 485-490kph IAS its about 40kph slower thn bf109 by doing 306 mph IAS in DCS spit would be the fastes Warbird in game. So chart which you took this data apply not to DCS spitfire version

Spitfire in il2 fly a little faster but its difrent spit version

FROM HERE And your Right the P-51 Should be faster so Should the SPIT MK IX. Yes it should also be an E version with 50cal and K14 gunsight. All of these things would have made for an interesting matchup SINCE NOTHING IN THIS WWII is Historical except the 109k4 and FW 190 D. Sad thing is this reminds me of the battles get Il2 1946 and yet the battles on there were Awesome. Also, I would not mind an Early spit Vs E4 or MKV with a G2. and f series over the desert map that we have.

TABLE I

All-out level speeds

Corrected to 7000 lb. = 95% T.O. Wt.

Radiator flaps in minimum drag position

CLICK THE LINK: http://www.spitfireperformance.com/ma648.html

21000 +18.0 TAS 411 IAS 306 -5.75 -7.5 +1 FS Gear

Edited by king1hw

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After few month from my first post on this thread, I'm still flying the Spit in multiplayer and I have to say that's it's still unbalanced , and unhistorical compare of axis plane. I spend 80% of my flight time chasing/running behind germans plane, as soon as they see you they runaway from you to their airfields. There is no fun and you have litteraly no chances (even if you are playing with you squadrons)!

If I refer from books from WW2 R.A.F pilots, that's not how it was. So please do something about it, upgrade the MK IX or introduce the XIV. but please take a consideration that's there is absolutely no fun while playing this spit unfortunately ... that's a shame for such a good plane.

Edited by McPetterson

spitfire was about 40mph slower then p-51. we cant expect that mkIX will be faster then K-4

MK XIV was faster becouse new engine with more than 2000hp end i would love to see MK XIV in dcs some day

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

All-out level speeds

Corrected to 7000 lb. = 95% T.O. Wt.

Radiator flaps in minimum drag position

CLICK THE LINK: http://www.spitfireperformance.com/ma648.html

21000 +18.0 TAS 411 IAS 306 -5.75 -7.5 +1 FS Gear

Once agian this is date from difrent spit this one uses single injection pump our version uses carburettor and difrent ram intake design so first find proper tests charts for DCS spit

you took speeds from wrong line those speeds are take after slealing ram box in spit. in regular spitfire you will expec lower speeds.

version of spit which we have is what is written in dcs spit manual not immagine in your head.

In this tes it clearly written " These results compare favorably with those of other Spitfire LF Mk. IX aircraft, which fact is attributed cheifly to the higher full throttle height obtained with the S.U. pump."

I tested spit mkIXe in il2 too it made very similar top speed as in DCS so i hardly belive that 2 game developers did mistake here

why we got the slowest version of spit i dont know

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I can well understand McPetterson's anguish over the Spit IXc's lack of ability against the Axis variants in the sim. Shame that VEAO had to do like Ilya Schevchenko and walk away as they were working on a Spit Mk XIV and this would have provided a nice comparison to the two different Spit variants.

The Spit we do have is what was called the Spit Mk IXB when it first came out in the summer of 1942 and it sure helped No 64 Sqn combat the scourge of the Fw 190. With the Merlin 66 our Spit variant matured. I love flying it, only in VR now, and for me it's the finest rendition of any Spit in any sim.

DCS have made good on their promise and will continue to do so in regards to the WWII project that they took over from the disgraced Luthier. Well done to them and a big thank you. In time the Allies will get better aircraft to match the uber machines that the Axis can field. Something to look forward to but in the meantime, let's enjoy the flying.

Edited by Euan Emblin

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

Once again this is the date from different spit this one uses single injection pump our version uses carburetor and different ram intake design so first find proper tests charts for DCS spit

you took speeds from the wrong line those speeds are taken after sealing ram box in spit. in the regular spitfire, you will expect lower speeds.

a version of spit which we have is what is written in DCS spit manual not imagine in your head.

In this test, it clearly is written " These results compare favorably with those of other Spitfire LF Mk. IX aircraft, which fact is attributed chiefly to the higher full throttle height obtained with the S.U. pump."

I tested spit mkIXe in il2 too it made very similar top speed as in DCS so I hardly believe that 2 game developers did a mistake here

why we got the slowest version of spit I don't know.

Graphee that is all I was asking and could they make an adjustment is all I was asking. Anyway still gonna fly her and try to win the day but again I know I am outclassed and that is ok.

I used to fly just the 2 axis fighters. Now I spend some time with the 2 allied fighters, and I find them so much easier to handle. And I find them more capable too. I fly against AI only and from my personal experience the Spit is the most capable among the 4.

Here is my personal ranking from open "honest" dogfighting below 3000 m altitude:

1. flying the Spitfire MkIX

I can easily defeat the FW-190 and I can defeat the Bf-109 without much trouble. I can also defeat both the P-51 and the Mig-21bis without stress.

2. flying P-51D

I can easily defeat the FW-190, but find it hard to survive against the Bf-109. And I have no chance against the Spit (it kills me) or the Mig-21 (it outruns me).

3. flying the Bf-109

I defeat Spit, P-51 and Mig-21bis regularly, although the P-51 is sometimes difficult because of its crazy climbing capability.

4. flying the FW-190

I defeat the P-51 most of the time. But no chance against the Spit or the Bf-109. And fighting the Mig-21bis is almost hopeless.

In terms of handling, both allied fighters are extremely easy to land and handle very nicely in the air, except the P-51 goes quite easily into a spin if you turn a bit too hard.

Both the FW-190 and the P-51 struggle in a turning fight and tend to surprise you if you turn hard. The Spit and Bf-109 are much less prone to stall and handle well in extreme situations.

In conclusion, I do not find that the allied fighters are at a handicap compared with the axis fighters. Of course, that's fighting against AI using labels. Person vs Person in MP might be different. I don't use MP much because I cannot spot bandits.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

In conclusion, I do not find that the allied fighters are at a handicap compared with the axis fighters. Of course, that's fighting against AI using labels. Person vs Person in MP might be different. I don't use MP much because I cannot spot bandits.

This thread deals with person vs person, of course Vs AI it's really easy. But as you mentionned vs real person it's totally different.

• 2 months later...

the Spitfire is a beast in MP in its current state, you just can't run from or chase an axis aircraft. Which makes flying the Spit pretty unique. She climbs like a rocket, turns on a dime without loosing pretty much any speed, has brutal guns and overheating got patched so no problem here eather.

What remains is you never decide when the fight starts and ends, still to low topspeed. Good luck flying deep into enemy territory, they will boom on and your turn rate won't bring you home. You just keep sitting arround in hostile airspace... with labels on everybody will jump on you.

Axis aircraft still have all the choices. When to fight and when to retreat and go home. It is the most important advantage in my eyes. Airspeed matters!

Replacing the D9 with the A8 will help.

My personal solution on my own server was to remove the availability of MW50, not sure who else does this.

Even after that, the axis aircraft are faster, just not quite so ridiculously faster.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Replacing the D9 with the A8 will help.

My personal solution on my own server was to remove the availability of MW50, not sure who else does this.

Even after that, the axis aircraft are faster, just not quite so ridiculously faster.

i think it is better to swap k-4 for a-8

D-9 is older plane than k-4 i think

i think it is better to swap k-4 for a-8

D-9 is older plane than k-4 i think

The D9 is roughly a year older than the K4, however, MW50 was a available for neither until nearly mid-44, ie significantly later than either the Spit or Mustang that we have. Hence I consider removing availability of MW50 to be fully appropriate.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

The D9 is roughly a year older than the K4, however, MW50 was a available for neither until nearly mid-44, ie significantly later than either the Spit or Mustang that we have. Hence I consider removing availability of MW50 to be fully appropriate.

year older its lot of time for 6 year war

The D9 is roughly a year older than the K4

Both reached frontline units around the same time, September-October 44.

MW was not standard for Dora until 1945.

K-4 was with MW from start.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Thanks for correcting, even more reason for me to restrict MW50 on my server.

The D-9 and K-4 both entered production in August 1944. The K-4 delivery began in mid October and most sources agree that the D-9 deliveries began at the end of September or beginning of October so it was two weeks older. Either way, neither aircraft saw action over our Normandy map.

The Fw-190A-8 entered production in February 1944 and deliveries began in spring with most sources in agreement that units in France were converting from the Bf-109G or from earlier Fw-190A variants by D-Day. At some point in production, C3 injection was introduced, I can not find a definitive answer. I should mention that most early sources state that the A-8 entered production with a MW50 tank and system installed, however more recent investigation presented on these forums elsewhere seems compelling about the C3 injection vs MW50.

Edited by 71st_AH Rob

i dont use mw50 in D anyway random engine seizing

but when you take mw50 from k-4 it become pain becouse mw50 injection is integrated in ot thorttle so without mw50 you have to watch all the time to not go too far with it

and its pain then

The spi 9 is a great aircraft, and definitely holds its own vs the 109k4 and 190 D9. Too many people have no idea how to fly it and burn all thier energy immediatly in a fight by turning to hard. I think part of the problem is the silly concept of some planes being boom & zoom energy fighter and some being turn and burners. Its wrong and misleading. All fighters are energy fighters and the spit 9 is one of the best!

The spi 9 is a great aircraft, and definitely holds its own vs the 109k4 and 190 D9. Too many people have no idea how to fly it and burn all thier energy immediatly in a fight by turning to hard. I think part of the problem is the silly concept of some planes being boom & zoom energy fighter and some being turn and burners. Its wrong and misleading. All fighters are energy fighters and the spit 9 is one of the best!

Not really, maybe you don't understand the context these terms are being used. Some planes accelerates better than others, for example, or turn better than others or retain energy better etc. The bottom line is, when you compare them and try to apply a strategy against the enemy you should know beforehand what kind of strategy to implement and when. In a K-4 I can go with 'turn and burn' against P51 and be safe or I can boom and zoom it and still be safe. Against the Spit, well, it's a different story, boom and zoom all the way, but that means you should be very good with the deflection shooting.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

but when you take mw50 from k-4 it become pain becouse mw50 injection is integrated in ot thorttle so without mw50 you have to watch all the time to not go too far with it

and its pain then

So, as you do in real life :huh: . Instruments are there to be watched.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

So, as you do in real life :huh: . Instruments are there to be watched.

S!

yes but irl if mw50 system was removed or tank was empty mechanics would block throttle to not enter mw50 boost switch point becouse not only mw50 is going on/of in that position but higher boost limit is set by this and higher rpm where running at this settings will damage engine veryquickly.

simple stop gate on thottle should be instaled