Stable or Open Beta? Which one is the way to go?

TheCabal

Hey there guys.... :helpsmilie:

searched a bit and I couldn't find anything... :book: which one is the way to go?

- How about multiplayer? Are the important servers running all on open beta?

- Can I join stable release servers with open beta?

- Since everything is "in development" & a bit buggy... is open beta the way to go?

- Do you mostly get exited with the open beta or stable release?

- Do my Mods get all messed up when changing to open beta?

Got a room only for one DCS on my SSD. So, which one is right?

Greetings,

Cabal

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

Open beta without a doubt.

- it’s where all the servers are

- can’t join open beta servers with stable build

- gets updates far quicker

- is where all the cool new toys get added sooner

- yes your mods if they work on stable should work on the open beta..

Ultimately the stable branch is really a delayed open beta. It has all the issues that dcs has but gets updates far less frequently. Yes there may be fewer bugs but the ones that are introduced won’t get fixed anywhere near as soon as the open beta.

If you want updates ASAP and want to run MP, use the Open Beta.

I fly in SP and prefer having a consistent environment so I spend most of my time on Stable, but I have both installed.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Hello,

I am on stable only. I play both SP and MP.

But for MP, I play only with few friends who also have the stable.

Stable has update less frequently. Often, when the update of the Stable release arrives many bugs have been corrected. But if it still some, you will need to wait longer, time to get the next Stable release.

Belly

Bf 109 K-4 / Fw 190 A-8 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P51-D / Normandy 1944 map + ww2 assets pack

I prefer stable. I don't do MP, and I have such a backlog of equipment to master that it doesn't make much difference if I get a feature now, or if I have to wait for it a few weeks. I really prefer to get fewer, yet much more substantial updates with everything working as it should. There's also the minor annoyance that whenever dcs updates, I have to find and delete the lifebar files for the uh-1, so fewer updates means I have to do that less often

That being said, sometimes- particularly when you're waiting for an EA aircraft- it seems the updates take quite awhile. Took awhile for the f-16 to come to stable, and no clue when the JF-17 will. If no stable update now, then have to wait till after OB gets 2.5.6 , and then some.

Edited by ngreenaway
Fixed typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I have heard someone mention elsewhere that they found the players on stable multiplayer stable to but fewer, yet friendlier than those on OB MP, and while I can see things being a bit more cutthroat there , I can't verify myself cuz I don't do MP, but I suppose in a very broad, general sense it could make sense, I can picture distinct personality types gravitating to one or the other...but this is just the secondhand recollection of someone else's subjective experience. Take it with a large grain of NaCl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Open beta without a doubt.

- it’s where all the servers are

- can’t join open beta servers with stable build

- gets updates far quicker

- is where all the cool new toys get added sooner

- yes your mods if they work on stable should work on the open beta..

Ultimately the stable branch is really a delayed open beta. It has all the issues that dcs has but gets updates far less frequently. Yes there may be fewer bugs but the ones that are introduced won’t get fixed anywhere near as soon as the open beta.

Small correction: You sometimes can join OB servers with the Stable and vice versa. That is usally the case when the Stable gets updated and then has the same version as the OB... untill the OB gets updated again and the Stable falls behind once again. The current version for both branches can be seen here: https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Apart from that this list is pretty spot on. Just one addition for TheCabal: If you play the OB you can't complain about issues that much as you can when playing the Stable, as issues are expected in a beta build. You can report those issues though, so they can get fixed ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hey there guys.... :helpsmilie:

searched a bit and I couldn't find anything... :book: which one is the way to go?

- How about multiplayer? Are the important servers running all on open beta?

- Can I join stable release servers with open beta?

- Since everything is "in development" & a bit buggy... is open beta the way to go?

- Do you mostly get exited with the open beta or stable release?

- Do my Mods get all messed up when changing to open beta?

Got a room only for one DCS on my SSD. So, which one is right?

Greetings,

Cabal

They're both the same thing. Open Beta is just a newer version. So, Open Beta is what everyone uses.

"Stable" is just a stale version of Open Beta :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

IMO the question is not what you prefer, but what you are willing to do. If you choose the open beta, you should be aware that you accept the fact of beeing a paying beta tester, instead of a targeted customer in the first place. This means you should be willing to report bugs and provide trackfiles if needed to help developing the game and speed up the release of patches to the stable version. So if you´re willing to do so and/or prefer MP, go for open beta. If not and you just want to fly and enjoy the sim, you should go for stable.

• Like 1

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Does anyone know if 2.6 will be released to Open Beta first? If I uninstall Stable and then install Open Beta, that will use up one of my activations and one of my deactivations, right? Is there anything I should be aware of before uninstalling Stable and installing Open Beta? Thanks!

Does anyone know if 2.6 will be released to Open Beta first? If I uninstall Stable and then install Open Beta, that will use up one of my activations and one of my deactivations, right? Is there anything I should be aware of before uninstalling Stable and installing Open Beta? Thanks!

You do not need to uninstall anything!

It is very easy to change versions with the same installation. Use the Update tool!

New versions always come first to the OB. That's the purpose of a beta, isn't it?

As randomTOTEN already said: You don't have to uninstall anything. You can either install the OB in parallel to the Stable or upgrade your Stable to the OB by using the DCS updater. I described the various options here:

There are multiple ways to get the Open Beta:

• You can remove your normal DCS installation, download the Open Beta from the Website and install it instead.
  • You can download the Open Beta from the website and install it in addition to your normal DCS installation, so you will have both.
  • You can convert your normal DCS installation to become the Open Beta by opening the Windows CMD, navigating to ...\DCS World\bin and typing the following command: DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta. More info on how to do that can be found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

New versions always come first to the OB. That's the purpose of a beta, isn't it?

As randomTOTEN already said: You don't have to uninstall anything. You can either install the OB in parallel to the Stable or upgrade your Stable to the OB by using the DCS updater. I described the various options here:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I've run into problems using the script as described in this thread.