DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

They have posted some pics.

Supposedly some sort of AI multicrew based on news years ago, presumably human multicrew.

Release date, no one has a clue, I'd say late this year or early next if anything based on lack of news.

I'd guess the KA50 upgrade will come first.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'll take the ka 50 upgrade first that's fine. I just got it so it's still shiny new to me lol. But flying the ka 50 makes me constantly want an apache which isn't going to happen this century... so I look forward to the hind instead.

It's just weird to me to give news that the hind is coming but then there's zero details on it. But I've only been around since last year. Maybe that's the norm?

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

If you want the discussion on the Hind module go to this page :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193715

Regarding the last news on the Hind module...we have to wait, wait and wait.

3 to 5 screenshots during the last 3-4 years.

The module is announced for 2020 but when we look on the progress of other modules, like the P-47 and the mosquito, another delay is possible...

A lot of people are quiet disappointed by the non-communication of ED linked to this module.

Currently, none screenshots on the new exterior model.

No movies either, just a few screenshots of the cockpit --> Check the Newsletter and you will have ALL the information regarding the Hind module.

Edited by Razorback

I'll take the ka 50 upgrade first that's fine. I just got it so it's still shiny new to me lol. But flying the ka 50 makes me constantly want an apache which isn't going to happen this century... so I look forward to the hind instead.

It's just weird to me to give news that the hind is coming but then there's zero details on it. But I've only been around since last year. Maybe that's the norm?

It depends. ED tends to not over hype stuff like some 3rd party devs. We know its coming is all, its in the news letters, so its "confirmed". More news will come as it gets closer. Then one day it will get a forum section, at which point its a few months out. Kinda like the whole way the super-carrier went, tease and tease, and tease some more, then one day, boom its coming Q1.

Given how little teasing there has been I'd guess its a good ways out still.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If there's no news, means it's just either going on with no specialties, or it's not close to release, not much to fiddle about.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Have News, the last was on 2020 newsletter

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4153327&postcount=231

DCS: Mi-24P HIND

The Mi-24P has been in development for the past year, and it is on track to be released in 2020. The HIND will be the next helicopter for DCS World and will include cooperative multiplayer, next-generation graphics for the external model and cockpit, and a wide range of mission types from anti-armor attack to troop transport.

The Mi-24P will be an outstanding partner to the Mi-8MVT2!

Hind_01.png

"next helicopter for DCS World" implies it's more ready than the Kiowa, which we've seen flying around... I'm not sure I believe that statement 100% :p I mean, I'd love it if it was 100% true...

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

OOhH!!! Textures in the cockpit!!

Looking forward to the Hind and Kiowa!!

Does this version of Hind Mi-24 have guided ATGM's ? I ask because if I understand the wiki page, this version might be using the 9K114 Shturm (AT-6 spiral) guided ATGM... does that sound right? Any idea how many it would carry?

Most/all Hinds could carry primitive atgms. You often see them mountes in pairs on the outboard pylons. I don't know if the inner pylons can carry them, if so, you'd have up to 8. Hinds aren't well designed for that task, though, and neither are the missiles they carry. That's why you typically see rocket pods and bombs instead. You don't need a pgm to kill a tank.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Does this version of Hind Mi-24 have guided ATGM's ? I ask because if I understand the wiki page, this version might be using the 9K114 Shturm (AT-6 spiral) guided ATGM... does that sound right? Any idea how many it would carry?

I would think four or eight, they go on the tips or the outboard stations(?) - it's not reaaaaaly it's job, which is why the Havoc exists. We're getting a P model, which is one of the later versions. I'm curious if you can use older pods with it, ie everything you can throw on a Mi-8 like the MG pods.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Shturms, especially thinking of 80s/90s, aren't all that primitive though. They are supersonic, have a decent range, and decent warheads. Earlier Mi-24 variants up to and including Mi-24D did indeed used primitive MCLOS missiles, but that's not Mi-24P has.

They would very much be their primary armament against higher threat targets/armor, as far as I know that was stated as such in tactical manuals/documents from period too. It is true that Mi-24 is more of "rush in high speed and send a big salvo of rocket/gunfire" kind of helicopter than a "hover just above that ridge and snipe things with guided missiles" kind, but, I still think that is usually kind of overstated.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

The Mi-24 was indeed designed to carry ATGM's

It was a requirement from the Defence Minister himself.

The early versions had to use the much less effective MCLOS Falanga missile, because huge delays with the development of the 9K114 Shturm missile, and it's guidance system.

The helicopter might be very good at lobbing huge amounts of rockets, indeed - but to say it wasnt designed for ATGM tankbusting is wrong. It was. And it did and still does a good job at it.

Edit: Wikipedia says the later models (including Mi-24P) can carry ATGM's in pairs on outer and wingitip pylons, suggesting the total amount it can carry is 8.

This however is Wikipedia, and I have found no photos supporting this.

Edit 2: enemyforces says the same. Also Found theese

shturm.jpg

_00012.jpg

Edited by Grodlund

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Is there been any discussions about how is the guidance system being implemented? As it is a submarine scope that is turned upside down, where the captain would stick to his eye to the "peep-hole". Now the WSO has new sight

It is very unorthodox compared to anything else in DCS, closest being the Viggen's Collimator sigth, and that is huge (and collimator) compared what the Mi-24 WSO is required to do.

So how it will be used in VR? As the real sight has forehead support so it is easy to hold head on the sight and then operate it.

How it will be for a 2D users? As it is one eye only, so are the people going to see 1/3 of their screens as through the scope, and rest as monocular?

For non-TrackIR users there defineatly needs to be the default viewpoints stored for it. But I am more concerned about the VR user usability.

Is this a new system that requires a VR simpit users to build a additional head rests to side of their table/chair where to stick their heads? :D (yeah, that would be cool!)

If some doesn't get it, the ARMA II has nice demo about how the thing looks/operates at simple level for the scope.

PWKadS01204

Edit: I can think off some kind "magnet" to snap head to position at proper range when it is moved there. And then use a other controller to move sight around? As it can't be just free motion sight for VR user as so small objective to look through means you would be unfit to target easily with slight head movements at so odd side angle.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

This scene in the trailer really hyped me up! :D

The blur of tail rotor looks a bit weird, though. It should have more of a circular blur. But its still WIP, I guess.

Really? all it did was make me more depressed. over 140 seconds of trailer fotage, and all the Mi-24P got was just less then a second of a backlit shot with tons of sun glare, and hiding as much detail as possible while the Ka-50 P-47, Mosquito, and Ju-88 get tons of on screen time. It's been 9 months since the cockpit pics from back in May. I don't want the Mi-24 to be the released in the last part of 2020, we've been waiting 2 years, give us something substantial.

Mi-24p in full view for 0.08 seconds in the "DCS World 2020 and beyond" video

Yes indeed, and I have to just add...just 0.08 seconds compared to other ongoing projects seen a lot of times in the video...like the P-47, the mosquito and the Ju-88...

My conclusion : Feb 20 and still nothing to show on the Mi-24 ! :cry:

Edited by Razorback