Flyable civilian aircraft like Cessna 172

remi

I would love to have civilian aircraft for learning how to fly.

Cessna 172

Cirrus SR22

Piper Comanche

Etc

I feel like the X-Plane simulation is very lacking for flight models, and DCS would be a much better platform to work with.

However, ATC interaction would still be very limited...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I realize that there are training prop planes and training jet planes and an aerobatic plane, but I'd love a truly civilian aircraft like the 172 at the very least.

Also, when DCS truly goes "world" with rendering between high resolution conflict areas (like Utah, California, Arizona, etc), having civilian aircraft would be a lot of fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And how does one do "Combat" in a Cessna? Dropping molotov cocktail?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134677&page=8;)

:)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

If someone first makes a civil plane to DCS, it will only wipe the route for the next producers. You can only imagine cessna 172, an-26, or c-130 in DCS quality, although the last two are not entirely civil. I simply say Yes :)

:pilotfly:

I'm not sure if GA aircraft fit well, but I fly DCS as a flight sim and combat isn't always the primary task i.e. CSAR, logistics, etc. and there's room for all types of player.

I'd welcome a Cessna O-1 Bird Dog, O-2 Skymaster, etc. which add military themed GA to DCS and look forward to Razbam's OV-10 Bronco (if done well).

With regards to the OP's Cessna 172, I suppose it might act as a 'hare' to be hunted by C-101CC, etc. in COIN ops. but TBH, that's a role filled by Huey, Mi-8, Yak-52, etc. or AI already.

Comments

IMHO an eventually successful DCS GA module will come down to :

• Flight model i.e. positive feedback from RL pilots, able to do side by side comparison videos and/or explain RL procedures and techniques for the type.

• Gameplay i.e. the dev's need to make a interesting campaign and/or missions to demo their GA module (like BST did for the Huey) and show it's a worthwhile addition to DCS.

For example, I don't think anyone would argue that there's a place for the Huey in DCS today but prior to it's release many questioned what a 'transport' helicopter would do i.e. vs FC3, A-10C, Ka-50, etc.

A successful GA module might bring a similar "paradigm shift" but it's yet to happen, so we are reliant on 'hand-me downs' like the Yak-52, where the bulk of the work/research is indirectly paid for by a third party contract.

I would love to have civilian aircraft for learning how to fly.

IMHO, if you ever get your wish, it'll be via similar work contracted by a third party, rather than 'market' demand (or lack of).

Edited by Ramsay
Add line from op's 1st post

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I would welcome them, as well as my A-10C and it's somewhat workable AA capability. This would indeed be a new "Fun and Engaging" scenario. :music_whistling:

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Why play so many Pilots Combat Simulation ?

Becouse Zivilian Flights are boring.

You have no Weapons, no Tactics, no A/A refueling and other thinks wich need in military flights and it calls Digital Combat Simulation, Christan Eagle, i dont know what they do here.Great Plane sure but i dont need it

Edited by Ghostraider

X-Plane has excellent flight modelling and GA is its specialty. AirFoilLabs have the best complete package C172 product available and SimCoders offer an equally indepth product for the default C172.

Given that DCS is a combat sim it sticks to military trainers of which there are a limited few already but it would be nice to see an SF260 or DA20 in DCS which oddly enough are available in X-Plane.

The SF260 in X-Plane is amazing btw and would be so wonderful to see in DCS.

... Zivilian Flights are boring.

You have no Weapons, no Tactics, no A/A refueling and other thinks wich need in military flights and it calls Digital Combat Simulation, Christan Eagle, i dont know what they do here.

Always, on this kind of thread, I’m appalled at the lack of tolerance from some members of the Community .. I find such attitude very rude, as having a civilian Cessna on DCS doesnt affect them in the least ... dont like that type of plane, just dont purchase it ... but dont try to ban them just because you only fly to fight .. there are plenty of us who enjoy flying in itself, with no need to do harm.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Just call it a T-41 and it's all good....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

But...why?

We have small maps and fairly rough looking buildings and terrain. Why not use something like FSX or Xplane 11 with some texture mods and get the whole world at your fingertips? As a pilot and flight simmer, I would find flying these same few maps as a civlian aircraft very very very repetitive very quick because of how few airfields and locations there are, of the lack of ATC or any real flight planning or what not. It just feels like adding a civilian aircraft in itself would be very shallow and not do much justice as most of the other flight realism for civilian pilot systems is just not there.

But...why?

We have small maps and fairly rough looking buildings and terrain. Why not use something like FSX or Xplane 11 with some texture mods and get the whole world at your fingertips? As a pilot and flight simmer, I would find flying these same few maps as a civlian aircraft very very very repetitive very quick because of how few airfields and locations there are, of the lack of ATC or any real flight planning or what not. It just feels like adding a civilian aircraft in itself would be very shallow and not do much justice as most of the other flight realism for civilian pilot systems is just not there.

Good points all !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

But...why?

In the future, DCS: World will literally include the entire world, mapped out to a certain level of detail.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 for the Cessna T-41 Mescalero. It's all good if it has USAF insignia on the side.

I'm not sure I understand the rationale of no civilian aircraft in DCS. Having to deconflict airspace for combat scenarios is very realistic. It's not like all civilian traffic around the world just stops every time there is a dogfight or bombs get dropped. And what about intercepting airliners that have drifted off course :(.

But seriously folks, just about every western fighter pilot started their training and got their fundamentals down in a Cessna or something similar. When you get a PPL IRL in the states you just fly between local airports. Now I don't think we need ORBX making Heathrow airport and full fidelity 747's but an Airfoil Labs Cessna? Why not?

Think of all the data and time on the forum we would save without people coming on asking questions after trying to fly an F-14 without knowing what the ball thingy in the middle of the dashboard is. :music_whistling:

Edit: And and ASK-21 too. It says in the documentation for the YAK that you can use it as a towplane.

Edited by Sn8ke_iis

But...why?

Because, unlike Xplane, etc, someone can actually mod in a Maverick or a pair of 250lbers to the aircraft and you can blow stuff up!! :)

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

X-Plane has excellent flight modelling and GA is its specialty. AirFoilLabs have the best complete package C172 product available and SimCoders offer an equally indepth product for the default C172.

This.

GA aircraft are already done very well in other sims where the focus is on civil aviation. I doubt whether 3rd parties like SimCoders etc would sell enough product on DCSW to make it worthwhile.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

to make it worthwhile.

Should they be prohibited from trying? Or would the decision be theirs? And how have the civvie craft already in DCS, such as the Eagle and the Yak, done?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

In the future, DCS: World will literally include the entire world, mapped out to a certain level of detail.

An what brings you to this assumption? I think Wags stated clearly that in the forseeable future we won't see anything like this due to the detail level and memory consumption of DCS Maps.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With xplane getting native VR support I decided to give her a try again. And it just doesn't hold a candle to DCS... Yes the world is bigger but that's it. I'd be happy to see some GA in DCS. We already have a smidge of it. In my okpinion the d C!!!!!! s people need to chill out. They're so worried about resources being drawn away from their pet project they want to see done when it could dramaticly increase the total amount of resources available to DCS. I want to see it remain primarily a combat game too, but a Cessna 172 with a damage model would be cool.

Maybe a Cessna 337 that could double as an O-2 would be easier to accept by the combat crowd?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB