Sudden lighting changes

derodo

Hi,

From time to time (a few times in every sortie), there are some kind of "sudden ligthing changes" that completely change the tone of the image. It's subtle, and sometimes I just disregard it as if it was just my imagination, but on the F18 the effect can be seen quite easily on the HUD edges.

I'm attaching two screenshots to showcase the two "lighting" states; they are taken with the aircraft in a different position/orientation, but the difference in the HUD edges/borders is not just because of the different lighting at each moment; the change happens suddenly, even when parked at the carrier (I just wasn't able to capture that exact moment).

Can't be more precise than that, sorry. It simply happens from time to time. I might be parked or flying straight, and the HUD edges suddenly change from dark to almost 100% transparent.

Anyone noticed that? Might not be a lighting issue, but can't find a better way for explaining it...

EDIT: just came across this other post https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=219012 could that be it? It makes sense...

hud_border.thumb.png.c8a2b9e0ec7341951d150fd0e00527b3.png

hud_noborder.thumb.png.aba40c542bbce7ad80ec6155d09b99b4.png

Edited by derodo

I don't know if it's the same as you're experiencing, as I can't tell from the pictures, but I've also noticed some "popping" with the lighting effects.

Sitting on the ramp, or on a carrier, the interior looks a bit "overcast" with no real shadows or highlights, then after some head movement or zooming in/out, the lights and shadows will suddenly appear. I've had this happen most often with the Hornet and Harrier--don't recall ever seeing it in other modules.