VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

UIV

The VKB Modern Combat Grip (MCG) has taken off!

“It is not easy to produce a good grip!”

The VKB 'Modern Combat Grip' turned out rich in functionality, reliable, ergonomical, and ended up remarkably well made. As a much welcomed side effect of the laconicity and elegance of our engineering solutions, came a sleek and streamlined low-waste technology that - in turn - resulted in affordable pricing.

You might find it interesting to learn that it took us less time, and cost us less effort and strain to design and develop the Gladiator as a full scale joystick - than making the MCG grip alone.

It was a tiring time, and it was a difficult project. However, the MCG is here now, and we see that this is good.

We thank all of you, our customers and dealers, forum readers and content contributors; without you, we would have never grown to this level. Without your feedback, we would have wasted a lot more time in the search of the direction in which to develop. And, we thank our patient family members, too.

MCG PRO (w/ English labels):

Bs9YzGN.jpg

MCG (w/ Russian labels):

jfhVgtO.jpg

What are good grips made of?

A proper grip should feel in the pilot's hand as a monolith regardless its age and time in use.

• We made 12 – TWELVE – molds in order to offer you our trademark solid “VKB feel” and achieve the unparalleled sense of quality.

• The outer parts of the grip shell, as well as the buttons, had to be made from industrial grade ABS plastic.

• The internal parts are made of nylon.

• The MCG's triggers are uncompromisingly made from metal, like they should be.

• Electronics are also designed and manufactured to the highest standards.

A few Highlights:

• Tactile switches with extended lifetime are made by OMRON and bought directly from the original brand owner.

• Miniature hats (metal mechanism) are ALPS (MCG PRO version only).

• Contactless microsticks are also made by ALPS (the same model you would find in the SONY PlayStation controllers).

• The foldable trigger does not push the button directly; instead it utilizes a cam to make sure that no matter how hard you squeeze it, the button will only receive as much pressure as needed to click. The button itself, by the way, is an OMRON with a 10-million-clicks life expectancy.

• The MCG PRO version is equipped with a contactless magnetic (MaRS) sensor that allows to you program the buttons to work differently, depending on the position of the trigger:

– By default, the sensor reacts to flipping the trigger 'up' into the weapons SAFE position - you can assign any function you like to this within your favorite sim.

– In addition, you can program (via VKBdevCfg software) the trigger to utilize the ARMED position for an action, when flipping the trigger into the 'combat' (middle) position (while not squeezing it).

– And, of course, the trigger's FIRE mode (i.e., when squeezing the trigger) will trigger a button action.

∗ (the mechanical button clicks first, so in FIRE mode, the trigger acts in two-step mode: first, you open fire by triggering the mechanical button, and by further depressing the trigger you activate virtual FIRE).

• The brake lever (metal) also works with a contactless MaRS sensor analog axis.

• The AP DISENGAGE (ГАШЕТКА СУ) represents a two-stage trigger with extremely well-articulated set buttons, providing clear tactile feedback throughout both stages.

Internals:

WwobALc.jpg

Custom options:

As everything bearing the VKBsim logo, our Modern Combat Grip is modular in design. Choosing different modules, you can determine which functions you will have access to.

• For example you can replace the default '4-way+push' RESET (СБРОС ЗАДАЧИ) hat on the MCG PRO with a 'single push' button (optional, available from March 2018).

• On the MCG Pro, you can replace the colored hats and buttons with solid black ones (parts included).

• The VKBsim Twist Adapter (patent pending) is made as a standalone module; it is already being manufactured and is expected to enter the market after the Chinese New Year.

– All MCG grips are being made twist-ready; installing the twist adapter is easy and can be done in no time.

Come March 2018 we're hoping to start producing adapters that would make MCG TM Warthog compatible.

MCG electronics

Electronic components within the MCG deserve a separate mention:

• Its brain is based on a high-performing 32-bit ARM microcontroller.

– It processes data from the buttons, axes, and hats, and passes it over a 3-wire interface to the BlackBox main controller.

– A huge number of buttons and axes (24 and 7, respectively) are placed inside the grip and are interconnected with only 7 neatly traced cables.

– This does not only allow for safe and easy module replacement by the user, but it also makes everything more reliable.

Getting your MCG ready for action

Before taking off, you need to carry out a few procedures. But wait. Do not hurry. You haven't read the manual yet. Take it seriously. Done? OK, let's warm up before taxiing. Here is what you will have to do:

1. Adjust the palm rest using the supplied hex tool.

(a) there are 4 positions; find the one that's most comfortable to you.

2. IMPORTANT! You MUST first calibrate the device using either WIZZO_GF or VKBdevCfg.

(a) WIZZO is available here: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/wizzo_gf_0_98.zip

(b) VKBdevCfg is available here: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/VKBDevCfg-C_v0_83_8_5.zip

Calibrating procedure.

Using WIZZO:

1. Start WIZZO.

2. Flip the trigger 'up' (SAFE).

3. Return the trigger in the 'middle' position (ARMED); the contactless sensor will activate ARMED button.

4. Within WIZZO, click START. The SYS LED on the BlackBox will start blinking.

5. Fully squeeze the BRAKE (АВТ СТАРТ ТОРМОЗ) lever and release it.

6. Fully squeeze the foldable trigger. Let go to return it to middle position; then flip it 'up'.

7. Move the GATE CONT (УПРАВ СТРОБ) hat within its entire range (left/right/up/down).

8. Move the MASTER MODE (РЕЖИМ КБО) hat within its entire range (left/right/up/down).

9. Move the grip within its entire range in both pitch and roll (left/right/up/down).

(a) If T-Rudder pedals are connected, fully depress and release first the left pedal (important!), then the right one.

10. Press STOP. The SYS LED will stop blinking. The device will reboot. WIZZO will automatically shut down.

Using VKBDevcfg-C:

1. Start VKBDevcfg-C.

2. Click on the name of the joystick (top left window).

3. Flip the trigger 'up' (SAFE).

4. Return the trigger in the 'middle' position (ARMED); the contactless sensor will activate ARMED button.

5. Within VKBdevCfg, open Tools tab. Press Start Calibr. The SYS LED on the BlackBox will start blinking.

6. Fully squeeze the BRAKE (АВТ СТАРТ ТОРМОЗ) lever and release it.

7. Fully squeeze the foldable trigger. Let go to return it to middle position; then flip it 'up'.

8. Move the GATE CONT (УПРАВ СТРОБ) hat within its entire range (left/right/up/down).

9. Move the MASTER MODE (РЕЖИМ КБО) hat within its entire range (left/right/up/down).

10. Move the grip within its entire range in both pitch and roll (left/right/up/down).

(a) If T-Rudder pedals are connected, fully depress and release first the left pedal (important!), then the right one.

11. Press End Calibr. The SYS LED will stop blinking. The device will reboot.

Control features.

The MCG is equipped with an unprecedented set of functions. Until now, no mass-produced joystick has been so packed with functionality.

• GATE CONT (УПРАВ СТРОБ) microstick axes are absolute.

This means that the axis parameter is proportional to the angle of deflection of the hat. Once it is released, the parameter returns to its original state.

• MASTER MODE (РЕЖИМ КБО) microstick is different though.

By default it is a 8-position POV (Point Of View) control.

– A Long press (over 0.3 sec) switches it into analog/relative mode.

∗ This means that the angle of deflection of the hat influences not the parameter, but the velocity of the parameter change. Slightly deflecting the hat will result in slow change of the axis parameter, but the farther you push it, the faster the change will occur.

– A Short press (less than 0.3 sec) will return the stick's axes back to original position (center).

– Another long press will activate POV mode again.

This mode is made for better convenience of looking around. Controlling the camera in this way can be faster and more precise. In the middle of the battle when you need to quickly move your eyes from left to right, our POV mode can come in quite handy.

∗ Pilots who use head trackers can use this microstick for trimming the plane or to control auxiliary axes, such as piston-prop plane's radiators.

Factory settings:

• X Y axes – Roll and Pitch

• Z axis– Rudder (T-Rudder pedals or twist axis)

• rX and rY axes – MASTER MODE (РЕЖИМ КБО)

• Y and X axes, rZ and Slider – GATE CONT (УПРАВ СТРОБ)

• Y and X axes – Brake Lever

• The foldable trigger (by default) produces button actions in the 'SAFE' (flipped up) position.

Above mentioned technical information may be updated and altered. It is recommended that you visit this forum occasionally for updates.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

In 2017 we didn't make too many announcements of new products – there were other things that kept us busy to waste air on self-advertising. So what, you may ask, the whole year you were working only on the MCG?! – the answer is around the corner. After all, isn't keeping customers intrigued the best of all advertisements...?

All the best for the coming New Year from the VKB team!

Yours as always,

Global VKB Team

North America https://vkbcontrollers.com/

Europe https://flightsimcontrols.com/

Russia http://vkb-sim.pro/

• Like 1

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short little video to help visualize (via VKBJoyTester) the MCG PRO's Master Mode "Relative Axes Mode" (sorry about the low quality).

https://i.imgur.com/3a6QCfb.mp4

So, what I did during the recording of this clip was:

I pressed and held the Master Mode button down for about 0.3 sec and it changed into relative axes mode (rX and rY axes); I then moved the master mode hat switch around, and as you can see from the clip, the axes did not return to center. At the 18 seconds mark in the clip, pressed the Master Mode button down for a brief moment and it re-centered both axes.

Pressing the Master Mode switch again for 0.3 sec would change the Master Mode operation from relative axes mode back to POV mode, acting like normal digital inputs.

Hope this short clip helped a little to get an idea as to what the relative axes mode does.

EDIT: Added a direct link to the clip via dropbox here (the downloaded version has slightly better quality).

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

(Reserved for some useful and updated info down the line)

• In case you're looking for how to do things using VKBdevCfg, WIZZO, or your VKB controller hardware, there's a howto section on the official VKB Forum -
click here to get there.

• There's a small FAQ section at VKBcontrollers.com -
click here to have a look.

• How to add a button to the end of the brake lever axis travel -
click here to have a look.

• Writeup on how to get your new MCG/MCG PRO to work with your Gunfighter Mk.I -
click here

• VKB released updated
VKBdevCfg software (Jan 12, 2018 ) and updated firmware (Jan 12, 2018 ) for Gunfighter + MCG/MCG PRO/KG12.

• VKB released updated
updated firmware (Jan 15, 2018 ) for Gunfighter + MCG/MCG PRO/KG12.

• VKB released updated
updated firmware (Jan 18, 2018 ) for Gunfighter + MCG/MCG PRO/KG12.

• I've put together this (unofficial) condensed guide on how to flash/reset/calibrate your Gunfighter + MCG setup;
click here to access it.

• I've put together this (unofficial) quick guide on how to open up your MCG grip;
click here to access it.

• VictorUs released the English language VKB user guide for all aspects of the VKBdevCfg software.
Click here to get it (now on the official VKB FTP site). (May 10, 2018 )

• VKB HQ released a new version of their firmware update software "ZBootloader-C"; you can download it from their FTP Site -
click here.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Am I right assuming one can put the master mode in a relative axis mode as the gate and vice versa ?

I cant really think of a usecase for a relative axis and would want both in absolute mode, I guess its possible just making sure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

The "relative axis" lost me, but need to read it couple times and previsualize it how it works :D

Anyways, Happy New Year and congratulations from your achievement in 2017!

Let the 2018 to be a profitable one for every other controller manufacturer than the main stream ones! ;)

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I have been thinking about MCG PRO for a while now but one thing that is is not clear to me is whether it is usable sitting on the desk? Is that possible? If so, which parts would I need to order?

Thanks

The standard Gunfighter with MCG (or MCG PRO) is meant for tabletop usage. That should do. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Well since the other thread is closed I will repeat my question I had posted there earlier here, maybe someone can respond...

General Question:

Once your pre-orders are filled for the various MCG grips, what will availability be going forward? Wait for batch runs, or will there be availability from stock?

If batch runs, how often do you foresee running these grips?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Didn't notice it to this date, but does that really have a two triggers, both dual-stage?

The metal "missile launch" that one can fold up, fold it down for "stand-by" and then pull for trigger + SOFT LAUNCH. And then as additional a two-stage trigger under it, first stage being behind small spring, and the second stage being after the spring button?

Oh and I as well need to wonder that if someone would now want to buy that, what changes they do have to get order even placed in the 2018? :D

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

By standard Gunfighter do you mean not Pro or not Mk II? I assume not Pro, like this one:

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-gunfighter-revb-mcg-pro

Can you confirm?

Thanks

That's the one, yes.

• Like 1

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Well since the other thread is closed I will repeat my question I had posted there earlier here, maybe someone can respond...

General Question:

Once your pre-orders are filled for the various MCG grips, what will availability be going forward? Wait for batch runs, or will there be availability from stock?

If batch runs, how often do you foresee running these grips?

dburne, they answered that question two days ago and I'm pretty sure I've seen that asked and answered several times prior.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3338846&postcount=1050

@dburne:

We are producing enough goods now to be fully stocked up and keep our dealers the same way.

As we have just started producing this model, it will take a while before all pre-orders are taken care of, probably some time in mid/late January.

Chinese New Year however also has to be mentioned in this context.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

dburne, they answered that question two days ago and I'm pretty sure I've seen that asked and answered several times prior.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3338846&postcount=1050

Thanks for the heads up, guess I somehow missed the reply.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

How can I pre-order in Europe? flightsimcontrols.com seem not have them in the store pages?

Yes wondering the same. Europe seems to be left out. Maby sometime in 2018 i might be able to buy one hopefully.

Not happy about the "other" brand of prosumer sticks i bought. And i love my VKB pedals.

I've been watching VKB for some time now and I can only conclude that living in Europe is a no go for ordering from them. The European web page is utterly dysfunctional and filled with old "out of stock" items and response is abysmal. For me ViRPIL is the go to company and I will order from them instead, sorry but thats how i see it.

Edited by hakjar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

I've been watching VKB for some time now and I can only conclude that living in Europe is a no go for ordering from them. The European web page is utterly dysfunctional and filled with old "out of stock" items and response is abysmal. For me ViRPIL is the go to company and I will order from them instead, sorry but thats how i see it.
Yes their European site is a shame...no news, impossible to understand how to order one of these...that's bad for us...on the other end Virpil has the same site for every continent and much easier to order from them.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Exactly the reason I ordered my new stick from Virpil.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

It's kinda sad for the european dealer but thruth is, Europe is really behind the curve comparing to the North American market. VKB should really look into its partnership with the dealer if their contract allows it. Considering finding a new dealer or expanding the distribution to multiple dealers should be a priority for 2018/2019.

We are being told that European Union is a pain regarding customs and it's true. But having experience in buying in the US and Canada and being delivered by ship from China, I never had to wait 3 to 6 months regarding my colleagues in North America. If everything was fine, I'd received my merchandise 30 to 45 days after the ship leaving China.

I'm fine to wait the new stick and the upcoming throttle, but there is obviously something wrong about the european market management. At this point, this mismanagement is leading to a loss of profits but more importantly a lack of trust from potential customers.

In the meantime I'll keep enjoying my Gunfighter and the KG12 with IL-2 and will wait for the MCG Pro to use it in DCS.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

How hard could it be to get a proper webshop up and running for european customers? I fail to see the logic to why europeans are left out of the market.

I regularly order stuff from both US, Russia and China, so if I have to I'll just order directly from the VKB sites there. If they can ship abroad, though...

Can someone from VKB please give us poor europeans an answer to how we can buy your products?

Edited by SACG_Yeti

We are being told that European Union is a pain regarding customs and it's true.

And that is exactly the reason why I am only ordering from an EU dealer - to not have to deal with taxes, customs and other fees - not to speak of having probably going to the customs office myself (during regular office times, eh?) to pick up my package...

So, catch-22, I guess.:(