Idea! Smart in pit keybindings!

Pikey

Hi ED!

This just occurred to me and I thought it would be really useful to many people, but more so the new crowd, the VR users and the first module install time.

So... ever had that problem when you are looking around the pit at a switch, you know either what it does, or close to, and you need it bound to a HOTAS.... so you hit Esc, keybindings, and then are faced with the wall of keybinds and your brain melts.

But worse... and this happens to experienced pilots too... the search box, is "sort of OK" but for some reason, 'Gear' is 'undercarriage', or it begins "Raise/lower gear" or even "toggle undercarriage" or any of the crazy permutations for the same button that you know and your mind is screaming.... I know what it does, just which of these buttons actually operates it!!!

I think it could be time gentleman, to look at a solution that goes a bit like this...

You have a UI layer keybind, like MB4 or anything really, that, when you hover over the hitbox for the switch with that button pressed and released, then brings up the binding UI with the context of that switch!

How cool would THAT be, eh?

Bind undercarriage... no probs, highlight the gear handle, press your magic button, minimum UI appears with all the associated bindings and their namesGear is a relative poor example, but some of those MFD panels or UCP ones are difficult to find because you dont know their namesto search for.

The same button could also circumvent the auto popup labels that are globally set in precedence of the mission>server>client and that some servers switch off or that you were OK without labels for old faithful module but cant for the life of you remember the name of that odd button in the Spitfire or w/e.

Hope this makes sense. It s probably hard to code, but you have to admit, everyone would love it!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Id be totally happy already if DCS wouldnt bind "pitch up" to my MFCD OSB12 key or "left throttle" to my left rudder by default O.o (happens every now and then when i unplug and replug my TM Cougar MFCDs for example or install a new module)

But your idea would really be sweet, i never can remember how that switch was called in the controls menu - even worse when you walk someone new through setting key bindings and he got his game set to another language :D

Simply looking at it, hit a special key and then the button/switch youd like to have it put to... sounds lovely.

Gone for good.

+1

Very good idea. I'd like to see this implemented. Shouldn't be too hard to code should it?

Default bindings on new modules definitely needs work too. Often I see POV functions set on my CH-Pro pedals - which obviously don't have any POV's at all. Seems like random stuff generated with no connection to reality.