New engine sound ?

River

Can we please get a proper in cockpit engine sound ? Compared to the other warbirds it's really weak, flat and I guess just not like in the real 109. Sound wise it is just plane boring to fly. Is anybody working on better sounds at ED ?

Can we please get a proper in cockpit engine sound ? Compared to the other warbirds it's really weak, flat and I guess just not like in the real 109. Sound wise it is just plane boring to fly. Is anybody working on better sounds at ED ?

I hope not, sounds are good right now

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I guess any major Dora revamp is out of question, as nobody knows how the real thing sounded like (those three old videos of D13 on youtube don't offer much of a reference material, sadly).

The questions are - can Konstantin squeeze something more out of old recordings of 109G they made years ago? Also, can he get an access to one of Gustavs again and get some new samples with experience and equipment he has nowadays?

That's his last comment on the subject:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4094441&postcount=29

Let's hope he will be able to do it, because his Spit and Mustang rework brought those planes to another level.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team

Dear all,

Spitfire and Mustang sound updates are still not complete. As for the German planes, Please, be patient. Due to the long time spent on spitfire and mustang, a huge number of urgent tasks have been accumulated that need to be performed in the first place.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

Dear all,

Spitfire and Mustang sound updates are still not complete. As for the German planes, Please, be patient. Due to the long time spent on spitfire and mustang, a huge number of urgent tasks have been accumulated that need to be performed in the first place.

thanks we really appreciate the hard work and love the sounds are getting. it really shows when i hear the new merlin sounds and the BMW801

Edited by Sceptre

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Dear all,

Oki doki, thank you. By the way it seems the left right stereo is out of balance in the 109. I have more engine bass in the right audio channel when looking normal streight forward. Will test it, maybe just an issue on my end.

The in cockpit sound of the 109 is far from great though and way too silent also compared to the other warbirds.

Oki doki, thank you. By the way it seems the left right stereo is out of balance in the 109. I have more engine bass in the right audio channel when looking normal streight forward. Will test it, maybe just an issue on my end.

Maybe the default head position (offset to the right) in special options has something to do with it? On my soundcard and headphones I don't hear any difference between three positions available, but I wouldn't be surprised situation was different on your hardware. Does it happen with "cruise" setting as well?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, i like it :) Hope Fw190 D9 will have its turn too soon.

Finally it sounds like v12

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Yup, they're already massive improvement over the old ones, though I'm sure BTD will tweak them even further. For the most part I like them very much. After a single, short test-flight, the only things I'm not quite fond of at the moment are:

a) below 750 RPM idle sample borrowed from Anton is used, and it's just too rough-running for an in-line V-12 engine. Not a big issue, though, as we spend most of our time on the ramp warming up above 800-1000 and this is where new, excellent sample kicks in, which you will immediately recognize from youtube 109 videos.

b) I have an impression, that external F2 sounds in power settings above 1.2-1.3 ATA are a little more quiet compared to 1.0-1.1 range, while I would expect it to be the other way around. More testing will be necessary;

c) when cutting throttle to minimum, in F3 fly-by view the engine is quiet, but supercharger whistle remains rather loud, so the plane sounds as if it was jet-powered ;) :D.

These are minor issues, though. I'm off to fly again :).

• ED Team
Yup, they're already massive improvement over the old ones, though I'm sure BTD will tweak them even further. For the most part I like them very much. After a single, short test-flight, the only things I'm not quite fond of at the moment are:

a) below 750 RPM idle sample borrowed from Anton is used, and it's just too rough-running for an in-line V-12 engine. Not a big issue, though, as we spend most of our time on the ramp warming up above 800-1000 and this is where new, excellent sample kicks in, which you will immediately recognize from youtube 109 videos.

b) I have an impression, that external F2 sounds in power settings above 1.2-1.3 ATA are a little more quiet compared to 1.0-1.1 range, while I would expect it to be the other way around. More testing will be necessary;

c) when cutting throttle to minimum, in F3 fly-by view the engine is quiet, but supercharger whistle remains rather loud, so the plane sounds as if it was jet-powered ;) :D.

These are minor issues, though. I'm off to fly again :).

Idle did borrowed from Red 7 in Duxford...

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

2 concerns

1. Cockpit engine sound at range about 2000 rpm sounds wierd.

2.Supercharger whine not related to rpm, very loud even when engine rpm is low in flight, like Art-J said when you cut throttle in flight, in F3 Flyby bf 109 sounds like idling jet.

Overall like the sounds.

I think main problem lies in limited capability of playing differential sounds of the sound engine, all sounds issues i find in warbirds are exactly the same in every plane.

Edited by grafspee

• ED Team
2 concerns

1. Cockpit engine sound at range about 2000 rpm sounds wierd.

Thanks, I will check it.

2 concerns

2.Supercharger whine not related to rpm, very loud even when engine rpm is low in flight, like Art-J said when you cut throttle in flight, in F3 Flyby bf 109 sounds like idling jet.

I think that you are not talking about a supercharger, but about the sound of a whistle, which depends on the speed of the aircraft. Yes, there are two like-whistle sounds in BF-109. And the second consists of two main frequencies, which each plane has different in real life.

Is it very loud with minimum speed too?

I think main problem lies in limited capability of playing differential sounds of the sound engine, all sounds issues i find in warbirds are exactly the same in every plane.

Please explain what kind of identical sounds issues you are talking about. None of the aircraft but 109 have a supercharger.

Edited by btd

Best regards,

The supercharger sounds fine, and wonderful. Remember that the 109's supercharger is almost directly exposed to the air, and that it's powered by the engine with a fluid coupling instead of a gearbox like our other warbirds so it makes sense that it lags behind the engine RPM changing a bit.

Thanks, I will check it.

I think that you are not talking about a supercharger, but about the sound of a whistle, which depends on the speed of the aircraft. Yes, there are two like-whistle sounds in BF-109. And the second consists of two main frequencies, which each plane has different in real life.

Is it very loud with minimum speed too?

Please explain what kind of identical sounds issues you are talking about. None of the aircraft but 109 have a supercharger.

Oh, if there is 2 type of whistle sound in bf 109 so i probably hearing this speed related then.

• ED Team
Remember that the 109's supercharger is almost directly exposed to the air, and that it's powered by the engine with a fluid coupling instead of a gearbox like our other warbirds so it makes sense that it lags behind the engine RPM changing a bit.

Exactly.

Best regards,

Much improved sound, thank you btd!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control