Since when is it possible to fly with VR Controller? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
unknown

Default Since when is it possible to fly with VR Controller?

Ok, maybe i missed this but i'm sure that i was only able to use the switches in cockpit at the beginning of the year than i bought my Rift S. By accident i was sitting in my Mi-8 today and tryed to click a button and noticed i was moving the cyclic, also the collective was usable and i could actually fly the MI-8 just with the Rift S controller's, this worked also in the F/A-18 but the throttle didn't work in the F-16 for me, stick yes. Is this a known feature or was this added recently? I couldn't find anything about this in a quick search.
Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, Supercarrier

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

System: Win 10 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti XE ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA

MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - Oculus Rift S
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
BaD CrC

News for me. How did you switch from the chopper controls to switches activation?
I guess this should go into input/output / VR
Old 10-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Harlikwin
Veteran

There have been demo vids for a while.

How was it? Did you feel like you could control the plane well?

I have personally settled on physical hotas controls and pointCntr for pushing buttons in the pit as my near term VR solution.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
Eldur

Must be new. With the F-16C release this definately was not in yet. Gonna try this when I'm back home next week. Could be pretty interesting, especially for convincing someone who doesn't have a HOTAS yet, but runs a VR HMD. In the end, having physical devices always will be better anyway.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldur View Post
Must be new. With the F-16C release this definately was not in yet. Gonna try this when I'm back home next week. Could be pretty interesting, especially for convincing someone who doesn't have a HOTAS yet, but runs a VR HMD. In the end, having physical devices always will be better anyway.
Physical devices will rule the roost IMO until you get actual "real" haptic feedback. But at that point, you will be just have a plug at the base of your brain to get into the "matrix".
Old 10-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
Mule

I used the controllers to push buttons and flick switches etc but I found it cumbersome in the end and reverted back to using the mouse. Which I find very easy in VR.

I have tried controlling the stick and throttle with the controllers but that was sloppy and lacked the precision you get with a dedicated HOTAS.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I used the controllers to push buttons and flick switches etc but I found it cumbersome in the end and reverted back to using the mouse. Which I find very easy in VR.

I have tried controlling the stick and throttle with the controllers but that was sloppy and lacked the precision you get with a dedicated HOTAS.
Exactly my experience for the first part, never tried the stick and throttle though. MilesD PointControl finger trackers work well if you need a VR interface solution that works.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post

Same experience here as well, quickly ditched the controllers and went back to the HOTAS. Have you tried a track/touch pad by chance? I used the mouse for a long time (along with VR) when learning the A10C - but towards the end of "mastering" that aircraft and moving to the F/A-18C I purchased a track/touch pad. Have a quick strap to fix it to my left leg, similar to knee board, and would have to say it's one of my favorite additions to go along with the TMWH. Makes the mouse functions exceptionally easy and accessible.

Cheers,

Don

Airframes: A10C, F/A-18C, F-14B, FC3, Combined Arms. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by daarseth View Post
Same experience here as well, quickly ditched the controllers and went back to the HOTAS. Have you tried a track/touch pad by chance? I used the mouse for a long time (along with VR) when learning the A10C - but towards the end of "mastering" that aircraft and moving to the F/A-18C I purchased a track/touch pad. Have a quick strap to fix it to my left leg, similar to knee board, and would have to say it's one of my favorite additions to go along with the TMWH. Makes the mouse functions exceptionally easy and accessible.

Cheers,

Don
True that . I replaced my mouse with a trackball for VR , and find it works much better .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #10
Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
True that . I replaced my mouse with a trackball for VR , and find it works much better .
Haven't tried a track ball, but that also seems like it would be a solid solution. Might pick one up to see if I prefer that over the pad.

Cheers,

Don

Airframes: A10C, F/A-18C, F-14B, FC3, Combined Arms. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote