Current state of the Viggen? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #21
Ibis

You seem to have changed your texture setting from high to medium or low.

Thank you Nicholas that indeed was the problem. I now have
that beautiful cockpit back, the best in the game.
cheers,
Ibis.
Ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #22
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra847 View Post
There simply isn't that much which is broken. The list of major issues is dwindling rapidly.
We'll get there quicker than you think.
I always like to be pleasantly surprised

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Reverb
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #23
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1 View Post
In 2D or in VR? It can't work as intended in both, because it behaves differently. In VR, as you move your head back, the image grows larger. In 2D it grows larger when you move your head forward. And the left-right movement in VR is messed up too. The image is rendered in different place for the left eye, and in different place for the right eye.
I think it is by design a such that you need to find the position in VR where you see the with other eye the collimation sight and then HUD with an another.
It is easy in VR as you have 3D and doesn't require such 2D moving that can't show it same time so we..

Anyways you are not placing an eye on it but look at it from from about normal seated distance.

If it has a zoom lens in front, you can't possibly see it from all direction with both eyes. It is like a using scope with two eyes instead binoculars where you have scopes on both eyes.

This is space saver as you don't need an CRT display with a matte glass that will spread electronic drawn image to every direction.

--
I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....
Old 08-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
amalahama

It would be nice to have the possibility to export the sight to a second monitor as well .

All in all, Viggen status right now is quite stable and, although there are some bugs here and there, I don't expect changes in the operation of the a/c, everything works pretty much as in the manual. I'm quite happy witht the module honestly (the a/c itself and the mission for what it was designed is not for everybody's taste though)

Regards!

amalahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #25
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
I think it is by design a such that you need to find the position in VR where you see the with other eye the collimation sight and then HUD with an another.
It is easy in VR as you have 3D and doesn't require such 2D moving that can't show it same time so we..

Anyways you are not placing an eye on it but look at it from from about normal seated distance.

If it has a zoom lens in front, you can't possibly see it from all direction with both eyes. It is like a using scope with two eyes instead binoculars where you have scopes on both eyes.

This is space saver as you don't need an CRT display with a matte glass that will spread electronic drawn image to every direction.

--
I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Do a little exercise. Close your right eye, put your left eye against the sight and note where the image is shown. Now close the left eye and put your right eye in the same spot. See the difference?
And now disable VR and check how it should look like.

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Reverb
Old 08-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #26
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:

Do a little exercise. Close your right eye, put your left eye against the sight and note where the image is shown. Now close the left eye and put your right eye in the same spot. See the difference?
And now disable VR and check how it should look like.
What i should see?

--
Old 08-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #27
some1

I've already explained it in my first post in this thread. The Mav image for the left eye is drawn in different place than the image for the right eye, even though you look from the same spot. That's not possible in real life, like having a spyglass that shows different image depending on whether you use it with your left eye or right eye.

Last edited by some1; 08-28-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #28
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
I've already explained it in my first post in this thread. The Mav image for the left eye is drawn in different place than the image for the right eye, even though you look from the same spot.
When I look from same spot in VR, I see what I should see, the left eye see slightly little axis compared to right eye. That is because it is collimator sight.

If I move my left eye on the position where right eye was, I see same thing as my right eye did see, but because now my right eye is further on right, it see again as well different axis as it should.

Quote:
That's not possible in real life, like having a spyglass that shows different image depending on whether you use it with your left eye or right eye.
Erhh... What? If I position my left eye in same position as my right eye, the crosshair is still in the same place. Meaning if I center my right eye so the crosshair is center of the sight and then I move my left eye to same position as my right eye was, the crosshair is again in center of the sight.

You are suppose to sit in normal position and just move your head slightly to right to get a good sighting and not to stick your eye on the tube like you explained.

A collimator sight polarize the display so it shines straight forward and not all directions like CRT display does in a KA-50 or Su-25T. Instead because the optics and polarization (collimation) both eyes can't see exactly same thing same time as the right eye can't receive same light as does the left eye and you are looking different parts of the same image because the screen is inside the tube and not in the front lens like CRT tube technology does.

The VR technology requires to do a dual-pairing of everything. And as the collimator sight screen is deeply inside the tube and gets rendered twice for stereographic reasons, you are doing wrong by playing with left eye/right eye individually game in the first place as both eyes gets a different drawing so it looks correct when you use both eyes.

To fix that thing the display should be rendered in 2D in the front lens and it would look just not collimator sight and 2D, but you could go and play your one-eye-at-the-time-like-pirate-game as much you want.

So use your both eyes, use it as you are suppose to use from far distance without pushing your eye on it.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #29
WinterH

I don't exactly know how collimated sights work, so can't be sure whether this applies them or not. However, there is such a thing IRL as two eyes seeing things in different places.

They are offset from each other, and seen from a different angle each, it is brain that creates a composite image of two, so we perceive one image. Often, we tend to see things in the pace which our "dominant eye" see them.

Difference becomes apparent when shooting for example, and I found it out in a weird way when learning archery a few months ago: I am cross-dominant unfortunately for me, I am a lefty when it comes to hands, but my dominant eye is my right eye. I began shooting left handed with a lefty bow first. I wasn't using a sight yet, and was shooting with both eyes open with a decent accuracy for a beginner. Then when I began learning to shoot with a sight, it all came apart, and no matter how I set the sights, I was shooting waaaaaay to the right. Only when I began shooting right handed, and hence using my right eye to aim with sight, did things began to make sense , even though I was using my less dextrous and weaker arm to draw and release.
MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Hawk T1A, C-101, FC3, A-10C, CA, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, L-39, MiG-15Bis, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, Yak-52, Christen Eagle II, MiG-19, I-16, JF-17, F-14

Honorable Mention Mods:
A-4E & MB-339

Wishlist:
MiG-23, MiG-27, Jaguar, Su-24M2, F-111, A-6E, A-7E&D, Ju-88A4, Ju-87G2&D5,F-4E,Mirage F-1, Mi-28N, Extra 300,J-7,MiG-25, Battle of Britain era British and German aircraft, A6M5 Zero, Fw-190F8, Super Tucano,Su-17.
WinterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #30
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
If I move my left eye on the position where right eye was, I see same thing as my right eye did see, but because now my right eye is further on right, it see again as well different axis as it should.
I though that "close your eye" in the instruction I wrote could not be simpler. I never said anything about looking at the sight with both your eyes at the same time. Just the opposite: look with one eye, then move the other one to the same spot and check if the image is in the same place. It is not, which in real life is not possible.

It's just easier to check with your head against the sight, because it's a good reference point, so you can be sure you're looking from the same spot. Unfortunately DCS only makes a screenshot of the left eye in VR, so I can' simply show the problem on a picture.

Last edited by some1; 08-29-2017 at 12:22 PM.