VR absolutely transformational!

the touch controllers are almost as amazing as VR itself.

you can see and move your hands in the pc game.

you cant do that with any other I/o device for PC.

not even touch screens.

you can get phantom limb issues :) where you think the game arms are your real arms..

and looking at x rebirth VR.. DCS really needs to get the controllers working with the cockpits.

but then it will have to be on oculus home.. and we will have to use the oculus home version.

walled gardens everywhere..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and looking at x rebirth VR.. DCS really needs to get the controllers working with the cockpits.

With one hand on the stick and one on the throttle, which hands do you plan on using to hold the touch controllers?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks fellas. Definitely going to keep my HiFi headphones to maintain the sound quality I'm accustomed to and maximize the immersion factor (I'm going to snag a Sim Seat soon too, so I don't want to slack on the immersion in any facet...plus I love my current headphones).

I'll have to give the potential flipping of the Touch controllers a bit more thought.

Appreciate all the responses, NewEgg says the Rift will be here Monday so hopefully sometime next week I'll have a chance to give it a go -- need to get on swapping my SLI 970's for a 1080 Ti in short order, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

With one hand on the stick and one on the throttle, which hands do you plan on using to hold the touch controllers?

funnily enough i did try this. the hand i have on my warthog throttle i can palm the touch controller when not using it (like you can palm the controllers when putting on the headset. it is what the ring is for.) and it does not hinder me using the buttons or throttle.

and i can use the touch with a quick wiggle of the hand.

and i only need one hand to flick buttons.

i talk to my wingmen using voiceattack

but i dont like using it for buttons.

so i use the mouse currently as its better in VR than trackir.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

This was my initial logic for selling them upon arrival...I figure for sims (flight and racing), eventually someone is going to have to develop tech that doesn't require being held by a "free" hand.

On my WSP I'll have the mouse just off to my right side, so I will just use that for that for the time being.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Bored as hell traveling at the moment, so I'll ask another question: is it necessary to get a 1080 Ti? Or is a 1080 sufficient?

I'm sure I'll update my GPU when I upgrade to Gen 2 VR in late 2018 or 2919, so I might attempt to be cost conscious for once in my life.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

The 1080 should be sufficient. I'd hang on for the next gen before splashing out on a GPU if you already have the 1080.

I've got SLI 970's currently which def won't cut it...so I've gotta make a move now. Once the Gen 2 VR headsets are out I will 100% upgrade to it and I'll get the latest and greatest GPU with it at that time...so just trying to solve the gap for now. Hmm...

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Have you previously played with a TrackIr or equivalent? I'm currently using head tracking which is a marked improvement to nothing but looking around via a joystick hat switch but I'd be interested to hear views on how much better VR is vs head tracking?

One thing that strikes me as being difficult with VR is needing to use the keyboard, when you can't see it. Presumably it's a case of having a decent hotas and mapping as much as possible?

Let me put it this way. I gave my TiR away for free to someone on these forums because there was *NO* way I would fly in 2D. It's that much of a difference. Do this, go near a SAM site and have them launch. Then try to fly the plane while maintaining spacial awareness as you are *looking* at the sam streaking up towards you.

Or do this with TiR. Flow low towards a bombing target, pull up your nose, when you can't see the target anymore because of the front of the plane, go inverted and "look up" to look down while continuing to climb. You have eyes on the target and after achieving height, start diving back, invert, and bomb the target. Very awkward or impossible with TiR because your brain knows you're not inverted or looking up/down. It's perfectly natural with VR.

With all the challenges (of not having 4K vision), I would never ever go back to monitors. The ED stops VR development is the day I quit playing DCS. What would be the point w/o VR.

And you can look through the bridge of the nose just fine. I'm using MFDs and Razer Chroma just fine. And will use button boxes if I can ever get around to cutting my acrylic.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

From what I have been reading here on the forum, in the VR section in particular, looking strictly at DCS and VR, you wont gain much, if anything, going for a 1080Ti over a 1080.

Only difference really being, it seems, that the Ti can handle a little more pixel density. But then again, if the 1080 already runs 1.5-1.6 PD, then you will really have a hard time seeing the improvement. Also, high PD makes it harder to spot.

1070 owner here, and from what I can tell, neither 1080 or 1080Ti users, seem to have it any better or worse, when it comes to 2.1 and VR, and especially Normandy. That being the future of DCS, so....

Was it my money, and strictly for DCS, I would grab a nice 1080 OC card.

But have a read trough the VR forum. Many performance related threads, and many regarding the Ti.

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

You bastards are really selling me on throwing away my plan of "Waiting until the next gen VR" to get in. Damn it.

...I currently have NewEgg tabs open to the Rift CV1 Summer Deal page + the MSI 1080 Ti page.

Buckeye,

Th 970 SLI will be tough on VR. So do keep that in mind. I think it's another 18 months before next gen headsets come out. There is a lower tier VR HMD from Oculus slated for next summer. But it's lower spec than CV1.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Buckeye,

Th 970 SLI will be tough on VR. So do keep that in mind. I think it's another 18 months before next gen headsets come out. There is a lower tier VR HMD from Oculus slated for next summer. But it's lower spec than CV1.

Yes sir, thank you for the callout...on these last couple of posts I've begun to address that, I am ditching the SLI 970's. I have a 1080 Ti on order at present (as of about 5 minutes ago), but I still may cancel and go for just a 1080. Still can't decide for certain :cry:

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Well, I upgraded from a 1080 to a 1080 TI just because of getting the Rift. So, food for thought...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I have a 1080TI , still would like more power when running VR mind you

Quick question

1.5.7 + VR = su-25T targeting camera not working ?

• Like 1

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Well, I upgraded from a 1080 to a 1080 TI just because of getting the Rift. So, food for thought...

Welp, looks like I'll keep the Ti then...

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Yes sir, thank you for the callout...on these last couple of posts I've begun to address that, I am ditching the SLI 970's. I have a 1080 Ti on order at present (as of about 5 minutes ago), but I still may cancel and go for just a 1080. Still can't decide for certain :cry:

I'd go with the 1080Ti. And when you get the MFGs, you'll love'em!

:joystick:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

:thumbup:

Smart move, I went from 1080 to 1080 Ti and am glad I did.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

since you already pulled the trigger, stick with the Ti.

I've been flying with the 1080, and PD at 1.5, all good.

we're looking forward to your first flight report! :pilotfly::thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

what's the difference frames wise? I have a 1080 and I am curious!

Hard to really say for sure, I probably gained around 5-10 fps in Normandy. However it is still very performance hungry though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Oculus Rift arrived today, 1080 Ti should arrice early next week. I'm traveling the next couple of days anyway so I won't be around...but damn do I wish I was so I could give this my first try.

I think I am going to quickly reformat my PC from scratch, then strip out the SLI 970s and pop the 1080 Ti in, once I return home. Then I'll plug in the Rift and be on my way.

Sometime next week my Warthog extension and new spring arrives, and my Wheel Stand Pro arrives either late next week or early the following week. I also need to give it a greasing (and as suchI need to learn how the hell to disassemble it). Going to be a busy next couple of weeks.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Oculus Rift arrived today, 1080 Ti should arrice early next week. I'm traveling the next couple of days anyway so I won't be around...but damn do I wish I was so I could give this my first try.

I think I am going to quickly reformat my PC from scratch, then strip out the SLI 970s and pop the 1080 Ti in, once I return home. Then I'll plug in the Rift and be on my way.

Sometime next week my Warthog extension and new spring arrives, and my Wheel Stand Pro arrives either late next week or early the following week. I also need to give it a greasing (and as suchI need to learn how the hell to disassemble it). Going to be a busy next couple of weeks.

and I see you've got the MFG's coming soon too. very nice sim rig you'll have there! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

and I see you've got the MFG's coming soon too. very nice sim rig you'll have there! :thumbup:

Yes indeed, really looking forward to it.

I was more than content with my old 34" Ultrawide in 1440p, using Track IR and my Saitek pedals and just having the base Warthog HOTAS with no joystick extension or even the Wheel Stand Pro...I had always thought I was "doing it big"with that set up, but this new one is clearly going to blow that out of the water. I can't wait!

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

what's the difference frames wise? I have a 1080 and I am curious!

With an Oculus it's about how high you can turn up supersampling and still maintain frame rates. Ti model can put out ~30% more performance, which will equate to sharper picture because you can turn SS up higher. Lots of folk mentioning PD settings from DCS menu but no one has mentioned SuperSampling yet which is done in the Oculus menu.

It is said to be a 'night and day' difference if you can push the pixels though so in this use case the Ti model in this case actually does make a difference.

https://www.vrheads.com/everything-you-need-know-about-supersampling-oculus-rift

With an Oculus it's about how high you can turn up supersampling and still maintain frame rates. Ti model can put out ~30% more performance, which will equate to sharper picture because you can turn SS up higher. Lots of folk mentioning PD settings from DCS menu but no one has mentioned SuperSampling yet which is done in the Oculus menu.

It is said to be a 'night and day' difference if you can push the pixels though so in this use case the Ti model in this case actually does make a difference.

https://www.vrheads.com/everything-you-need-know-about-supersampling-oculus-rift

Oh... so here I thought that PD (Pixel Density) was the same as Super Sampling (just another phrase). Guess it's not. Thanks for that hint!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com