Me and Yeager's Grandaughter

Cruachan

Reading through the messages in this forum, I started thinking you guys might get a kick out of this story. So, here it goes!

When I was in college, I lived in a dormitory for a while that was co-ed. Down the hall from me was a young, stunning brunette girl who I got to know. One day she mentions to me that her last name is Yeager... I was like... "Wow, just like Chuck Yeager, eh?"

Then she says, "Ya... he's my Granddad."

"Wait, are you kidding? Really? Holy cow that's amazing!!" I proceeded to fawn over her even more knowing that she was from flight royalty. I mean really, I was one step removed from General Yeager himself! Well, we kept talking for a while and I suddenly remembered something that I thought she'd get a kick out of.

"You know, I just remembered, my dad used to fly in a squadron that your grandfather was the commander of. In fact, I even have a picture of your grandfather pinning a medal on my father's uniform."

So she says, "Wow, no kidding... why don't you get the picture to me and I'll have my grandfather sign it for you!"

Ok guys, this is where I crash and burn... We were pretty good friends and I kind of felt like teasing her a bit, so I say, "How about I get my dad to sign a copy of it, and we can send it to your grandfather? Ha Ha..." In any event, she took it like I meant it, just a funny joke and we carried on the conversation. Honestly, she was one of prettiest girls I'd ever met... not that that matters much... but geez...

Ok, so here is the part where I realize the crash and burn. Later that year, I'm back at home visiting with my parents and I suddenly recall the fact that I'm living in the same dorm as Yeager's granddaughter. I remember the funny way I ended the conversation and I'm eager to tell my father the story... I'm sure he's going to think it was totally awesome of his son to be so 'proud' of his father. So, I relate the story... yep, being proud of what I said to her.

"What!?! I could have had it signed!?!? You DUMMY!!"... ya, he was not happy... We did have a bit of a laugh though, but honestly, I had no idea that he would have wanted it so much... so ya, I did feel like a horse's ass.

I don't know... I think its a funny story. I've attached a copy of the picture below. I'm still totally proud that my dad flew in Yeager's squadron... this was in Vietnam.

Cheers everyone,

Cru

051.thumb.jpg.087dc58bfcdd678a33323f6ee4c5c5bf.jpg

Edited by Cruachan
typo

Reading through the messages in this forum, I started thinking you guys might get a kick out of this story. So, here it goes!

Enjoyed that little tale, thanks for posting, the classic DOH moment ;-)

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Well, we will assume that since she was pretty, and you were young, that your brain wasn't working properly. Understandable. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

LOL... ya... certainly in hindsight, I should have taken the opportunity... Oh well.

So you lost touch with her and have no picture of her either?...too bad...

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Sadly, it was only that one year and I transferred to a different college.... As an Air Force brat myself, I was never really the type to stay in touch. Honestly, I can't even remember her name. Jennifer maybe? Oh well, one day she'll read this post and remind me, eh? :)

Well, we will assume that since she was pretty, and you were young, that your brain wasn't working properly. Understandable. :D

+1 :megalol:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X