Are we players saying farewell to the MiG-15 and the Sabre?!

Alpenwolf

The MiG-15 and the F-86 are the only two modules (trainers don't count) that are seldom seen anywheres on DCS. The lack of players simply renders the two modules "unattended". SeaQuark was almost the only if not the only server dedicated to these Korean era planes. Due to shortage of fundings SeaQuark had to shut down the server for unknown period of time as he said that himself on his thread.

The way I see it most DCS members are the typical player who wants to get into the action as fast as possible, counting kills, firing missiles, having a better SA flying modern aircrafts and basically not scratch their head all that much. Immediate fun and excitement. Don't get me wrong, all that is ok and I do have my favourites among the FC3 planes. This is only my individual analysis and observation on what could be the reason for lacking the numbers for the MiG-15 and the Sabre.

On the other hand we've got the WWll theatre. Four modules so far and future ones are being announced or wished for here and there. On top of that the dedicated Normandy map and the Assets Pack. WWll is growing fast in DCS and more players can't help but start flying WWll planes which is also great nonetheless.

Now the MiG-15 and the Sabre are kind of lost between the two eras of WWll and modern aerial battles. The latter including missiles, BVR fights and of course highly sophisticated avionics as you all know which gives us a complete different style of aerial battles.

So if you want some badass dogfights with gun kills only you got back to the WWll era, otherwise you stick with modern planes. The MiG-21 being so damn famous and unique in it's style is therefore among the servers housing modern planes and as such will never go astray. Probably the same could be said about the F-5 too. So the MiG-15 and the Sabre are obviousley lost and therefore almost comletely forgotten.

So I'd like to suggest the following to maybe help bring back these two planes:

1- Tournaments for the MiG-15 vs F-86

2- Having BuddySpike or anyone else launching their Korean-War-Theatre campaign which is very similar to the current BlueFlag type of skirmish

3- Offering slots to these two modules even on servers where they don't really fit in (This suggestion sounds weak)

4- Maybe Belsimtek could make these modules even cheaper (this one is not in our hands and frankly I don't like the idea of making things cheap and cheaper. Hard work should be appreciated)

5- Offering the two modules or at least one as a reward to winners in various tournaments (again, not sure how possible this is)

6- If you have the modules and haven't flown 'em in a while, give it a second shot! You might start liking 'em again or at all.

Cheers and thank you SeaQuark for the good old times on your server!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

The problem is they are both Korean War / early Vietnam war era planes. Hell the saber was quickly replaced by the F-4. The Korean War itself is even barely a memory anymore. Even in the US they don't even teach about in school, and it's all but forgotten in the general populace.

All of these factors lead heavily to very few people being interested in a particular airframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything strictly WVR in DCS is not "good" enough for the majority of players. If the community continues with the current trend the message will be loud a resounding to ED.....I could see development ceasing for any of this older modules, aka Korea and older. Rob had a great Korea server for a while.

on

BF could at least offer some role slots for these two mighty planes. I think they deserve that place.

I've suggested that on their thread too. Instead of having the TF-51 or in addition to that. With some bombs and guns they could even close a FARP or an airbase once the air defences are down.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Interesting. The Korean War is sometimes referred to as The Forgotten War", and for the same reasons. Even WW1 (the "War to End All Wars") was forgotten after WW2. Ask people to name a battle, and Frozen Chosin is the usual (and only) one mentioned.

Maybe get a second computer and run a dedicated server for the era that is being "forgotten"?

Interesting. The Korean War is sometimes referred to as The Forgotten War", and for the same reasons. Even WW1 (the "War to End All Wars") was forgotten after WW2. Ask people to name a battle, and Frozen Chosin is the usual (and only) one mentioned.

Maybe get a second computer and run a dedicated server for the era that is being "forgotten"?

All you've said is true, I know. Which adds up to my guessing on why these modules are not all that famous in DCS. So I only suggested a couple of things trying to bring them back to life. Simply because I love the MiG-15 and others the Sabre!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Another issue I've seen with Korean server is they lack the player numbers initially when they are purely historical, then they start adding 21's, F-5's etc in order to get the players. I feel like that has hurt some servers as they were developing. I'd prefer the historical Korea scenario. 86 and 15 are two fantastic modules if your on the fence about purchasing.

on

They are on Dynamic Caucas 16 agr server just get someone to Sead the Airfield before you attack. One of our guys was in an F86 on our Airfield attack yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

They are on Dynamic Caucas 16 agr server just get someone to Sead the Airfield before you attack. One of our guys was in an F86 on our Airfield attack yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good to know! I always add them to the ACG missions (Tiger vs Fishbed) to also give them a chance to fly.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Adding a couple of concrete runways in Normandy..

You can make "what if" scenarios of WWIII Warsaw Pact breakthrough Fulda gap and closing on France. Early with Migs and Sabres.

More plausible in the 80`es with most of other jets and choppers.

could see development ceasing for any of this older modules, aka Korea and older. Rob had a great Korea server for a while.

Still do, waiting patiently for the WWII asset pack to be integrated before making more changes.

That being said, 2.1.1 is far better for WVR dogfighting and lack of a second NTR Map or Normandy map and assets pack is preventing me from moving it over to 2.1.1 already.

Another problem is that they have a really hard time competing outside of a very specific era so we don't have much variety. If we had a Yak 9 and some Russian light bombers, but the A-20 and B-26 will do nicely, we could set even better scenarios.

Wait for a few weeks and see what comes from assets pack integration in 1.5.7.

Edited by 71st_AH Rob

Adding a couple of concrete runways in Normandy..

You can make "what if" scenarios of WWIII Warsaw Pact breakthrough Fulda gap and closing on France. Early with Migs and Sabres.

More plausible in the 80`es with most of other jets and choppers.

When the merge brings it all together this will bring DCS 1.5 and DCS 2.0 players together as well. You'd have more servers available with different scenarios which will probably give a better chance for modules to be flown. Or at least I hope so...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

BF could at least offer some role slots for these two mighty planes. I think they deserve that place.

They are working on an entire Korean BlueFlag variant at the moment. It was already available for testing for some days.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Many times I am searching the MP servers looking for human combat Mig-15 vs F86 for good old guns only fast jet action Korean war style. I just love the challenge of flying the Mig-15, especially against the Sabre :))

I will even spend an hour or so on an empty server hoping someone will see me and join in a Sabre to test our skills and aircraft capability. Such a shame that I am not able to find populated Mig vs Sabre servers :((

If only there was a Korean war package and enough historical aircraft, like with the Normandy project, to create the environment. Carrier operations with aircraft like the Hawker Sea Fury and others would be great! Thunder Chiefs, B29 bombers and more aircraft for the North Korean side, etc, etc. Now that would be truly great! I love the WII and early jet aircraft, prior to air-to-air missiles, but not having the historical environment to use them in is what I find disappointing most of the time.

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

They are working on an entire Korean BlueFlag variant at the moment. It was already available for testing for some days.

It was online about a year ago for a couple fo days yes, but look how long ago that is! They're not working on any Korean wars right now. They barely have time for the current BlueFlag. Besides the Vietnam BlueFlag theatre comes before the Korean one in order so I don't see them doing the Korean thing any time soon.

Many times I am searching the MP servers looking for human combat Mig-15 vs F86 for good old guns only fast jet action Korean war style. I just love the challenge of flying the Mig-15, especially against the Sabre :))

I will even spend an hour or so on an empty server hoping someone will see me and join in a Sabre to test our skills and aircraft capability. Such a shame that I am not able to find populated Mig vs Sabre servers :((

If only there was a Korean war package and enough historical aircraft, like with the Normandy project, to create the environment. Carrier operations with aircraft like the Hawker Sea Fury and others would be great! Thunder Chiefs, B29 bombers and more aircraft for the North Korean side, etc, etc. Now that would be truly great! I love the WII and early jet aircraft, prior to air-to-air missiles, but not having the historical environment to use them in is what I find disappointing most of the time.

Happy landings,

Exactly why these two modules are not all that famous...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

My 2 cents:

I have both modules and i love them both. A lot.

However, every time i get online and do a multiplayer search i check for sabre-mig-15 and over the last year i can say i have been able to go head to head sabre-mig15 about 2 or 3 times. In the ACG server recently i have flown the sabre vs. mig-21's with success, but its hard to do without flares or an rwr :joystick: -anyways, i always check for these classics 1st. I love the modern planes very much, currently learning the UH-1 and the Viggen, but i always check for these whenever i check online.

I hope there will be more players & support soon.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

The biggest issue for me personally is that there are no AI bombers to intercept in my Mig-15. If there is a server where we could do such missions even if there are no other players then it could be easier to attract more people to fly.

The biggest issue for me personally is that there are no AI bombers to intercept in my Mig-15. If there is a server where we could do such missions even if there are no other players then it could be easier to attract more people to fly.

That's more like single player to me. I know we only have AI bombers so players can't change that but it ain't thrilling enough to me to go after AI planes/helicopters no matter what. I'm sure many multiplayers would rather fight against players only or at least mostly. Now got us a tournament going on!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The problem is they are both Korean War / early Vietnam war era planes. Hell the saber was quickly replaced by the F-4. The Korean War itself is even barely a memory anymore. Even in the US they don't even teach about in school, and it's all but forgotten in the general populace.

All of these factors lead heavily to very few people being interested in a particular airframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where you got that Korea is hardly known in the US but it sounds more like you meant to yourself than people as a whole. I know more people that know details about the war than those that don't.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

That's more like single player to me. I know we only have AI bombers so players can't change that but it ain't thrilling enough to me to go after AI planes/helicopters no matter what. I'm sure many multiplayers would rather fight against players only or at least mostly. Now got us a tournament going on!

You kind of missed the point. Using AI bombers in multiplayer would be fine and doable. He was talking about a general lack of era specific content. The same problem we have for WWII.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

You kind of missed the point. Using AI bombers in multiplayer would be fine and doable. He was talking about a general lack of era specific content. The same problem we have for WWII.

Ah ok, my bad then. I think SeaQuark did have AI bombers included in one of his missions. And that mission ran well!

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments