Dunkirk - the movie

NineLine

*DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG*

I watched it in an IMAX. It was slightly too loud on the bass inside my particular theatre.

I thought it was a rather good film, but I'm biased, the story resonates with me as I'm fairly sure one of my late grandfathers was one of the evacuees in RL.

Spitfire scenes were excellent, although the gliding shootdown of the bomber at the end was a bit too farfetched.

Im sorry but this movie took time out of my life that i waisted on one of the most boring, storyless, empty character depth and random scene forward- backward jumping brainless script war movies i have ever seen....

What a waiste of time

g8PjVMw.png

Im sorry but this movie took time out of my life that i waisted on one of the most boring, storyless, empty character depth and random scene forward- backward jumping brainless script war movies i have ever seen....

What a waiste of time

That's probably how you would feel if you were there, minus the boring of course. ;)

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

I liked Dunkirk for what it was. An inevitable doom that no one could stop. Sure, it was slow in some areas and I agree with some critics who said they should have shown fighting outside of Dunkirk also. The Spitfire scenes were some of the best. The end scene though was a total joke. Overall I really liked it. The only issue I had was the end which totally destroyed the immersion I had.

Out of all the unbelievable things that have been added to historical fiction movies before, the gliding spitfire shooting down the Stuka is pretty low on the list.

Would you have to be in the exact place at the right time? Of course, but I've heard some pretty unbelievable "coincidences" in actual war stories before.

That is to say, it didn't bother me too much...

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

I saw it yesterday, great movie if you ask me.

Personally i was a bit disappointed in the scenery, i grew up not far from Dunkirk and i had the feeling it was a ww2 setup in a modern day Dunkirk. Especially when you see the spit fly over Dunkirk beach you see modern day apartments (with a lot of glass). For a movie of that budget its a bit of a shame.

In contrast my dad ended up going to watch the film recently, and in his opinion he liked it too but though it wasn't brutal enough. In his opinion he said it was pretty soft compared to bloody DDAY scene in Saving Private Ryan. He felt that it wasn't shocking enough.

The Normandy wasn't at all as "horrific" as movie makers would like to make them today. How so?

At that period of time, the reality was very horrifying experience. When someone got shot and died next to you just by falling down, it was already very terrifying experience. A people getting blown, limps separated etc ain't horrendous for today's audience.

The problem is not in the realism but in simply expectations. We need to as well remember that the audience is very though for expectations, compared to be there. Like if you see someone shot in a movie, it is like "okay" but if someone gets shot next to you when you are walking on street, it is totally different situation for many.

The adrenaline, the thinking etc doesn't work such way in the movie theaters, homes etc as it does in reality.

It is so different to be in the situations as you might not even think about it what is happening so you can stay operational, compared to as well to if you would be looking it outside from the safe perspective and you could see all the horror and think why doesn't those people get affected by it.

And this is as well one of the problems that today's audience has, that they can't watch a movie as standalone by its own merits, without comparing it to something other movie.

This is as well personally for me reason why I don't watch any trailers or I don't want to hear about the movie (meaning, I didn't read deeply your writing about the movie as I could skip the possible things to spoil it) as I want to see the story as the writer, director of photography, , casting, cinematographer and director has made it, and finally how the editor has cut the movie to look like.

Christopher Nolan has a own favorite film crew that are doing all the magic, he has the writers who write the scripts, the casting personnel who selects the actors etc and does all the heavy work and then CN is given all the credit from those people. And that is one of the problems in the movie industry/fanbase that they don't know how little the directors really do and how little they really affect to all the movie experiences, as director is just like a CEO of the company, he doesn't do anything alone and he can't do anything that the board directors and especially the chairman (producer) doesn't want.

And then comes the presentation manner, like in this case the IMAX vs home vs computer vs tablet vs phone vs X.

Where you will get totally different experience based where, how and with whom you are even looking the movie.

Some movies really need a very good audio system (and in most theaters the audio systems are terrible, even in the IMAX as the sound volume is way too high, requiring to wear a earplugs) to shine. And some just requires you to be in good mood for it.

And then there is just the simple difference, tell a story or tell the story. After all we are all going there to enjoy someones else's artistic visions or opinions.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

What a waiste of time

But the best stoiries are ones told from a non Linear perspective. It can be more interesting.

Also I think the eact opposite. A movie like Pearl Harbor would have been far better if they left out unnecessary side stories, Romantic relationships etc, and Strictly focused on the Tragedy that was Pearl Harbor.

The critics raved about it in the US. Saying it was great.

I should have known better..I never agree with the critics.

If they hate it I love it...if they like it I usually find it lacking.

Obviously, someone pays them.

I found Dunkirk disappointing. Bordering on boring.

The Dunkirk story deserves much better.

However, some of the Spitfire footage was good.

Would not rush out to see it in the theaters for $$$.

it will eventually come out on cable.

Then how can you properly judge the FIlm if by your last statementing implying you did not see it in theatres and will wait to see it for free on cable?

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The Normandy wasn't at all as "horrific" as movie makers would like to make them today. How so?

At that period of time, the reality was very horrifying experience. When someone got shot and died next to you just by falling down, it was already very terrifying experience. A people getting blown, limps separated etc ain't horrendous for today's audience.

The problem is not in the realism but in simply expectations. We need to as well remember that the audience is very though for expectations, compared to be there. Like if you see someone shot in a movie, it is like "okay" but if someone gets shot next to you when you are walking on street, it is totally different situation for many.

The adrenaline, the thinking etc doesn't work such way in the movie theaters, homes etc as it does in reality.

It is so different to be in the situations as you might not even think about it what is happening so you can stay operational, compared to as well to if you would be looking it outside from the safe perspective and you could see all the horror and think why doesn't those people get affected by it.

And this is as well one of the problems that today's audience has, that they can't watch a movie as standalone by its own merits, without comparing it to something other movie.

This is as well personally for me reason why I don't watch any trailers or I don't want to hear about the movie (meaning, I didn't read deeply your writing about the movie as I could skip the possible things to spoil it) as I want to see the story as the writer, director of photography, , casting, cinematographer and director has made it, and finally how the editor has cut the movie to look like.

Its not a problem in today's audiences. Its simply human nature to make comparisons to similar things. I really dont see why this has to be demonized. IN fact even in Academia sometimes the Instructions from Teacher/Proff or whatever may entail comparison.

War in general is "horrific". I was not trying to debate IF Normandy was more or less horrific than Dunkirk, but rather that IN any Large scale war its not out of the question to expect Gore in a war movie, even if youve never seen one. Its simply he reality / Nature of that its Gritty. Thus the expectation of it. This is Not suggesting over the top Unrealistic violence you see in B movies or Slasher Films to make it more terrifying. Besides more people have watched that as well known war movie NA than other great films such as Stalingrad (1993), which technically would be a "foreign Film" category here in NA.

Also if you do not want to read my post because your afriad of Spoilers .... Why come to this thread? It should be obvious that for discussion or offering " 2 cents" on a given film by an Op who has seen it, it should be apparent this is for people who have also watched the film :doh:.

You cant really have a proper objective opinion unless youve seen a film. Its essentially judging a book by its cover.

Also out of realm to except blood and or dismemberment IN a war movie, Especially total large scale conventional war in modern time periods. Again this was i no way a complaint, because its speaks for itself IMO that it still worked well even without it. I can very much appreciate different forms of artistic style.

Christopher Nolan has a own favorite film crew that are doing all the magic, he has the writers who write the scripts, the casting personnel who selects the actors etc and does all the heavy work and then CN is given all the credit from those people. And that is one of the problems in the movie industry/fanbase that they don't know how little the directors really do and how little they really affect to all the movie experiences, as director is just like a CEO of the company, he doesn't do anything alone and he can't do anything that the board directors and especially the chairman (producer) doesn't want.

But im not a Christopher Nolan Fanboy. I simply like any films thus far for what they are, without discriminating on who directed it. and i have not seen all of his films, Just the Batman Trilogy, Inception & Interstellar aside from Dunkirk. Considering that this is Nolans First Historical Flick, and especially the first movie about Dunkirk ( a largerly overlooked) its a pretty good job.

i think Im not the only one who realize a Director isnt the 1 Man that magically makes everything happen.

Given that most here are aviation enthusiast and realize that 1 man doesn't Design, Construct,

Engineer, Test Flight, manage, Finance, an aircraft project all on thier own. AS such I dont think people would be blind here to make such an assumption with the Film industry.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I absolutely loved the movie. It seemed very hit or miss with how much people enjoyed the stylistic choices by Christopher Nolan. Not showing a single German solider, gunshot sounds amplified tremendously & limited dialogue really helped me focus on the visuals of what was going on. This visuals I found to be absolutely beautiful, on the beach, on the sea & in the air. It was one of the better movies I've seen in the last few years.

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz l 32 GB DDR3 l MSI 1080ti l Gigabyte 97ZX l TrackIR + DelanClip l TM Warthog HOTAS l CH Pedals

AV-8B l AJS-37 l A-10A l A-10C l F-15C l F-16C l F-5E l F-14A/B l F-86F l F/A-18C l Hawk l M2000 l MiG 29 l NTTR l Persian Gulf l Su-27 l Su-33 l Su-25 l Supercarrier l L-39 l UH-1 l

• 2 weeks later...
Then how can you properly judge the FIlm if by your last statementing implying you did not see it in theatres and will wait to see it for free on cable?

Did not imply I did not see it in the theater, which I did. How did you twist that around...go figure. No Fake News Please.

Movie still sucks.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

• 3 months later...

I have been waiting for the Bluray. Saw it recently and didn´t trust my eyes: that Spit was already gliding without engine and at low altitude and did shot down a Stuka!!??? What!? And what about that switch from main fuel to reserve!?

Yes, these are tiny scenes, but what the heck he was thinking when adding that Stuka shot down while gliding?

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Managed to watch this on my flight to Cancun... glad I didn't shell out bucks to see it in a Theater...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I totally agree, there were some really unrealistic sceens in the movie, especially the gliding Spit with an air kill, but overall it was okay.

Edited by Outlaw24

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

• ED Team
I have been waiting for the Bluray. Saw it recently and didn´t trust my eyes: that Spit was already gliding without engine and at low altitude and did shot down a Stuka!!??? What!? And what about that switch from main fuel to reserve!?

Yes, these are tiny scenes, but what the heck he was thinking when adding that Stuka shot down while gliding?

Hollywood will be Hollywood :)

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2017/08/how-realistic-are-dunkirks-spitfire-flight-scenes

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Is there really any truth to what that article is saying about a Spitfire spinning out of control if the engine quits well over 120 mph? Why would that be?

(unfortunately, I'm nowhere near my DCS rig to test how the simulated one behaves...)

Skickat från min G8441 via Tapatalk

didnt like it, quit half way thru, glad i streamed it and not da movies

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I think with movies like these you need to take your flight sim geek hat off. Just enjoy it for what it is. An attempt at representing what dunkirk was like without the hollywood A-list and gloss which would have detracted further from the core message.

Not in my list of top movies, but stlll enjoyable. I dont regret the time or money spent streaming it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22