Automatic travel after Start-up. Why?

xSCAR45

Hello gentlemen. I recently purchased the Mustang and am enjoying it. I have a slight problem however and have tried the training tutorials but they didn't help much.

I was wondering why the Mustang wants to travel when I have the start-up procedure finished. I have my throttle all the way back and my propeller RPM set to full. I've moved the RPM to see if that was the problem but no joy.

Is it normal for the Mustang to want to travel on its own with no throttle input? I watched several YouTube videos and the Mustang, once started, doesn't travel. I obviously have engaged the brakes and parking brake several times to correct this problem but am wondering if the Mustang can stay still after start up without applying brakes constantly.

:captain: Modules: F/A-18C, Flaming Cliffs III, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, Nevada, Normandy :captain:

In the controller options check your throttle axis - it sounds like it might not be calibrated properly, so 'all the way back' might not actually be registering in-game as fully back.

e: does it also creep forward when starting a mission hot from the runway?

Edited by Lixma 06

one of the early steps in the startup is to set the parking brake.

tends not to wander after you do that..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

one of the early steps in the startup is to set the parking brake.

tends not to wander after you do that..

Mustang doesn't tend to wander with the throttle fully retarded, even with any brake.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Mustang doesn't tend to wander with the throttle fully retarded, even with any brake.

setting the parking brake in the p51 can be a bit tricky at first.

its an odd system.

so if its moving in the tutorial I would say he is failing to set the brake.

op you should idle at 1200 rpm to warm the engine to operating temp and it should not move at this speed with or without the brake.

its best practice to use the brake :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

e: does it also creep forward when starting a mission hot from the runway?

Yes it does. :helpsmilie:

Not sure what else to do. I reconfigured my controls thinking your advice might do the trick but to no avail. As stated before, I use the parking brake before getting ready to taxi and I have to pump the wheel brakes every fifty feet or so to avoid overspeeding while taxing to the runway. That is with the throttle all the way to idle might I add.

Once I'm airborne, I'm fine and when I land I just cut off fuel flow to safely slow down as I still accelerate ever so slightly when I land. Might not be the correct way of doing things but its what I have to do to safely pilot the Mustang.

After thinking about it my HOTAS might have something to do with it even though I reconfigured my controls for both throttle and rudder. I'm using CH Products 568 Combatstick, which has its own throttle and rudder on the device, and a CH Product Pro Throttle.

For the Combatstick, I have always had my throttle wheel all the way to idle and my rudder to middle. I don't have any issues with any of my other modules, just the Mustang. :dunno:

:captain: Modules: F/A-18C, Flaming Cliffs III, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, Nevada, Normandy :captain:

Sounds like a calibration issue.

Some things to check...

Ensure you haven't got two controls mapped to the throttle.

If you haven't already check the 'Slider' box in your throttle axis settings.

When you move the throttle is the red dot tracking the black box across the whole range of movement - like this?

eFIO9g0.gif

Also, is it just the lower end of the throttle giving you trouble - can you reach 100% power? It might not be as noticeable.

Thank you Lixma! I was unaware you could calibrate a HOTAS in DCS like this. I had to adjust Saturation X on the chart you provided. I also removed the Combatstick throttle ability as well.

Thank You! Everything is as it should be now.

Thank you Lixma! I was unaware you could calibrate a HOTAS in DCS like this. I had to adjust Saturation X on the chart you provided. I also removed the Combatstick throttle ability as well.

Thank You! Everything is as it should be now.

Seems your problem was the second axis-input from the "throttle" axis of the combat stick.

You should check if the saturation is still required. normally you want to have the ful range of the throttle axis.l

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)