How difficult is it to learn the basics of this plane ?

Csgo GE oh yeah

I want to buy this module, i think , but how much time will i spend to learn the basics ?

So far i've only been flying the FC3 airplanes . I know it's a hard question to answer , but maybe someone can shed some light on this ?

Also , is there no possibility for a demo, or free trial or something ?

The plane is easy to startup, takeoff and land on an airstrip - so the basics shouldn't be difficult to learn and could easily be done in an afternoon. Then go from there.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I also played FC3 before buying the hornet. Learning to fly it is actually pretty easy in my opinion, it’s very difficult to put yourself in a spin or other dangerous situation in the air. Learning the ins and outs of all the different weapons, radar, carrier landings, etc. will definitely take longer, but since many systems are controlled through screens in the cockpit instead of rows and rows of switches in other aircraft there is a lot less you need to commit to memory. This was my first full fidelity module I bought and I am really happy with it. There are also a ton of tutorials for many aspects of the aircraft, many of which are from ED themselves, so the learning curve is not too steep in my opinion.

I think the Hornet is relatively easy to learn compared to some of the others such as the A-10C or the KA-50. Start up is simple. It's a very stable aircraft in the air. Weapons deployment isn't too bad, but maybe that's because the current version is missing a tpod, various modes, etc.

Hornet is maybe the hardest aircfaft to learn, because it is so much coplexive. Its not just like other aircrafts, which are good in AA, AG or SEAD...Hornet is damn good in everything! Thats why i love it! :pilotfly:

OP asked how hard it is to learn the basics: answer, relatively easy.

Learning everything there is to know about it, much more involved..

The F/A-18C Hornet is the best module available, you can do almost all tasks in the battlefield, but it's still WIP.

You have step by step videos explaining everything of the plane and the Chuck's Guide helps a lot.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

I want to buy this module, i think , but how much time will i spend to learn the basics ?

So far i've only been flying the FC3 airplanes . I know it's a hard question to answer , but maybe someone can shed some light on this ?

To be honest, with Youtube now, anything can be easy to learn, so does applies to DCS and it's module, if you're willing to spend a few minutes here and there and watch videos, with the so many Tutorials out there, you could learn this aircraft from the basics as you want, to the most advanced stuff in a sorta flash. Those videos are free, watch some and you can judge by yourself how hard or easy it is, and then can decide if the bird is for you or not if you should buy or not.

Redkite on youtube does quite a few tutorials, Jabbers might as well made some basics videos, and some others guys, go on there and see. It'll be the best way to judge for yourself, as learning, is different to everyone, for some this bird can be the easiest, for others, hard. Or if you like to read Chuckowl does some brilliant PDF guides and explain stuff quites easy.

Edited by Doum76

The F/A-18C Hornet is the best module available, you can do almost all tasks in the battlefield, but it's still WIP.

I respect your opinion, but the BEST module available is A-10C. Far better.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Hornet was my first full fidelity module. It's fine to learn. Between Wag's tutorial videos and Chuck's guide you can just learn it bit by bit. Once you have gone through the process of learning one full fidelity module, any subsequent modules you get will be easier to learn as you will already understand a whole lot of fundamentals from learning the hornet.

I think the Hornet is relatively easy to learn compared to some of the others such as the A-10C or the KA-50. Start up is simple. It's a very stable aircraft in the air. Weapons deployment isn't too bad, but maybe that's because the current version is missing a tpod, various modes, etc.

Let me not agree with your opinion. First of all I want to say, that before I switch to FA-18C I had a lot of hours, flying A-10C. I`ve been playing flying sims from 20+ years (from the times of Novalogic`s MiG-29 Fulcrum and Flanker 2).

And now: Hornet is easiest compared to A-10 and KA-50 based on what? I dont agree....

It is stabble in the air, yes, but its because it has two powerful engines and maybe because it has ATC and auto-trim.

But in other hand...how many systems you have to learn in A-10? Its has only AG capabilities and far, far less systems and weapons than Hornet. In FA-18 you need to learn:

- AA with 9x, using JHCMS, 120 series, ACM, VISUAL mode, LTWS,TWS...and a lot, lot more AA modes + all radar AA modes;

- AG mode - dumb bombs, LGBs, Mavericks, JDAMs, JSOW, and a dozen AG radar modes;

- SEAD with HARM with all 3 modes;

- Antiship tasks with Harpoon and all its modes;

- carrier landings in CASE I, II and III;

- and, and....

I miss somethings for sure but as you can see...Hornet is much more compexive aircraft compared than any other and you need to know everything to be good with it. Its not only ground attack like A-10 or Ka-50. It can do everything.

Edited by DeathAngel1

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

Let me not agree with your opinion. First of all I want to say, that before I switch to FA-18C I had a lot of hours, flying A-10C. I`ve been playing flying sims from 20+ years (from the times of Novalogic`s MiG-29 Fulcrum and Flanker 2).

And now: Hornet is easiest compared to A-10 and KA-50 based on what? I dont agree....

It is stabble in the air, yes, but its because it has two powerful engines and maybe because it has ATC and auto-trim.

But in other hand...how many systems you have to learn in A-10? Its has only AG capabilities and far, far less systems and weapons than Hornet. In FA-18 you need to learn:

- AA with 9x, using JHCMS, 120 series, ACM, VISUAL mode, LTWS,TWS...and a lot, lot more AA modes + all radar AA modes;

- AG mode - dumb bombs, LGBs, Mavericks, JDAMs, JSOW, and a dozen AG radar modes;

- and, and....

I miss somethings for sure but as you can see...Hornet is much more compexive aircraft compared than any other and you need to know everything to be good with it. Its not only ground attack like A-10 or Ka-50. It can do everything.

Basicly all you listed is mainly all multi-role birds, so if anyone can't go on with the Hornet, forget about upcoming F-16, F15, F-14. It's all relatively simple when you're willing to put the time in it, if someone is to leasy or is not interested to go on and have a small amount of time to watch movies/tutorials, read forums, well yeah it's all hard and should only stick to games like Arma, but that's my opinion. So to get back to OP, as in a few post above he said « Great, so it's impossible >_<» seems like he wants to hop in something, watch no movies, read nothing and just fly as is, so basicly anything out of FC3 for him, might be a challenge, either A-10 or F-18. But the Hornet for someone willing to lean stuff, it's pretty much easy, just need to be willing for it. But again, once you put your heart at it once, you can find yourself back in any other birds you get into, or almost as there is lots of similar stuff.

- and, and....

Probably should have read the OP before going to the effort of writing that.

Basics are fairly simple. The plane practically flies itself and is easy to takeoff, fly, and land. The fly-by-wire makes departures almost uneventful as well, as it's very capable of recovering for you, even if you do somehow get it into such a state. Basic A/A and A/G you should be able to pick up without too much trouble.

A lot of the more advanced features are not really required for basic operation. Once you're in flight, you can flip the master arm on, select bypass on the countermeasure dispenser, select your AMRAAMs, Attack Radar, and make sure your TDC is mapped and you're basically good to go hunting. You can then learn the other systems one by one at your own pace, and there's a wealth of content for this, like the massive manual in the forum or Wags' videos.

No real option on trialing that I'm aware of, but Wags videos and others will give you a very good idea of how the Hornet flies, as well as explain how everything works. By no means though do you need to know everything about the Hornet to fly one.

I respect your opinion, but the BEST module available is A-10C. Far better.

only if you happen to like a very role specific aircraft (CAS). Its apples vs Oranges.

However the F18 to date is by far the most versatile modern aircraft

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Check out my videos and let me know what you would like to learn and I’ll make a video about it. This, for me is a learning experience in itself and I try to make my videos as basic as possible so everyone can follow along easily.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSlhBpxhdTgzGMq29y0ncDQ?view_as=subscriber

Edited by Akula
  • MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

It kind of depends on you definition of "the basics"; but taking off, level flight, basic BFM and AFM pretty straight forward. Carrier landings will take some time and practice as will A2A refuelling, and then each weapon system you want to use will take some time depending on its complexity to get the basics in play. One of the benefits of early access is that it is "system incomplete" which means that you get new systems at a rate that means you dont feel, completely, overwhelmed. But you can have fun in it pretty quickly...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

You can get to do fox two within visual range very quickly.

Though - if you're only interested in learning the basics why would you go with the hornet? It's a very modern multirole jet with tons of meticulously modelled systems. You'd expect to spend a long long time learning the aircraft and gradually adding more and more functions to your repertoaire.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

It will take some time but at the end you will have a rewarding feeling inside you. It's a matter of discipline to learn. Don't try to learn the whole thing at the same time. This is a golden rule. After that try to find your way.

My own "tactic":

Learn how to start your plane

Learn how to take off, fly and land

Learn how to navigate

Learn how to not be killed by your enemy

Learn how to kill your enemy

Above all Enjoy it:smartass:

I wanted to add my opinion for the OP.

I started flying in DCS not that long ago. I've had experience with aviation in the real world (with glider planes) and been flying aims like fsx and xplane for years. So I didn't have to learn about the aerodynamics, or call it physics of flying.

But DCS is the most advanced Sim regarding the system depth I've ever seen.

But I think the hornet is a pretty easy to learn plane. It doesn't have a million switches and all systems there are now are pretty well designed and self explanatory most of the time. And a big bonus is: ED adds systems consecutively so you can learn one thing after another.

DON'T make the mistake and buy fc3 aircraft. They are fun to fly, but learning the systems and employ the whole plane the right way is a pain because you need to learn keybindings that make no sense. It's far easier to have logically positioned switches in the pit. And the hornet does this very well.

There are other planes, if you want a/g only, go for the A10... The Harrier is very interesting because of its flying characteristics, but mostly a faster A10 with a little more A/A capabilities.

The hornet in my opinion is the most multi role aircraft there is in dcs. It can do A/A and A/G very well, can go fast and slow, land on a ship.... What can't it do? ;)

And for all that it can do, it's very easy to learn how to use it.

Of course you need some motivation to learn it, its is not an arcade game, but since you are interested enough to be here, that should be good ;)

^This. Hornet is ridiculously easy to fly and land. You can light er up with one button. If the question is, what's the entry barrier, how long will it take before I can start zipping around... the answer is low, and about 30 seconds.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder