SU33 Autopilot not working

Ernst

Hello , [1] I was very happy with the SU33 in FCS3 to be able to make carrierdeck landings. Great fun.Now I found out that during normal flying the autopilot is not working in Flight mode Game Play! The blue mode lights are on but the aircraft is oscilating vertically and horizontically the aircraft never comes in a stableflight.For some reason the autopilot is working perfect in the other mode Avionics Game play. Why? [2] The airbrakes light is not working. [3] Why is the ILS from Batumi Rwy 13 not showing during landing[NOC]? [4] The aicraft carrier was ordered 32kts in the editor but if you select the carrier in the mission you can see her speed dropping down to 11kts? [5]In flightmode you can take much more load for TO than in avionics mode. [6] When using U for raising the blast fence in both modes you sometimes see your SU33 explode!Hopefully there is an correcting update very soon.

Edited by Ernst

Since I never use either game mode and don't know the distinction between them, I can't answer the first question about why the AP works in one but not the other.

The airbrake light in the actual aircraft supposedly is nonfunctional. But there's a movement afoot to get that changed in the sim.

There are two ILS systems in the sim--NATO and the Russian PRGM. There are only 6 runways in the sim that use the Russian system: PRGM Runways in the SIM. Neither of Batumi's runways is one of them. EDIT: The Russian airframes are only equiped with the PRGM system.:EDIT ENDS

Don't have answers for the remaining questions. Haven't notice any issues with the carrier's speed. But if it's part of a group it will only travel as fast as the slowest ship in the group.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks Ironhand for your reaction and the info about the airbrake light also the ils link was usefull .I also flew only flight mode until now but because the autopilot did not work properly I tried Avionics mode and there it was working fine.The speed of the aicraft carrier was created in the editor 32kts [max] but in the mission you see the carrier [The only ship] speed dropping down to 11kts!

Edited by Ernst

...I also flew only flight mode until now but because the autopilot did not work properly I tried Avionics mode and there it was working fine...

I checked the DCS manual and "flight mode" uses a very simplified flight model. That may be the reason the AP doesn't work properly. It doesn't have the controls it needs. The "avionics mode" uses a more accurate flight model but simplifies the avionics.

But these are both "game" modes. Why not leave both unchecked and use the full simulator? If either is check marked, you're missing important elements of the simulation.

The speed of the aicraft carrier was created in the editor 32kts [max] but in the mission you see the carrier [The only ship] speed dropping down to 11kts!

Can you attach the mission file and upload it? This is something I haven't seen myself.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I checked the DCS manual and "flight mode" uses a very simplified flight model. That may be the reason the AP doesn't work properly. It doesn't have the controls it needs. The "avionics mode" uses a more accurate flight model but simplifies the avionics.

But these are both "game" modes. Why not leave both unchecked and use the full simulator? If either is check marked, you're missing important elements of the simulation.

Can you attach the mission file and upload it? This is something I haven't seen myself.

Hi IRONHAND I send you some screenshots so that you can see that the aircarrier is loosing her speed from 32kts to 11kts in 1min and 16 sec.!

Screen_171018_190634.thumb.jpg.4fcf1157159916d834e342ce7c1a99fc.jpg

Screen_171018_191012.thumb.jpg.499135ba0ee17808f7313571e8b07f02.jpg

Hi IRONHAND I send you some screenshots so that you can see that the aircarrier is loosing her speed from 32kts to 11kts in 1min and 16 sec.!

Oh, I don't doubt that it's happening to you. But it's not something I've seen in my missions. So I'd like to have a copy of your mission (if possible) in order to run it. It would help to pinpoint the issue.

_____

FWIW, I just ran several trials for the Kuz at different speeds using simulation game-flight, game-avioics, and game-flight & avionics. In all cases, the Kuz's speed was what it should be with no deviation over time. So I think there might be something quirky in your mission.

_____

Hi IRONHAND I send you some screenshots so that you can see that the air carrier is loosing her speed from 32kts to 11kts in 1min and 16 sec.!

I think what is wrong, you have set the initial speed of carrier at 32kts (29kts or 59kmh is max speed of real ship), but your next waypoint is still set to the default of (10kts or 20kmh), so the ship is just slowing down to meet that next waypoint speed.

Cheers, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

I think what is wrong, you have set the initial speed of carrier at 32kts (29kts or 59kmh is max speed of real ship), but your next waypoint is still set to the default of (10kts or 20kmh), so the ship is just slowing down to meet that next waypoint speed.

Cheers, Ian.

Ian, I think you have a calculation error in that 32 knots is 59 km/h. But the subsequent WP being just 11 knots is the simplest answer to the problem. I was looking for an issue, when there might not be one. Now we just have to wait for Ernst to check.

_____

Thanks. Opened the mission in the Editor and saw that, while the initial WP was set to 32 kts, the next and sebsequent ones were set to 11 kts. The final WP was 20.

So I did the obvious and changed all WPs to 32 kts and...

Here it gets interesting. The carrier still slows but only to 29 kts (53 km/h). I created a new mission with the carrier set to its top speed in the Editor to 32 kts (59 km/h) across all WPs and was surprised to see it slow to 29 kts. So something has changed and the top speed is now slower than it had been and, also, what you are still allowed to set in the Editor.

_____

Thanks. Opened the mission in the Editor and saw that, while the initial WP was set to 32 kts, the next and sebsequent ones were set to 11 kts. The final WP was 20.

So I did the obvious and changed all WPs to 32 kts and...

Here it gets interesting. The carrier still slows but only to 29 kts (53 km/h). I created a new mission with the carrier set to its top speed in the Editor to 32 kts (59 km/h) across all WPs and was surprised to see it slow to 29 kts. So something has changed and the top speed is now slower than it had been and, also, what you are still allowed to set in the Editor.

Isn't 29kts not the official top speed of the Kuznetsov? But interesting that the ME allows a higher value. I assume headwind is not taken into account...

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Isn't 29kts not the official top speed of the Kuznetsov? But interesting that the ME allows a higher value. I assume headwind is not taken into account...

I normally use metric in the Editor. So I'm used to seeing values in km/hr. I just translate to Imperial, when someone in the thread seems to prefer it. 59 km/h is the top speed allowed in the Editor. That converts to 31.86 (32) knots. If I set the WPs all to 59 km/h, the carrier starts at 59 km/h and immediately slows to 53 km/hr. 53 km/h converts to 28.62 (29) kts.

EDIT: Just checked online and 53/54 km/hr is said to be her actual top speed. So I guess there just needs to be a change made to the Editor.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Hello, I use full simulator now [Game flight mode and Game avionics mode NOT! marked ON ] autopilot is working! The idea from MadDog-IC was wright the Nr 1 Waypoint was indeed 11Kts for the Kuz [ 280 NM away !],now the Kuz is on max speed 29Kts. With this speed you blowing Up your Su33 every time you raise the blast fence[key U].So i reduced the speed to 22Kts ! The Max T/O weight from Pos 1 is 63500 Lbs.From Pos 3 72000Lbs.I want to Thank You Both for helping me with this problem!

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Autopilot - When in LANDING mode and with auto-throttle engaged the aircraft won't settle on the glideslope and will oscillate in pitch.

With manual throttle control the oscillation is not as pronounced (as long as you're exact) but the AP is still prone to excessive pitch corrections.

Edited by Lixma 06

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
why autopilot not working on game flight mode?it is useful mode to make player concentrate on situational awareness and combat, not trim trim trim!!!

Autopilot is for cruising. It is unwise to use it during combat. During A2A trimming is not that important too but to precisely deliver A2G ordnance and guns trim is indeed helpful.

I have not tested game flight mode myself but what function of autopilot you want to use? Waypoint following or just alt/att hold?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Auto pilot: auto landing mode of the Su-33 is bug !

A little more explanation what you're doing and what the autopilot does would be helpful...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

If you want to use the autopilot to land, you need to do it using LAlt+6 only. There should only be two lights illuminated on the AP panel. Select LAlt+6 after the IAF and control your descent rate with the throttle. If you also have "A" selected so that there's a third light illuminated, you will have all sorts of issues as the AP flights itself at slow speeds.

_____