Biggest waste of money ever Rift S install issue

SmoglessPanic

Hello All,

I've spent 3 hours since spending $400 on the Rift S trying to install it, I've tried doing it to the D drive but I cannot get it to install. My C drive is dynamic and I do not want to spend hours tonight redoing Windows and downloading games, not to mention if I forget to back a document up I cannot get it back.

How can this issue not be fixed? How can you be expected to reformat after spending $400 on a product? It's maddening! I'm about to pull my hair out.

Does anyone know of another possible workaround other than trying to install to another drive that is basic? (my D drive is basic but it wont install)

Also, does this also happen with the HP Reverb or can the software be installed like a normal program?

I appreciate any thought/help.

Thanks!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::doh::doh::doh::mad::mad::mad:

Well from what I just read you can not install the rift software?? OK did you get an error installing it or a CTD of the PC??

A little more info would be most helpfull??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

The Rift S software says I do not have enough space even though I do, my SSD is dynamic, says I need a basic drive. I tried to install the software to D drive from using the run window workaround but didn't work.

Going on 5 hours now with it just sitting on my be just looking at me.

Redoing Windows seems so extreme, downloading and installing a bunch of games and programs isn't how I want to spend my night, also if I forget to backup and lose something then I am screwed, not to mention I never moved DCS keys before.

This seems so extreme for something I paid $400 for, I can't believe that in all my research I didn't come across this issue, it's a major issue.

Sorry for not being more specific in the first post, thought I got everything in there.

Edited by SmoglessPanic

I submitted a ticket but they say it will take two business days for them to get back to me. I also checked all over forum there are a couple of workarounds but other than that not much information.

I guess I'm just going to have to return it tomorrow.

Update:

Support actually got back to me, lets see what they say.

Edited by SmoglessPanic

Well as always with this new tech expect teething issues.. I would say have a little more patience but if you really want to return it and get something else no saying you will not run into other issues..

I am unsure what you mean by a dynamic disk or basic drive? are you can you list your system specs and all ?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

For info Microsoft don't recommend using dynamic disks:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-dynamic-disk-back-to-a-basic-disk

"Dynamic disks have been deprecated from Windows and we don't recommend using them anymore."

However, you should be able to install onto your d drive using the following instructions:

https://support.oculus.com/1142129705828091/

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Probably worth asking this on the Oculus forums.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I had to redo my computer, I originally upgraded from Windows 8.1 and perhaps that's where the dynamic drive was configured.

I normally redo my computer at least once a year but I ended up having so much stuff I was a afraid to lose (like Office) that I didn't do it for a long time. After reinstalling Windows the installation kicked off without a problem.

Oculus support was pretty incredible they tried everything, I would like to thank all of you guys that made suggestions and do apologize for my original post 8 hours of trying to get something to work can take it's toll.

I am downloading DCS and a couple of other games so I will be back in the skies in a few hours but in VR!

Have fun flying, I am sure you will enjoy it!

I recently bit the bullet and reinstalled Windows after years of accumulating all sorts of utilities which I don't miss. Far less painful than I expected and nice and clean now!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

A fresh install of Win10 does wonders to fix all sorts of problems. It's worth it.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I completely agree, once it was done it was far less painful than I anticipated. I honestly haven't restored most of my "crap" from my external drive.

As for VR I can't wait until I can upgrade my video card in a month or so and add more RAM, I love it and I will never go back to TrackIR...EVER...lol.

All the hassle and pain was very, very worth it even with my outdated system.

i7 6700K

16 GB RAM

980TI

I'm not sure which video card to get, thinking of a RTX 2080 Super for now and a 2080TI next year. I'm just now sure what works better for DCS, some people swear by the 1080TI but since it's older technology I'm not so sure it's worth an investment at this point in time.

I completely agree, once it was done it was far less painful than I anticipated. I honestly haven't restored most of my "crap" from my external drive.

As for VR I can't wait until I can upgrade my video card in a month or so and add more RAM, I love it and I will never go back to TrackIR...EVER...lol.

All the hassle and pain was very, very worth it even with my outdated system.

i7 6700K

16 GB RAM

980TI

I'm not sure which video card to get, thinking of a RTX 2080 Super for now and a 2080TI next year. I'm just now sure what works better for DCS, some people swear by the 1080TI but since it's older technology I'm not so sure it's worth an investment at this point in time.

Just an fyi I have a 1080 Ti listed for sale in PC Hardware section.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes , and it's a very good deal for an FTW3 as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I can't seem to find it, I would like to take a look, would you be able to post a link to that section of the forum?

Thanks

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252108

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|