EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8

tobi

Hi, as far as I can see I have.

I'll have to double check tonight. That was one of the reasons I tried exporting only the cube, to see if it was the armature that was giving me issues. (since our pilot model is full of the damn things).

I've attached a video just to show a little progress. I wanted to see how easy it was to import our own cockpit, so I borrowed the edge's one. Sounds I grabbed from youtube.)

Hi, as far as I can see I have.

I'll have to double check tonight. That was one of the reasons I tried exporting only the cube, to see if it was the armature that was giving me issues. (since our pilot model is full of the damn things).

I've attached a video just to show a little progress. I wanted to see how easy it was to import our own cockpit, so I borrowed the edge's one. Sounds I grabbed from youtube.)

Hey that is strange. Exporting without an armature should not work at all. You should at least get an Error "Use one and only one armature! Not writing."

Hey that is strange. Exporting without an armature should not work at all. You should at least get an Error "Use one and only one armature! Not writing."

To clarify, when I tried exporting the cube, I did attach an armature.

To clarify, when I tried exporting the cube, I did attach an armature.

Ok could you send me the cube model? I would like to take at look at that

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share a quick practice model. Still learning how to use 2.82, as it different to 2.78.

attachment.php?attachmentid=240879&stc=1&d=1593001804

attachment.php?attachmentid=240880&stc=1&d=1593001804

Complete time lapse of the build here

Capture.thumb.PNG.20503fe913db4d187349cb54c75375bf.PNG

Screen_200623_202044.png.3bc3f1a74eb7da801ad9d2f68afd4b6a.png

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

I got a problem: I download the .zip file and installed it in Blender, it even says that it installed that addon, BUT it does not show up in the addon list and I can't export anything to EDM. Anyone got an idea why ?

Hi DieSaureGurke,

If you did follow the installation steps shown in this video:

And it does not work for you... Then I am sorry but I do not know what can cause the issue you are having.

Do you use Blender 2.8?

Hi DieSaureGurke,

If you did follow the installation steps shown in this video:

And it does not work for you... Then I am sorry but I do not know what can cause the issue you are having.

Do you use Blender 2.8?

It work's now, I've reinstalled Blender ^^ Now I need to figure out why my object is not showing up in the model viewer but I guess that's because I made a mistake somewhere (1st time using Blender :) )

Last night tried the same process as Fireblaze(DoctorStrop) explain here;

with 2.83 and it works too.

At the splash screen when you first install it it gives you the option for version 2.7 or at the preference on system you can do that too

Don't know why the quote appears like this; take care guys.

BTW great videos guys (Grajo and DoctorStrop)

Edited by Sarabi

It work's now, I've reinstalled Blender ^^ Now I need to figure out why my object is not showing up in the model viewer but I guess that's because I made a mistake somewhere (1st time using Blender :) )

It is a step forward non the less :]

Maybe the node type in the EDM tab was not: RenderNode, or maybe you did not triangulate your model with (triangulate modifier), the best way to get rid of "incorrect mesh model" problems.

These are the most common "mistakes" that new users are having trouble with. Plus forgetting to create an armature and parenting the model to it.

Last night tried the same process as Fireblaze(DoctorStrop) explain here;

with 2.83 and it works too.

At the splash screen when you first install it it gives you the option for version 2.7 or at the preference on system you can do that too

Don't know why the quote appears like this; take care guys.

BTW great videos guys (Grajo and DoctorStrop)

Happy if you found any of the content related to the Addon useful :].

It has been tested also with the latest 2.83, as you point out, and no problems so far, so sticking to this version by now could be a good idea as it is gonna be a long term support version by Blender Foundation. :smilewink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

i just released a new version.

https://github.com/tobi-be/BlenderEdmExporter/releases

There was a little bug about the boundingbox calculation. I also added a possibility to set the bounding box manually. Also a first test of a animatable Material parameter is included.

Please see the readme for details and the how to!

Right now i am reworking the materials. The plan is to add more animated material parameters and the use of a EDM Material-Node which also allows a good preview of the material in Blender. Thx Grajo for your Shader Prototype!

To bridge the time until the next release you can post pictures of your models here. Suggestions for missing features are also very welcome!

Thanks for your work on the add-on, the EDM material node will be a good feature to have.

I have a request for an addition, to be able to set a RenderType for curve objects.

I am using paths to model hydraulic hoses and converting them into mesh objects right before exporting to .edm (See attached image). As a path is not possible to set the RenderType and when it gets converted to an object the RenderType is set to “None” by default. It must be then manually set to “RenderNode”.

It would be nice to be able to set a RenderType for each path as they are created instead of having to do it for all the paths all at once after they get converted.

PathRenderType.thumb.png.c90ebb1a506375a1af64a03963572c3f.png

Hi all, just tried the new version(update) that tobi did on the D'Assault Mystere lVA, just repeat what Fireblaze(DoctorStrop) again did but I get this error; on the last image I have all quads before I export it, so what I did wrong? don't know but for get it to show on ModelViewer2 I have to apply the Triangulate modifier, maybe was the problem or, do I have to fill all the faces when exported in quads.

Thanks and take care all.

DM_6_0.thumb.png.0cccab2a011029219a66498b7a9e04c1.png

DM_6_1.thumb.png.820244d853db1031de9046a74b8c9ba9.png

DM_6_2.thumb.png.0f9c1f74270df9cfbfcf06cfd00aa556.png

DM_6_3.thumb.png.b2abfa6eeb8c427d3d8e7a06bccb13b3.png

Thanks for your work on the add-on, the EDM material node will be a good feature to have.

I have a request for an addition, to be able to set a RenderType for curve objects.

I am using paths to model hydraulic hoses and converting them into mesh objects right before exporting to .edm (See attached image). As a path is not possible to set the RenderType and when it gets converted to an object the RenderType is set to “None” by default. It must be then manually set to “RenderNode”.

It would be nice to be able to set a RenderType for each path as they are created instead of having to do it for all the paths all at once after they get converted.

Hi Etten,

you're welcome. Thank you for your request. It sounds as it would be good for an easier workflow. I will check that!

Hi all, just tried the new version(update) that tobi did on the D'Assault Mystere lVA, just repeat what Fireblaze(DoctorStrop) again did but I get this error; on the last image I have all quads before I export it, so what I did wrong? don't know but for get it to show on ModelViewer2 I have to apply the Triangulate modifier, maybe was the problem or, do I have to fill all the faces when exported in quads.

Hi Sarabi,

Normally, if all your polygons are quads (4 vertex per polygon) you should not experience any problem, as mesh will be triangulated when is exported by the addon.

You might have Ngons (polygons with more than 4 vertex) best practice is to apply Triangulate modifier before exporting to get rid of them.

It would be interesting that this modifier is applied during the exporting process, so the mesh stays in quads in Blender and you do not have to Undo before saving to preserve your quads.

"TO DO" list is very long, this one, like many other "issues", can be worked around by the user and "by now" we won't focus on them, as we prefer, at the moment, to add new features until is "fully functional", then, this kind of "usability" improvements will come.

Best

Hi Sarabi,

did you try to select all face with more then 4 vertices? There is a tool in Edit mode: Select->select All by trait->Faces by Side. Then you have to change Type to greater then. This way you can easily check if there are any hidden ngons in your object.

Hi tobi and sorry for late reply, yes and even the all by trait, so what I did was delete all modifiers assign to the fuselage and assign the same again and worked, maybe the issue was that I modeled the D'Assault Mystere IVA using Blender 2.79 and when open it with 2.83 got the problem (again maybe), again thanks for the help and apologies for late reply, I don't make promise that I will make a mod specially now that Syria map is coming 'cause this aircraft will fit very well since the Six Day War was in that region, but let see and try my best.

Best regards.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey all,

i just released a new version.

https://github.com/tobi-be/BlenderEdmExporter/releases

There was a little bug about the boundingbox calculation. I also added a possibility to set the bounding box manually. Also a first test of a animatable Material parameter is included.

Please see the readme for details and the how to!

Right now i am reworking the materials. The plan is to add more animated material parameters and the use of a EDM Material-Node which also allows a good preview of the material in Blender. Thx Grajo for your Shader Prototype!

To bridge the time until the next release you can post pictures of your models here. Suggestions for missing features are also very welcome!

Thanks for your excellent work tobi, the ability to manually edit the boundingbox appears to be quite essential.