NEWB Warning: RCAF F-18 Snowbird Skin

TBo69

Hello all,

Newbie to skinning here. Attempting my second one (my first one is here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309965/). After the recent Snowbird crash (RIP Capt. Jennifer Casey) in my Province I started working on a Snowbird skin for the F-18. Its my guess that the Tutors will be replaced with the RCAF's old Hornets as they move to whatever they pick next. Whether they can stay a 9-ship formation of they move to the Hornets is another question. Either way I wanted to attempt a Snowbird inspired skin for this bird.

Its far from done.

This seems to be a pain staking process. Specifically, what is the easiest way to cross-reference the 3D surfaces to the 2D DDS surface? I've been trial and error'ing it. Very tedious. Place different colors/symbols all over, render to DDS, refresh in the model viewer. Look for symbol/color I'm interested in. This is super difficult for the very small surfaces.

Anyway, hope you like it so far! DCS Rocks!

T-Bo

Side.thumb.jpg.f7a4ebb8020132a8378c817e22636d86.jpg

Top.thumb.jpg.26fa8a3add186d55670e9f131a2f1c00.jpg

Bottom.thumb.jpg.48af59d4ee56ba60553140aa8fa711f2.jpg

Side2.thumb.jpg.4f14b3850e4a6b9f5ca5611a57f8a275.jpg

Side3.thumb.jpg.24222551533ea028e406292a16b9c918.jpg

Edited by TBo69

ASUS Strix Z490-E, i7-10700K, Corsair Vengeance 32GB Ram 3200MHz, ASUS Strix RTX3080, Corsair 465X case

32" 4K, TM Warthog Stick/Throttle, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Winwing Combat and Takeoff panels, Rift S, Tobii Eye Tracker 5

If you're specifically looking for an overlay to help you, this one has been shared here before and can be pretty useful. http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO101_Tom/Panel_Finder_by_Tom_2_2048x2048.jpg

It really takes a couple liveries to get a good feel for where each part of the model is on the texture sheet, but it often still is particularly tricky when you're trying to change large areas of the skin to another color or align things across texture seams.

Good first effort, but you should remove the color you have over the internal parts on the skin.

You mean the Red in the bubble? or inside the landing gear/air brake?

I kinda like it Red. Reminds me of the red leather seats in the Tutors.

ASUS Strix Z490-E, i7-10700K, Corsair Vengeance 32GB Ram 3200MHz, ASUS Strix RTX3080, Corsair 465X case

32" 4K, TM Warthog Stick/Throttle, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Winwing Combat and Takeoff panels, Rift S, Tobii Eye Tracker 5

If you're specifically looking for an overlay to help you, this one has been shared here before and can be pretty useful. http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO101_Tom/Panel_Finder_by_Tom_2_2048x2048.jpg

It really takes a couple liveries to get a good feel for where each part of the model is on the texture sheet, but it often still is particularly tricky when you're trying to change large areas of the skin to another color or align things across texture seams.

Thats a good idea! You lay this down as the main colors, Then you use the model viewer, take a screenshot, then sample the color for the right hex code?

Thats a good idea! You lay this down as the main colors, Then you use the model viewer, take a screenshot, then sample the color for the right hex code?

Assuming that the part of the texture you're looking for is big enough, you can look at the name of the cell on the overlay and find that same one on the texture sheet.

You mean the Red in the bubble? or inside the landing gear/air brake?

I kinda like it Red. Reminds me of the red leather seats in the Tutors.

I was more referring to the white you have over the engines and other parts.

The panel finder that mu110 linked to is used as an overlay on your skin -a layer that you can use to find things that are on the 3D model and transpose them to the 2D skin. Basically you save it as a skin file, load up the viewer, look for the specific part you want to change, then overlay the image as a layer over your skin. Find pink panel 54dg on the model, find 54dg in the overlay and boom that's where you need to paint.

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

Ah yes. Who paints the inside of the engine nozzles :doh:

Thanks for your help!

I was more referring to the white you have over the engines and other parts.

The panel finder that mu110 linked to is used as an overlay on your skin -a layer that you can use to find things that are on the 3D model and transpose them to the 2D skin. Basically you save it as a skin file, load up the viewer, look for the specific part you want to change, then overlay the image as a layer over your skin. Find pink panel 54dg on the model, find 54dg in the overlay and boom that's where you need to paint.