Viggen Landing Question

Ski

Hello, first post wohoo!

I got 2 questions about landing :pilotfly:, I've not been able to find answers for.. or make work.

1) As the alternative airport (L2 ? ) is not a waypoint and not listed on my kneeboard, how do I find its QFE? Im hoping I dont have to perform the mathematical equation as the location is already programmed into the computer ?

2) In this example the single player campaign, ATC gives me vectors to land from north (01) but landing NAV mode (TILS) guides me to land from the south (18 ?). Is there any way to program the computer, to land from the other side of the runway ? :helpsmilie:

Thank you

Hey

1) You can, but there's no "Built in" function for this. You have to go about it in other ways. I do believe (can't quite remember) that ATC does give you QFE for the airport when you contact them - that would help...

2) See my reply here; it contains the info you're looking for. In short: you can, but the way TILS is implemented will give you errors.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3449342#post3449342

Edited by Quip

Thank you for this.

You are correct the ATC does read out QFE, but for some reason they say something like QFE 29.55 but knee board shows it as e.g. 1013.8. Does the 29.55 need converting somehow?

Thank you for this.

You are correct the ATC does read out QFE, but for some reason they say something like QFE 29.55 but knee board shows it as e.g. 1013.8. Does the 29.55 need converting somehow?

Yes, it's a different format/unit that is used by other aircraft. I don't know how to convert it though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thank you for this.

1 hpa is 33.863886666667 inHg.

So 29.55 x 33.9 gives you the value in SI (for the Viggen).

Simply multiply by 3 and add 1/10th and 1/10th again after adding a zero:

30 x 3 = 90

90 + 9 = 99

990 + 9 = 999

The exact value above is 1000.68

The difference is 1 hpa, which is approximatively the equivalent of 10 m error at sea level (at standard pressure and sea level, the pressure decreases approximatively by 12 hpa per 100 m).

Using this method you end up in the near 100 m.

Edited by Quip