The Viggen Pitch Trim is Ridiculous

sawacs

Thanks..

I could hold the trim switch down for 30 days and the pitch trim would not work. At one point, I zoomed in to the pitch trim gauge and watched it for 2 min while holding the switch and nothing:joystick:

I can assure you guys that the pitch trim isn't slow..... it just doesn't work

Lastly, I went ahead and put in for a refund on the Viggen: problem solved sorta:huh:

As far as I know, digital purchases on the ED store cannot be refunded. How did you manage to ask for a refund? Is it possible to refund this module?

Yes please! I was able to replicate it on my machine at one time but never again. I think it is sufficient with the small piece above, cause it looks like the “held” event is dropped somehow. IIRC I read somewhere a similar issue in the Mirage.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I'm not sure if I had this issue some days ago, but I have another one that probably made my think I had this one.

The FFB spring is reversed, at least on my FFB2 and pitch axis. Didn't look into roll actually since it's centered most of the time anyway. So when I trim nose up for TO, my stick goes forward, kinda countering the trim. If I hadn't a 25 curve on my stick setup, it'd probably completely zero out the trim effect. I just remember I had it trimmed almost completely nose up for landing and was unable to trim it back forward later when sitting on the ground, everything still up and running. Probably just tried to trim the stick intuitively which means due to the "bug" (I hope it's not a feature) I encounter. Basically I tried to trim further up since the stick was facing forward as if it was trimmed nose down instead.

By the way, just another general issue in all DCS here: Having a curve != 0 (= anything not linear) makes the trim out of sync with FFB if not completely centered. ED should rework this somehow. It's hard to fly decently without curves and without extending the stick. Too bad there are no more recent FFB sticks out there except for the G940 which could have been better. Too bad Logitech and Microsoft are the only ones having patents on FFB resp. iForce, and they're just sitting on them. There could be a bigger market thanks to the recent space sim renaissance, but both Frontier and RSI refuse to implement FFB due to the lack of hardware on the market. So who's first? The hen or the egg?

There's nothing more that I want than a full fledged FFB setup. A nice stick like the WH, pedals with FFB as well and of course a dual throttle also with FFB to simulate friction and, more importantly, detents. The latter especially for the Viggen...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Here is a video of me being able to use the trim system just fine in the Viggen, I have no idea what is wrong with yours.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkM9gdt9qWc&feature=youtu.be)

Here are pictures also showing that this is functional and working.

6i1gMRm0QMiw88Az5Syj4g.png

UCq7MFmzSjib57bb5b_hog.png

Thanks..

I am not sure if you missed it but the pitch trim works just fine if I start in the air or on the runway with the engines already running. If I land, turn the engines off and perform an engine restart, the pitch trim no longer functions. Also, when performing a cold start, the pitch trim does not work.

The pitch trim indicator moves just like yours unless I perform a cold start or a restart after landing.

Lastly, I am using a TM Warthog setup.

Cheers

"When they passed out brains you thought they said trains and you missed both!"

I don't have this problem, my pitch trim works every time(Single Player, usually don't fly MP) if i do cold/hot or air start, and also after i land, shut down the plane and restart. What i can confirm is that the trim speed depends on your FPS, low FPS and it takes a long time to get to the desired point, high FPS and it runs quickly to your desired trim point. I use a TM Warthog, the trim hat.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I don't have this problem, my pitch trim works every time(Single Player, usually don't fly MP) if i do cold/hot or air start, and also after i land, shut down the plane and restart. What i can confirm is that the trim speed depends on your FPS, low FPS and it takes a long time to get to the desired point, high FPS and it runs quickly to your desired trim point. I use a TM Warthog, the trim hat.

Looking back you may be right that is tied to fps. I recall very slow trim in VR at about 45fps and below. I literally had to hold trim up on my way taxing to the runway and during takeoff roll. When I disabled VR and the fps shot through 110+, the trim was crisp, even coarse I felt. Maybe the trim mechanism was implemented as a function of frame rate. In that case, it REALLY has to be updated.

I believe I've found the problem and implemented a fix.

Never had problems with that specific issue, but it is good news you take care about it. :thumbup:

Slowly we get rid of imperfections, and that is good!

Carry on please with the work on the Viggen, it is worth all efforts. :joystick:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Very nice. :thumbup: Also i was not affected, just had the slow trim with low FPS.

All we need now is a patch with all the fixed stuff you have in your Dev-build. :joystick:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

That's great to hear as the current implementation isn't really working for me :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Great news and thank you! I would definitely enjoy having the ability to perform a cold start and use the pitch trim:beer:

• 2 weeks later...

The pitch trim is working now.

The trim started working after I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and re-installed DCS from scratch.

Zabuza, I am not sure if what I did fixed it or not but for whatever reason the trim is working and I am very happy!

I did fly the Viggen in DCS 2.5.1 Beta so I should probably load of the standard 2.5 and see if the trim is broken in that version.

Cheers!

Update: I went back into 2.5.1 and the trim is not functioning again:mad:

Edited by sawacs

Sure that was the reason? Because in the last few days ED pushed the update where the fix was contained...

See the update log (2.5.1 last section): https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181548

• Corrected excessively slow trimming reported by some users.

I just went back into both 2.5.0 and 2.5.1 Beta and the pitch trim does not function on either one of them from a cold start.

Amazingly enough, when DCS 2.5.1 was first installed, the pitch trim worked as it should from a cold start. When the trim initially functioned, it was by no means slow like some have reported but moved along just fine. However, after changing video driver settings/game video settings, the trim no longer functions.

Are you sure you’ve set-up your controls correctly? Maybe try using the keyboard-controls or deleting the input-settings in your saved-games folder. Also, make sure you don’t touch the emergency trim controls as this will block the normal trim.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

from my view the trim is working now ... or working much faster

i used to trim the machine on the taxiway ... by holding the trim ...

on my last start of the viggen the trim was set way further up than usual, which lead to a hard climb on startup - without doing anything ...

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

Seems fine to me.

I've been away from the Viggen for awhile so may have missed the issue altogether.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 2 weeks later...

I went in earlier and tried the pitch trim again and still nothing:joystick:

Again, I have made sure to check that the control sticks are set correctly in the control assignment screen and everything is set just fine and shows the correct button working when the pitch trim is moved up or down. I also tried out the default up and down trim assignments pertaining to the keyboard and those did not work either.

The pitch trim does work providing the engines are running when entering the mission. Anything from a cold startup does not work.