Just another sound mod

hubson

Hi pilots.

I have been playing with these files for quite some time now, never felt they are good enough for such decent but picky and demanding at times crowd which DCS community is. Latest improvements in the sim sound department however (DCS World 2.2) made my mod more useful so I compiled everything into one audio pack and decided to share. Its far from perfect of course but its fun.

What the thing does: it changes external and some internal audios, so the passing jets sound nicer (at least for me, you decide)

The F15 was main focus, I did not care for other airplanes but the mod affects them due to shared sounds.

Tested with FC3, DCS 2.2

This is small glimpse what it sounds in game:

Link:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3071256/

Edited by hubson
Version update

Sounds good. Maybe show some footage panning around the AC in F2 view?

That's how it sound like:

The idea of this was to try and make passing jet noise as real as it gets, the sacrifice had to be done in static F2 view, in which the constant flyby loop is heard. I would love ED to take under consideration this approach and improve it. The solution would be to allow the appropriate samples to play ones instead of the loop. For now it cant be controlled by sdef files .

How loud is this? Please say it's loud, please please please!

It is quite loud, the peak of the sound wave is deafening in real life. In the mod I tried to make it noisy but within reason . You can always play with sdef files and match levels to your liking.

Any issues with me adding this to my mod pack? Sounds awesome in the vids.

Yeah, go ahead and use it, just mention me somewhere..:smilewink:

It is quite loud, the peak of the sound wave is deafening in real life. In the mod I tried to make it noisy but within reason . You can always play with sdef files and match levels to your liking.

Yeah, go ahead and use it, just mention me somewhere..:smilewink:

You on TS or discord anywhere where we could have a chat? Would love to ask you how you did this.

Also, are these new sounds you added, specifically the Eagle sounds, shared with the Flanker?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out! Made some slight changes, but it sounds great! Do the Mirage next!

Edited by M0ltar

A heads up. I see this file referenced in the sdef, but do not see the actual sound effect. Did you forget it?

Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/F15FrontWeez

Edit: These sounds are also not present, but they are in the sdef files.

wave = {"Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoise F15ELaunch","Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoiseF18DvalleyniceEdit", "Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoise AggressorAA2loop", "Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoiseOther-kopia", "Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoiseSounds3"}

Edited by M0ltar

A heads up. I see this file referenced in the sdef, but do not see the actual sound effect. Did you forget it?

Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/F15FrontWeez

Edit: These sounds are also not present, but they are in the sdef files.

wave = {"Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoise F15ELaunch","Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoiseF18DvalleyniceEdit", "Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoise AggressorAA2loop", "Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoiseOther-kopia", "Effects/Aircrafts/Engines/PlaneFarNoiseSounds3"}

Looks like I uploaded prefinal version with some leftovers. The F15FrontWeez is missing indeed, thanks M0ltar! Don't mind the sdef PlaneFarNoise files, they have been renamed or did not make it to the final.

Please extract this .rar into F15 Audio Pack/sounds/Effects/Aircrafts/Engines

F15FrontWeez.rar

Good to hear. Easy to do uploading different versions.

Any way you'd want to help me make this louder, and I mean way louder, for my mod pack? I love the sounds, I just can't seem to get them balanced how I want them. If not no worries.

I'm on the Splash One Gaming discord if you ever want to chat about sound stuff.

Good to hear. Easy to do uploading different versions.

Any way you'd want to help me make this louder, and I mean way louder, for my mod pack? I love the sounds, I just can't seem to get them balanced how I want them. If not no worries.

I'm on the Splash One Gaming discord if you ever want to chat about sound stuff.

Of course I will help you. This is how the sounds in mod work:

See the sdef files. Most important are PlaneFurWind in Aircrafts folder and Distant_Jet_.... in Engines folder.

The latter were introduced by ED in latest DCS version and they define the sounds which are triggerd (they start playing ) during flight only. So, you can't hear them on the ground, taxing etc. After take off they increase in pitch and loudness.

From my testing, Distant_Jet_Afterburner sounds play for figter jets only and the other five (Distant_Jet_Back,Side,Front,Flyby_B and Flyby_S) play for slower jets ( Su-25, A-10)

In my mod, I made most of these sdef files to use my own samples. I provide also multiple files and set in sdef to play them randomly.

To make it louder:

PlaneFurWind sdef (it is the roar you hear the moment the plane passes you) : go there and set up "gain" higher than it is and test.

Distant_Jet_Afterburner_Side sdef: set it louder the same way and test. (these are the sounds of upcoming plane heard from a distance)

These two sdef wil make the biggest impact.

Remember about exit DCS for changes to take effect. If you have problem with it let me know , we'll arrange a chat.

Of course I will help you. This is how the sounds in mod work:

See the sdef files. Most important are PlaneFurWind in Aircrafts folder and Distant_Jet_.... in Engines folder.

The latter were introduced by ED in latest DCS version and they define the sounds which are triggerd (they start playing ) during flight only. So, you can't hear them on the ground, taxing etc. After take off they increase in pitch and loudness.

From my testing, Distant_Jet_Afterburner sounds play for figter jets only and the other five (Distant_Jet_Back,Side,Front,Flyby_B and Flyby_S) play for slower jets ( Su-25, A-10)

In my mod, I made most of these sdef files to use my own samples. I provide also multiple files and set in sdef to play them randomly.

To make it louder:

PlaneFurWind sdef (it is the roar you hear the moment the plane passes you) : go there and set up "gain" higher than it is and test.

Distant_Jet_Afterburner_Side sdef: set it louder the same way and test. (these are the sounds of upcoming plane heard from a distance)

These two sdef wil make the biggest impact.

Remember about exit DCS for changes to take effect. If you have problem with it let me know , we'll arrange a chat.

Thanks for the info!

Only PlaneFurWind sound I see is PlaneFurWindInR and L. Missing another file?

Thanks for the info!

Only PlaneFurWind sound I see is PlaneFurWindInR and L. Missing another file?

Nope. PlaneFurWind sdef file. You'll find it in sounds/sdef/Aircrafts folder. There I set up the list of samples to play in the game( eagle1,2,3,4 and 5)

I am making some tweaks to make take offs better. Stay tuned:)

• 4 months later...

Sounds Epic, nice work, does it still step all over the other FC3 modules sounds though??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

Sounds Epic, nice work, does it still step all over the other FC3 modules sounds though??

Unfortunately yes, all the jets with afterburners are affected to some extent (on the other hand, it is not necessarily that bad for them.. :music_whistling:)

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to say, I love it! Keep up the good work!

Though, my only complaint is when we get jet sounds on turboprop UAVs hahaha :lol:

The issue with that is that the sounds are shared among all aircraft. There is not much that Hubson can do to remedy this if you want the jets to be loud and sound right. I really wish ED would omit certain aircraft like the props and the A10 from the distant jet sounds as their engines just dont fit with the fast movers.

Hubson, any idea when this is going to come out? I really want it and it sounds awesome.

Thank you guys, few more days, it's almost ready :)

My ears are ready! Also, I know a decent amount of the community would love to hear about your mod stuff over on the Splash One Gaming discord. Have a mod section that a lot of people frequent.

https://discord.gg/cJteKm

The issue with that is that the sounds are shared among all aircraft. There is not much that Hubson can do to remedy this if you want the jets to be loud and sound right. I really wish ED would omit certain aircraft like the props and the A10 from the distant jet sounds as their engines just dont fit with the fast movers.

Hubson, any idea when this is going to come out? I really want it and it sounds awesome.

I know, the A-10 sounds like it has powerful engines with this mod. :lol:

But you are right, wish ED would fix this.

Either way, I'm putting up with that "problem" because the sounds are awesome! That engine growling is and purring... Makes my joystick happy:joystick:

No it is just my silly mistake with A10 and Su25 sounds. It is easy to fix though, just delete these five files: "Distant_Jet_Back", "Distant_Jet_Flyby_B", "Distant_Jet_Flyby_S","Distant_Jet_Side" and "Distant_Jet_Front" . After that Su25 and Hog will sound as original. It is fixed in the next version also.

Wow, this sounds amazingly realistic. Does this mod affect only the F15C?

It affects all fast jets, all FC3 flyable with afterburners and AI fast movers also. I am not sure about other modules , I own Mirage and A-10C and Mirage is affected. Using the mod however will not change other planes sounds into F-15s, they will preserve their distinctive engine note.

So what actually the mod changes is, lets call it- sounds of the jet in motion . Flybys, distant rumble, distortions heard from distanse when te plane is approaching and so on. This is something that ED took closer look on recently and I am grateful for that. These sounds are shared among FC3 fast movers and its understandable because they sound similar from the distant. There are differences but the "core" is common- twin powerful engines. I call the mod F15 Pack because all the testing I did was with the Eagle and and most of the samples come from F15C and E recordings. Other story with the Hornet - this fella sounds quite different ( simmilar to Mirage, Rafale) but ED developed the separate sounds set for it.

Edited by hubson
Typo

Version 3 is ready. I have reworked every single sound because ED introduced new tools for audio design with the upcoming Hornet. These are :

- volume range more advanced control (silent radius, max gain peak radius)

- basic Doppler effect control

- distance filter offset (I think it is sound priority at given radius setting, anyone know for sure?)

Sound creating tools are getting more and more powerful which is my dream coming true! Thank you ED, this is a step in the right direction!

What would be even better to make things almost perfect:

- more jet-specific sound slots (frontEngine1,2,3, aroundEngine1,2,3 etc) with more control

(volume and pitch dependency from speed and rpm setting) .

- sounders to know camera position (this one I know is coming:music_whistling: )

- more sounds!!!

Anyway, this is a preview:

Grab it here:

Version 3 is ready. I have reworked every single sound because ED introduced new tools for audio design with the upcoming Hornet. These are :

- volume range more advanced control (silent radius, max gain peak radius)

- basic Doppler effect control

- distance filter offset (I think it is sound priority at given radius setting, anyone know for sure?)

Sound creating tools are getting more and more powerful which is my dream coming true! Thank you ED, this is a step in the right direction!

What would be even better to make things almost perfect:

- more jet-specific sound slots (frontEngine1,2,3, aroundEngine1,2,3 etc) with more control

(volume and pitch dependency from speed and rpm setting) .

- sounders to know camera position (this one I know is coming:music_whistling: )

- more sounds!!!

Anyway, this is a preview:

Grab it here:

Thank you!!!!! Installed it immediately, will try it again in a few minutes.

You made the F-15 sound soooo much better!