Navigation LS and L1/L2 after Rensa

Zabuzard

Either I have found some advanced bug or I'm doing something wrong.

I'm regularly flying Multiplayer, on the 104th for example. There the Viggen has a non-useful pre-defined flight plan. Therefore, I want to create a new one when on ground.

The first thing I want to do is to erase the current flightplan. I do so using the Rensa button on ground (works well). I also tried setting all zero to all waypoints but that doesn't seem to erase them as they are still selectable.

After that I put in my new flightplan which works well for waypoints. However I face some problems while entering the runway data. First, if I try to enter them via the reference values (like 9012) it doesn't seem to work well (L1 not selectable, fuel calculation doesn't work and defaults to max).

Because of that I fall back to entering the coordinates as well as runway heading plus TILS channel.

Fuel calculation is now correct and I can select L1 on the ground. However, after flying the flightplan (last waypoint) it doesn't switch to L1 and I can't select L1 anymore. When I hit the button nothing changes. Or, what I also encountered, the display reads a waypoint (B3 for example) instead of L1 and the Landing-Nav mode doesn't work for it.

Also, sometimes (don't know when exactly), when messing with the flight plan on ground I don't get the takeoff indications on the HUD though LS is selected (I can't select B0 anymore after entering my own flightplan).

I know that my description isn't very clear. That is because I'm unsure of the exact reasons and the exact procedure to reproduce. All I know is that I face some problems with entering own flight plans after hitting Rensa. Maybe some of you encounter similar problems. If not, what is your exact procedure?

Edited by Zabuza

I haven't experienced this exact thing, but I encountered something very similar just a few nights ago.

I was flying 107th, and was putting in my flight plan. As a check, I switch to AKT POS, and began cycling through my waypoints as a sanity check (my handwriting is atrocious and I once put in a latitude coordinate as 47 degrees without thinking.) I'm watching the distances increment up as well as the fuel need estimate needles, all the way back to base. Then, I hit LS, and now my fuel need is at 100, and does not reset. I go through again, reenter L1 and L2, and still, no go. Estimate is not completely borked.

I need to do some testing with this some more, but my take away is that the estimate needle can be confused at times.

Question for you. After you erase, do you still enter "9099" before entering the rest of your flightplan? I was of the understanding that doing so basically sets your current "LS".

Hope this helps.

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

No, I first enter 9099 to load the cartridge data and then I erase using Rensa.

Afaik entering 9099 again would only reload the flightplan of the mission editor (or whatever cartridge you have selected).

But now that you say, there seems to be no way to enter the coordinates for the starting base (only for the primary landing base L1). You can only set takeoff direction and TILS channel of the starting airfield (BANA/GRÄNS XXXYZZ LS/SKU).

Edited by Zabuza

I'd like to add that my waypoints seem to drift slightly to the right while I fly the flightplan.

If I engage autopilot to hold the course, I can see the waypoint slowly moving to the right (only slightly, 2° right bank to correct).

Of course this gets more extreme once I get really close to the waypoint (<1km) until I passed it.

Not tested in depth but I think it has to do with the creation of my own flightplan in-game (never saw this outside of multiplayer server).

Or it has to do with wind drift, don't know how well this works.

Question for you. After you erase, do you still enter "9099" before entering the rest of your flightplan? I was of the understanding that doing so basically sets your current "LS".

Afaik entering 9099 again would only reload the flightplan of the mission editor (or whatever cartridge you have selected)

This made me curious. Does the animation of inserting the cartridge actually have a functional purpose, or is it only an animation?

So if you don't insert the cartridge and enter "9099", will the selected flightplan be loaded anyhow or only set current "LS" as Kozality suggested?

Not at my computer (way over bedtime) and don't know when I will fly the Viggen again, so can't test myself.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I know that my description isn't very clear. That is because I'm unsure of the exact reasons and the exact procedure to reproduce. All I know is that I face some problems with entering own flight plans after hitting Rensa. Maybe some of you encounter similar problems. If not, what is your exact procedure?

Hmm, I've never had such issues. I'm flying a lot on the Blue Flag Server which only offers a single waypoint to bullseye on default, so I have to make my own flight plan as well. I do this without erasing the default flight plan. I just overwrite the existing waypoint with new coordinates. Maybe try to not erase the flight plan and just overwrite the default waypoints and see if that makes a difference? But even then, it would just be a workaround as erasing should work as well. :dunno:

No, I first enter 9099 to load the cartridge data and then I erase using Rensa.

Afaik entering 9099 again would only reload the flightplan of the mission editor (or whatever cartridge you have selected).

But now that you say, there seems to be no way to enter the coordinates for the starting base (only for the primary landing base L1). You can only set takeoff direction and TILS channel of the starting airfield (BANA/GRÄNS XXXYZZ LS/SKU).

I'm pretty sure you can set LS as well, either by reference or by coordinates. I can't check right now, but I'm sure I've done this in the past.

I'd like to add that my waypoints seem to drift slightly to the right while I fly the flightplan.

If I engage autopilot to hold the course, I can see the waypoint slowly moving to the right (only slightly, 2° right bank to correct).

Of course this gets more extreme once I get really close to the waypoint (<1km) until I passed it.

Not tested in depth but I think it has to do with the creation of my own flightplan in-game (never saw this outside of multiplayer server).

Or it has to do with wind drift, don't know how well this works.

I've seen this happenign as well, even with default flight plans. I always thought this is the aircraft drifting due to wind. I've never thought about that this might be the nav system drifting instead. Need to check this in 0 wind conditions.

This made me curious. Does the animation of inserting the cartridge actually have a functional purpose, or is it only an animation?

So if you don't insert the cartridge and enter "9099", will the selected flightplan be loaded anyhow or only set current "LS" as Kozality suggested?

Not at my computer (way over bedtime) and don't know when I will fly the Viggen again, so can't test myself.

I've always wondered about this myself. I sometimes forget to insert the cartridge, but I've never noticed anything beeing wrong with the nav system. I think it load the data anyway, which would be a bug. I've never paid enough attention to it to be sure though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I've always wondered about this myself. I sometimes forget to insert the cartridge, but I've never noticed anything beeing wrong with the nav system. I think it load the data anyway, which would be a bug. I've never paid enough attention to it to be sure though.

If I remember correctly, if you forget to insert the cartridge and run 9099, the waypoints won't load. The cartridge must be there for flight plan to load.

You still get the LS / LMAL and you can enter the waypoints manually.

I'm pretty sure you can set LS as well, either by reference or by coordinates. I can't check right now, but I'm sure I've done this in the past.

I don't find a command for manual LS coordinates, only for L1. Reference of course works, but I think I read in the manual that Rensa also erases all reference points so I stopped entering it by the references to see if thinks get better. I'm not sure if this is actually true, the manual doesn't describe that in detail.

Overwriting without hitting Rensa is possible. The problem is that the default flightplan in some missions (for example on the 104th) has many waypoints. And if I only need like 3 waypoints for my flightplan I can't delete the other waypoints. Entering all zero to them doesn't seem to remove them from the flightplan, they are still selectable and will be automatically selected after my last real waypoint.