Intermittent Sound External Views - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
mrmertz

Default Intermittent Sound External Views

Just as the title says, while flying the SU-33 and the F-15C in cockpit the sound never cuts out. However, when the aircraft is viewed using the default F2 and F3 keys at some point the sound will stop. After a random amount of time (say 15 seconds or so) the sound will kick back in. Sometimes you can hear it start and stop for a fraction of a second like its trying to get started again before it "takes hold" and acts normally.

It's a random effect. Interestingly enough, I tried before logging on this morning flying the F-86 around and the F-5E and could not duplicate it in the 15 minutes or so of flying in external modes. I understand the Doppler thing but that should have nothing to do with pacing the aircraft externally using the F2 key. Jumping back into the cockpit and cycling back outside doesn't seem to help - the sound will "catch up" in its own time.

I'm wondering if this is more of a system thing rather than a bug since I don't see a plethora of posts about it.

I was running DCS version 1.5.5 at the time. "Sliders" most all to the right. My rig is running W10 latest software updates 64 bit. My graphics card is the 780ti but the driver I had to go to the 368.81 build due to the latest driver having an issue with BOS. 16GB of DDR5 installed along with the i7-5930k chip running stock 3.5GHz.

Has anybody else experienced these symptoms?

UPDATE: Hmmm...noticed while flying the Nevada DCS 2.xxx that while viewing some aircraft using the F2 key and mouse to pan around the AI aircraft the sound is there if rotated towards the engines, but cuts out completely if the camera is rotated about 90 degrees away from it. Sounds like a bug, at least for this example (which may or may not be related to my issue).

Last edited by mrmertz; 01-29-2017 at 04:05 PM.
mrmertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
mrmertz

Updated to latest sound drivers, no luck. It's a bug. Cut out occurs whether doing Mach 1 or lower. Doesn't matter.
mrmertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
imacken

Yes, I have exactly the same thing. I reported it just after beta release in another thread.
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
imacken

Just to say that the issue is still there after all the patches to date.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
davidp57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmertz View Post
Just as the title says, while flying the SU-33 and the F-15C in cockpit the sound never cuts out. However, when the aircraft is viewed using the default F2 and F3 keys at some point the sound will stop. After a random amount of time (say 15 seconds or so) the sound will kick back in. Sometimes you can hear it start and stop for a fraction of a second like its trying to get started again before it "takes hold" and acts normally.

It's a random effect. Interestingly enough, I tried before logging on this morning flying the F-86 around and the F-5E and could not duplicate it in the 15 minutes or so of flying in external modes. I understand the Doppler thing but that should have nothing to do with pacing the aircraft externally using the F2 key. Jumping back into the cockpit and cycling back outside doesn't seem to help - the sound will "catch up" in its own time.

I'm wondering if this is more of a system thing rather than a bug since I don't see a plethora of posts about it.

I was running DCS version 1.5.5 at the time. "Sliders" most all to the right. My rig is running W10 latest software updates 64 bit. My graphics card is the 780ti but the driver I had to go to the 368.81 build due to the latest driver having an issue with BOS. 16GB of DDR5 installed along with the i7-5930k chip running stock 3.5GHz.

Has anybody else experienced these symptoms?

UPDATE: Hmmm...noticed while flying the Nevada DCS 2.xxx that while viewing some aircraft using the F2 key and mouse to pan around the AI aircraft the sound is there if rotated towards the engines, but cuts out completely if the camera is rotated about 90 degrees away from it. Sounds like a bug, at least for this example (which may or may not be related to my issue).

Just to be sure (don't mind me asking), could it be the effect of Mach-1+ speeds ?
davidp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
tom_19d

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp57 View Post
Just to be sure (don't mind me asking), could it be the effect of Mach-1+ speeds ?
This.
tom_19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
imacken

Hmm.. have to check the speed when it happens. However, I think the OP said the speed made no difference.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
imacken

Completely correct guys, it is the effect of Mach 1+ speeds. If I look at F2 view at Mach 1+, it is silent, but if I slow to below Mach 1, then the sound returns!
Good spot.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
davidp57

Well it's normal : from behind the plane you do not hear the sound because it's behind you (camera moving faster that sound) while from the front it's ... well in front of you
davidp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp57 View Post
Well it's normal : from behind the plane you do not hear the sound because it's behind you (camera moving faster that sound) while from the front it's ... well in front of you
Well, now I’m confused. At Mach 1+, the sound is heard directly behind the engine. Looking at the front or the side of the aircraft, there is no sound.