Thrusmaster TPR Hydraulic Damper Mod

Greekbull

I’m planning on doing this mod next month. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124809071517

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

25 minutes ago, Burt said:

I’m planning on doing this mod next month. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124809071517

I did the same one about a month ago, works a treat! I found the assembly a little tricky though, very tight specs and I was worried I might strip the threads on the 3dprinted parts. But went super careful and it was fine. 

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 64Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090,

CONTROLS: VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base, VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R], Thrustmaster Warthog – Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR - Pendular Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control (For Anubis C-130 Hercules), Meta Quest Pro.

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11,

Good info. Thanks ! 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 8 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 6:14 AM, Greekbull said:

OK guys did a Hydraulic damper mod this afternoon using a CNC Motorcycle Damper and some hardware I purchased. Damper was about $30. Hardware was maybe $5-7. This completely changed the TPR pedals which were already awesome and a huge step up from my MFG Crosswinds. The pedals now feel Hydraulic! Feel is amazing and added and unintended bonus is with the damper going from the base to the horizontal arm I am getting way more effects from my Simshaker/transducers in the pedals so it feels even more real!

Install is pretty easy. The U bracket I got off of Amazon and it's for a bathroom door stall panel(painted it black). You need to screw two small holes in the base to attach the bracket. Then remove the existing E Clip on the left horizontal arm and replace it with a 60mm long M5 scew. I found aluminum sleeves that would fit on the M5 and had an OD of 7.9mm...the openings on the Damper are 8mm so these were a perfect fit...here are some pics!

Hardware Needed:

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

And Installed Mod:

image2.jpg

image0.jpg

image3.jpg

image1.jpg

In the pit:

image0.jpg

@Greekbull Could you tell us what parts you used? Can you at least find links for us for them in the ace hardware site or on amazon, please? It's difficult to find something similar in the UK here, and the names of the bolts and nuts are tough as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 4:49 PM, deesto said:

Do you have a list of parts, please? especially the triangular shaped bracket?

Hi! 
No list. But all you need is a steering damper, as mentioned elswehere in the thread, and a longer M5 screw to attach the damper body to the pedal swing arm.

The triangular bracket is made from stock aluminium L beam.

• 1 year later...

Looking to do this damper mod. Do you think there is any advantage in using a higher quality motorcycle steering damper for this purpose? Starting with a new TPR, I'm a reluctant to drill holes for warranty purposes. The only non-drilling option is the 3d printed kits, like what CubeSim sells, correct? If not CubeSim, any particular recommendation?

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

To add, I have one of the Cubesim damper kits on my TPRs.  I really wasn’t that impressed as the design means that the damper is angled at it’s two connecting points, which just strikes me as poor design.

• Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Pyrocumulous said:

Mind sharing photos?

Well, it's not pretty to be honest, but it works. I've just removed Seeger lock from the back end of the arm pin. Also, I've cut the rubber bushing at the bottom to let zip tie be flush. I will change the top zip tie for a proper extended pin when I will get back from the sick leave, and maybe make a bracket for the bottom mount. I like how it gives some tactile, mechanical feeling at the moment.

Image.jpeg

Edited by Bazz_Mulder

Kowalsky

- "Fox 3" means that you have commitment issues

3 hours ago, Pyrocumulous said:

Thanks @Bazz_Mulder, that actually looks like it lines up better than I would have expected. Do you think one on each side would reduce any play?

You need to be more precise with your question. If you mean another damper on the other side - then no, it will be another anchor point with all it drawbacks. But if what you meant was solid brackets on both ends of the damper - then yes, it will reduce any play between damper and pedals base.

• Thanks 1

Kowalsky

- "Fox 3" means that you have commitment issues

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, corb said:

Yeah, Im close to ordering that version on AliExpress. Did you get yours yet? 

Yikes that was alittle over a year ago and I have not done this yet. Happy New Year !

Start Date April 2020 

• 4 weeks later...

Hardware list and photos of mine. The Airtac base is ideal for this purpose, but be aware that it took 52 days to arrive at my USA home from China, so plan ahead if you go this route. I haven't added thread locker compound yet, but that's probably a good idea on the top joint.

Parts list:

• Damper, labeled as Matris MB2901x, but it's not a real Matris product. Available for around $48 on Amazon by several third-party sellers.
  • Airtac F-MF25SDB pneumatic air cylinder mounting base, available for around $8 shipped on Aliexpress by the Airtac Pneumatic Store
  • (2) 1/4" x 1/2" bolts
  • (2) 1/4" nuts
  • (4) 1/4 washers
  • M5 x 60mm machine screw (50mm will barely clear if paired with 3/16" nylon spacer)
  • #10 nylon spacer 1/2" length, 1/2" OD
  • #10 aluminum sleeve 1/2" length, 5/16" OD
  • M5 nut
  • (4) M5 washers

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

IMG_1922.jpeg

Edited by Pyrocumulous
add missing sleeve

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.