MSAA and SSAA

Borderline

They should work on optimisation - saying to people they need 2000+ USD pc is a bit too much. 16 GB RAM and 6 GB GPU should be enough at this point in time and it is enough for any other sim on the market.

Totally agree . 2.2 ran great .

But as we all know 2.5 is Beta.

So the optimisation will come .

Ram is so expensive today and so are GPUs. :joystick:

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I play at 4k with FXAA enabled in Nvidia Inspector. MSAA or SSAA is too expensive on graphics resources. With FXAA enabled, I can max out everything else and keep a smooth 4K60 on most maps and areas. When it drops below 60, I just turn off the mirrors.

will try this, thanks.

Can you also upload a screenshot with your settings on Nvidia Inspector?

Edited by Borderline

They should work on optimisation - saying to people they need 2000+ USD pc is a bit too much. 16 GB RAM and 6 GB GPU should be enough at this point in time and it is enough for any other sim on the market.

Came to preciselly that same conclusion, and had preciselly that same argument couple days ago.

(Although in my case, playing saved missions from old DCS versions also didn't help.)

Not very willing to spend more money, but between an SSD or new GPU, don't know were to start.

Posts #48, #55, etc.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198617&page=5

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I play at 4k with FXAA enabled in Nvidia Inspector. MSAA or SSAA is too expensive on graphics resources. With FXAA enabled, I can max out everything else and keep a smooth 4K60 on most maps and areas. When it drops below 60, I just turn off the mirrors.

Just to second this - nVidia's FXAA is a bit of a secret weapon if you want great fps. In some aircraft it can make instrumentation a bit blurry but overall it's a great substitute for MSAA.

Edited by Lixma 06

Here's the Rub..

MSAA and SSAA are both Brute Force AA,.

And in the Modern World of Deferred and Mutli-Pass Shader Graphics.

You have to Run EVERY Pass w/ the Upsampled Rendering.

ShaderAA (FXAA etc), Might not be as Clear as MSAA/SSAA, but it will not cost you 50-75% of our FrPS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

There is another option, being VSR, but it also has it's compromises. I have a 2K screen, I run it at 3800*1200 and it gets scaled down (which is basically what SSAA is). It is slightly different to 2xAA in that there is still a teensy bit of aliasing, but it's much better than none and the impact is far less.

The compromise is that I need to run my Desktop at the same res so I can run the game in windowed mode. However, now I am used to that and I run all my games that way.

I have tested the different MSAA and SSAA setting with a prerecorded short low level flight on my system (FW-190D9 instant action Takeoff Normandy with lots of trees everywhere and also buildings)

What I found that there is no point to use SSAA 2.0 because the performance impact is so huge and the difference between the 1.5X and 2.0 barely noticable and that the MSAA 4X and 2X although seems less power hungry but somehow it felt it does more micro stutter. The datas of my tests also confirm this that the MSAA does more micro stutter. (at least on my sytem) So personally I found the best to use SSAA 1.5X or NOAA at all.

My results (using the afterburner benchmark). DCS:World OB 2.5.6.47404 (my settings at the bottom)

(used extreme visibility and almost the highest settings trying to maximize the impactof the AA)

NOAA

Average framerate : 81.1 FPS

Minimum framerate : 66.3 FPS

Maximum framerate : 99.3 FPS

1% low framerate : 64.7 FPS

0.1% low framerate : 39.6 FPS

MSAA-2X

Average framerate : 75.4 FPS

Minimum framerate : 46.8 FPS

Maximum framerate : 97.1 FPS

1% low framerate : 38.6 FPS

0.1% low framerate : 26.3 FPS

SSAA-1.5X

Average framerate : 68.4 FPS

Minimum framerate : 53.8 FPS

Maximum framerate : 93.8 FPS

1% low framerate : 53.5 FPS

0.1% low framerate : 38.2 FPS

MSAA-4X

Average framerate : 68.7 FPS

Minimum framerate : 46.4 FPS

Maximum framerate : 96.5 FPS

1% low framerate : 37.5 FPS

0.1% low framerate : 26.3 FPS

SSAA-2.0X

Average framerate : 52.8 FPS

Minimum framerate : 41.3 FPS

Maximum framerate : 68.6 FPS

1% low framerate : 37.9 FPS

0.1% low framerate : 30.1 FPS

Maybe on different configs the conclusion would be different but I though this might be useful for someone with similar system who don't have the time or the will to test these for hours. :D

My settings I used for my tests

DCS_2020_05_10_02_10_07_068.thumb.jpg.032755c43373ec98e87e1e4817b654f5.jpg

Edited by Sharkh
  • Thanks 1

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

• 3 months later...

SMAA via ReShade is very nice - Vega56 (flashed to 64)

I play in 4k and i have AA disabled in-game. However, i enabled SMAA in Reshade. 6-8 fps drop but a lot less jaggies..

Trying ReShade for the first time. So far so good.

I turned off DCS MSAA x2 and enabled SMAA via ReShade. (ReShade also has FXAA)

• I could see visible improvement quality of the AA

• I did get about 7 FPS improvement.

Your results will likely vary wildly depending on your GPU, CPU, RAM size and speeds.

Fun Experiment! Reshade 4.7.0 Released on June 24th - You can find a few youtube videos and some information on DCS Forums about ReShade.

Good Luck!

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 1 month later...

DSR DSR DSR

Not clear what Monitor you use, but for me 1080p was all I was thinking I could muster (native resolution)

DSR in the Nvidia control panel makes a significant difference. You can access up to 4k (3840x2160) and others in DCS !! AND turn off all ANTIALIASING.

Why has no one mentioned DSR before ?

I have been diddling with this for more than a few years, and its a game changer.

Also explore the MAX Frame Rates in NVIDIA control panel... the idea being 60hz monitor cant handle more than 60 FPS, wild fluctuations in frame rate can cause stutters, and drops.

• Like 1