Logitech G940 and the Tiger (Part II)

Peter97

Hello there,

Last year I wrote about cruising with the F5 and the problems with Force Feedback (FFB) with the Logitech G940 joystick.

I could solve the FFB problem, but whenever I try to maintain any altitude it becomes an imposible task to achieve.

Some people say F5 is NOT a handoff jet. Well, of course it is, it has not Auto Pilot, but she can maintain level flight with just minor adjustments from time to time.

Just to say an example, former F5M pilot of Spanish Air Force told me they used to fly them from Iberian Peninsula to Canary Islands just tapping the joystick from time to time.

I have read a very interesting thread about the same issue, and one answer took my atention:

Yes you can fly the F-5 with hands off stick level flight. here is one recipe. Now I have a Warthog stick and throttle so it might be more difficult with another throttle but give it a go.

1. I used the Nevada map took off normally from Groom Lake flew west to the edge of the map

then turned back towards Nellis on the other side of the map

2. Got to 10,000 feet leveled off the best I could. Set the throttle to 88% just under 90%

3 This is the important stuff. Look under the hood at the trim gauge. It goes from one line under zero then zero then the first line and on up past 5 to a few more. If you set it at the line below zero or on zero the plane will fly you into the ground. If you set it at the the first line above zero or other lines above zero it will give you the roller coaster ride. However if you set it at just below the first line above zero that's the sweet spot.

4 Now with your throttle at 88% and your trim set to just below the first line above zero. You can now watch you vertical speed indicator to see how much more you are either ascending or descending.

5. ascending more than descending tap with you fingers on the throttle to slow the aircraft. A very slight tap. this is very sensative. don't pull or push just tap.

6. Descending more. Tap the throttle up. Just tap it

7. A few taps here and there and your in hands off stick and level all the way back to Nellis

8. You don''t need extra fuel the F-5 it is very fuel efficient at this setting. Fly slick no weapons

9. You can experiment a different altitudes and throttle settings on your own. write down your power setting for future. you can even work out approach descents. Once the light bulb goes on in your head there will be no stopping you.

Yes on auto flaps, F-5 instant action takeoff Nevada map. Remember as fuel is depleted your center of gravity will change slightly. Just tap on the throttle to adjust. I spent 8 hours on this watching how the aircraft responded to different settings. Smiled all the way across the map hands free stick and level.

Hope this helps

Short movie of F5E levelflight in DCS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0heu8jt5r2swr4p/F5E-levelFlight.mp4?dl=0

Thumper

And

, flying at 9000' with the same RPM setting as Thumper said and without fuel tanks nor bombs.

I think it is not the same feeling as flying the real thing.

So I would like to know if someone is able to cruise at a given altitude without having to look too much to the Vertical Speed Indicator having the same HOTAS, and if you don't have the G940, tips from your own experience will be appreciated.

One of the firsts things I noticed in the F-5 is this tendency to go all the way down or all the way up. It doesn't give this slightly dampened effect around the 0 VSI zone that usually allows a more or less leveled flight by adjusting the throttle and the trim as it happens with other modules in DCS (with the exception of the F-86 which also gives this unstable feeling).

I don't know if that's a representation of flying the real thing. I don't have the knowledge to do any kind of useful observation, something that some members of this community seem to hate. So, I usually stay away of this specific topic exposed here. But this morning I felt that as a regular person with a hobby I would like to chat about it and reply to this post and say that yes, I notice the same in the F-5 and is in contrast with other airplanes in DCS... which means nothing because I don't know if that's correct or not or anything in between... just chatting.