How to Fly the Dora

Yo-Yo

~500 km/h indicated and 2100-2300 RPM keeps your wings level. The problem is, you won't maintain 500 with such low RPM for long :D (unless you're descending).

I haven't tried file editing suggested here...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=131508

...but it might be a good temporary solution until next patch comes.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Yo-Yo please tell Erich thanks from one veteran to another...:thumbup:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

• 10 months later...

Has anyone noticed increasing or decreasing the throttle has no effect on direction (yaw or pitch) in the FW-190, which is especially evident while at low speed and landing.

The BF-109 definitely simulates this very well but its not evident in the FW-190.

Also the bail out animation isn't as good as it is in the BF-109. BAILOUT HAS NOW BEEN ANIMATED IN 1.5

Is this due to it still being in beta, and if so when will the final version be released.

Edited by fasteddie1

• 1 month later...
I've flown the the Dora for about a week now. Amazing module! :thumbup:

I think I will have more questions in the future, but for starters, I'm wondering about the preferred way to keep wings level in cruise. How should that be achieved: By applying rudder or by applying stick?

Depending on the power setting, the aircraft has a more or less pronounced tendency to roll. To me, it feels as if applying rudder is the proper way to counter that, but that leaves me flying uncoordinated according to the slip indicator. But I can't imagine that pilots had to apply constant stick pressure, seeing as there's no aileron trim...

:

The answer is rather simple, for the general case of bank deviating from zero. You keep bank zeroed using ailerons as no other control surface influences the bank as effectively. I don't know the Dora enough yet but I suspect it's the side slip you should be concerned about so the first question would be "how to address the side slip?". I'm sure you know you do this by applying rudder. Since rudder provides secondary banking effect you'll be facing slightly different conditions compared to the initial conditions but it all boils out to: achieve the remaining corrections using ailerons.

An additional important note is - forget about the ball while doing all this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=910996&postcount=2

Uhm...nope :)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1044674&highlight=fella#post1044674

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=910996&highlight=fella#post910996

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=862983&highlight=fella#post862983

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=862983&highlight=fella#post862983

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=862899&highlight=fella#post862899

Again, in straight flight trajectory (or straight trajectory flight), e.g. in a stable cruise flight, the ball does not indicat neither yaw nor side slip. Ball fixation is one thing but please don't use pear pressure to tell the ball it should indicate what it can't ;)

Edited by Bucic

Has anyone noticed increasing or decreasing the throttle has no effect on direction (yaw or pitch) in the FW-190, which is especially evident while at low speed and landing.

uhmm i'm actually having these effects. especially at the yaw axis.

You may don't find em as extream as in the 109, what makes sense since the 190 is much heavier and is better balanced. After all, the 109 was dangerous to land im comparison to the 190. Especially with crosswind.

• Like 1

The answer is rather simple, for the general case of bank deviating from zero. You keep bank zeroed using ailerons as no other control surface influences the bank as effectively. I don't know the Dora enough yet but I suspect it's the side slip you should be concerned about so the first question would be "how to address the side slip?". I'm sure you know you do this by applying rudder. Since rudder provides secondary banking effect you'll be facing slightly different conditions compared to the initial conditions but it all boils out to: achieve the remaining corrections using ailerons.

Exactly.

Also forget about the ball when maneuvering during the transition from one condition of flight to another.

Use the movement of the nose or rather enough rudder to eliminate any yawing moments.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140143

• Like 2

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

Thx for the insight!

I did some flying around in the meantime and realized that in 109 and 190, the power setting has a very pronounced effect on the aircraft's yawing and rolling tendency, so my solution currently is to get the ball centered (during level flight and after setting the power; I'm not talking about maneuvers) with the rudder and then counter any remaining rolling tendency with the stick, because otherwise (ball not centered) I would obviously be flying uncoordinated and exposing either side of the fuselage to the wind, wasting fuel and/or energy in the process. That should be the correct way, shouldn't it?

As for maneuvers, I guess the lack of tactile feedback makes it difficult to get it right. I think I'm mostly using the right amount of rudder during turns, but might be doing it quite a bit wrong without even realizing it. If the aircraft "wobbles", I guess I'm doing it wrong, so instead of staring at the ball during a turn, I try to get the aircraft to fly smooth and maybe then glance at the ball to check that it's not too far off center.

This goes for pretty much all fixed wing DCS modules.

Thx for the insight!

I did some flying around in the meantime and realized that in 109 and 190, the power setting has a very pronounced effect on the aircraft's yawing and rolling tendency, so my solution currently is to get the ball centered (during level flight and after setting the power; I'm not talking about maneuvers) with the rudder and then counter any remaining rolling tendency with the stick, because otherwise (ball not centered) I would obviously be flying uncoordinated and exposing either side of the fuselage to the wind, wasting fuel and/or energy in the process. That should be the correct way, shouldn't it?.

Again, in straight flight trajectory (or straight trajectory flight), e.g. in a stable cruise flight, the ball does not indicate neither yaw nor side slip.

I can set up my aircraft at 20 degrees sideslip with the ball centered. The ball only works during stabilized turns.

Edited by Bucic

Yurgon

Do like Bucic is telling you and ignore the ball when transitioning.

Lead the turn with just enough rudder to eliminate any directional axis movement so that the nose rotates around the longitudinal axis of the airplane.

Watch the tracks I made in the rudder coordination thread. It will not only let you see what is correct but will give you some exercises to help build the muscle memory required to do it without thinking so much about it.

Make sure you have your controller set up with default stick curves and little to none on the deadzone.

I have no deadzone on my CH pedals.

If you have a twist stick...good luck!! (Get some pedals) :thumbup:

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

Again, in straight flight trajectory (or straight trajectory flight), e.g. in a stable cruise flight, the ball does not indicate neither yaw nor side slip.

I can set up my aircraft at 20 degrees sideslip with the ball centered. The ball only works during stabilized turns.

I guess I need to think this through some more.

The following is all just my working hypothesis, it would be great if you guys could point out if/where I'm wrong.

So, the ball rests inside a U-shaped tube and acts on acceleration, right?

When I fly level and the ball is not centered, there has to be an acceleration driving it away from the center position, or else it would be centered (because of gravity pulling it to the lower-most position inside the tube, as the only acceleration acting on it).

Since in level flight I have the wings parallel to the horizon (ADI), any acceleration driving the ball away from the center can only be lateral. And with lateral acceleration acting on the aircraft, doesn't that automatically mean yaw/sideslip?

Do like Bucic is telling you and ignore the ball when transitioning.

:confused:

Didn't I write exactly that in my previous post?

At least that's what I meant to say.

Lead the turn with just enough rudder to eliminate any directional axis movement so that the nose rotates around the longitudinal axis of the airplane.

Yup, that's what I currently try to do. In any case, thx for clearing it up once again. :thumbup:

Watch the tracks I made in the rudder coordination thread. It will not only let you see what is correct but will give you some exercises to help build the muscle memory required to do it without thinking so much about it.

Yeah, I learned how to crash into the black sea like a real pro. :D

Kidding aside, track playback apparently doesn't work too well between versions (I played it in the latest 1.5 yesterday -- besides, playback has never been reliable), but even before the crash (that I guess didn't take place when you recorded the track), I wasn't quite able to tell the difference between the coordinated and uncoordinated turns that your post said should be shown.

Make sure you have your controller set up with default stick curves and little to none on the deadzone.

I have no deadzone on my CH pedals.

If you have a twist stick...good luck!! (Get some pedals) :thumbup:

With the WWII aircraft, I'm currently experimenting with no curves, but these aircraft are terribly hard to fine-control with no curve. A stick-extension would be the obvious solution, but until then I think a curve is a fairly decent way to get fine-control around the center, at the loss of fine-control near the extremes.

Regarding rudder pedals, the Crosswinds are doing a great job. It's the piloting that I'm still not entirely sure about, as noted above. ;)

@Yurgon

"Didn't I write exactly that in my previous post?"

You was told to forget about the ball because you seemed to try to use it in straight and level flight and you seem to insist on doing that (your hypothesis).

Please don't get me wrong but if the following

Again, in straight flight trajectory (or straight trajectory flight), e.g. in a stable cruise flight, the ball does not indicate neither yaw nor side slip. The ball only works during stabilized turns.

doesn't convince you it's going to be a hard one to convey. But let me try anyway (tbc) ......

You said:

level flight + wings horizontal + ball off-center

diagnosis:

you are flying along a big curve in horizontal plane

there - is - no - other - way

Except that [deleted] It is often that your wings are not level after all and the ball simply shows bank.

If you claim:

level flight + wings horizontal + ball off-center + flight along a straight line

diagnosis:

You are soaring above a Neverland ;) It's not possible.

Let me get back to the

The ball only works during stabilized turns.

because

Side slip does not necessarily imply acceleration! And you need (lateral) acceleration for the ball to move. Let us go even further:

level flight + wings horizontal [deleted or 'you add slight bank']+ legs off the rudder pedals

result:

significant side slip and... you are flying along a straight line! So no lateral acceleration nor any other acceleration if your airspeed is not increasing.

Edited by Bucic

@Yurgon

"Didn't I write exactly that in my previous post?"

You was told to forget about the ball because you seemed to try to use it in straight and level flight and you seem to insist on doing that (your hypothesis).

Please don't get me wrong but if the following

Again, in straight flight trajectory (or straight trajectory flight), e.g. in a stable cruise flight, the ball does not indicate neither yaw nor side slip. The ball only works during stabilized turns.

doesn't convince you it's going to be a hard one to convey.

It doesn't convince me. In fact, I don't understand it, and I can only assume that we probably mean the same thing, but fail to understand each other because of terminology and/or language.

If I take your repeatedly made point literally, it seems dead wrong to me, as far as yaw is concerned.

Anyway, take all of the following as my current understanding, and once again I believe my understanding may be wrong.

Also, in all of the following examples, I refer to...

- Fw-190

- wings level (parallel to the horizon, as indicated by the ADI)

- no major changes in altitude

- changes in engine power, thus speed changes may or may not have to do with the whole thing

But let me try anyway (tbc) ......

You said:

diagnosis:

Except that your wings are not level after all and the ball shows bank.

Okay, the first part I get:

diagnosis:

I agree, that makes sense.

Except that your wings are not level after all and the ball shows bank.

That doesn't make sense to me.

With (full) rudder deflection and counter-stick-deflection, I can fly a full circle with wings level (and, naturally, the ball off-center). That is yaw, or a yaw turn, or a turn around the aircraft's yaw axis. In this example, I fly it on purpose by deflecting the rudder.

However, whenever a change in engine power shoves the nose around and deflects the ball and I don't counteract that with the rudder, I also fly a yaw turn, albeit maybe a slow one at, say, 20 degrees per minute or something like that -- unless I "step on the ball" and get it centered, so that the aircraft remains on its current heading.

The only solution I can come up with right now to un-confuse this is by questioning what exactly you mean by "straight flight trajectory". Do you mean maintaining the same course?

I guess an aircraft can't fly a yaw turn and maintain course at the same time, so if that's what you meant all along, I failed to understand that part for what it was meant to convey.

Anyway, if the aircraft maintains course with wings level, doesn't that also always mean that the ball will be centered (and vice versa)?

If you claim:

level flight + wings horizontal + ball off-center + flight along a straight line

diagnosis:

You are soaring above a Neverland ;) It's not possible.

I agree, that makes sense.

Let me get back to the

The ball only works during stabilized turns.

because

Side slip does not necessarily imply acceleration!

Hold on!

With side slip, I agree.

With yaw as in yaw-turn, I don't believe that is equally true, or is it?

The lateral acceleration of the yaw-turn is the very reason the ball is off-center during a yaw-turn, isn't it?

That's why I have such difficulties getting to grips with your statement you quoted repeatedly, because it talks about yaw and side slip at the same time.

And you need (lateral) acceleration for the ball to move. Let us go even further:

level flight + wings horizontal + legs off the rudder pedals

result:

significant side slip and... you are flying along a straight line! So no lateral acceleration nor any other acceleration if your airspeed is not increasing.

I can't confirm that. With feet off the pedals, I can easily get into a yaw turn (with relatively slow turn rates, like maybe 20 degrees per minute), but there is definitely a turn, i.e. the course does change over time, meaning the aircraft does not fly in a straight line but in a rather wide circle.

I can upload a track to demonstrate, but I think this is rather self explanatory within a few minutes in the Dora and the Bf-109.

Sorry for the long post, but I really try to understand why I have such a hard time understanding your point(s), and I can't convey my meaning in fewer words.

Yeah, I learned how to crash into the black sea like a real pro.

Ahh stupid track bug! ARRRRRRGGHH!!

They need to fix it. When they do I will make some more along with the exercises to help build muscle memory.

Watch this...maybe it will help.

http://www.aopa.org/aopa-live?watch=hpa202YTpqZ-bn2yNikbfXO2iUdAZLbD#ooid=hpa202YTpqZ-bn2yNikbfXO2iUdAZLbD&ootime=08m30s

Ahh stupid track bug! ARRRRRRGGHH!!

They need to fix it. When they do I will make some more along with the exercises to help build muscle memory.

Watch this...maybe it will help.

http://www.aopa.org/aopa-live?watch=hpa202YTpqZ-bn2yNikbfXO2iUdAZLbD#ooid=hpa202YTpqZ-bn2yNikbfXO2iUdAZLbD&ootime=08m30s

It doesn't qualify as a bug. It's a long known limitation of DCS. You need to record videos of your most precious tracks. Or perhaps do TacView recording. You should definitely investigate whether it preserves recording compatibility. I think it does.

@Yurgon:

Yaw angle is arbitrary (depends of chosen reference) while yaw-motion is not relevant to our discussion as we discuss stabilized conditions. Regarding the

level flight + wings horizontal + legs off the rudder pedals

Let's scratch that for now. It is not true for 'wings horizontal' case. I haven't proofread the post before saving. Also it's clear now why we were drifting away in the discussion:

albeit maybe a slow one at, say, 20 degrees per minute or something like that -- unless I "step on the ball" and get it centered, so that the aircraft remains on its current heading.

Correct!

The sentence I kept requoting specified straight line as flight trajectory and this was fine. As soon as we got into the 'specific cases' I failed to recognize you delve into details. You see, with most people I discuss the subject with I have to simplify it harshly to get anywhere and so I did when engaging with you. Sorry. The simplification in question works this way:

At cruise conditions the curve is so wide and lateral acceleration so low that the ball is hardly capable of showing that, especially that even a very small amount of bank tends to cancel the ball offset.

Tadaa :) Sorry again, for wasting your time and trashing the topic a bit.

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

Awesome explanation, thx! :thumbup:

Tadaa :) Sorry again, for wasting your time and trashing the topic a bit.

Not at all, I really learned something here, thx for taking the time! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I am new to DCS WW2 planes and am currently learning the P51 and Dora. I find the P51 quite newbie-friendly, once you learn safe RPM and manifold pressures anyway, and I can easily defeat the FW190 in the P51's Instant Action dogfight against it.

However I am having a lot of problems defeating the P51 while flying the Dora in its own Instant Action mission against it. I suspect this is due to some newbie mistakes and some advice would be appreciated!

My standard setup is to throttle to 100 % with MW on (I believe the MW is default on, correct?). However I have the following issues:

- The plane naturally rolls left quite heavily, which I can't trim out due to the absence of rudder and aileron trim! This is definitely the most annoying and makes it very difficult to fly level, or to make minor adjustments e.g. for aiming up a shot. Surely this can't be the normal state for this plane? I have double checked all my inputs (including checking the control-enter input panel). The only slightly odd thing I notice is a constant right rudder that is applied, even with neutral rudder input, presumably this is simulating a trim tab? I don't get this behaviour on the P51.

- I find the plane very shaky and unstable compared to the P-51. I can't turn too hard or the cockpit shakes heavily, and if I push it, the nose of the plane bucks wildly around. I suspect this is me playing too heavily on the stick, but sometimes it feels like the plane gets into a bad mood and even gentle movements cause shaking until I level out for a good five seconds. This all hurts my position badly in the dogfight.

Generally I find I have to try very hard to get a favourable position against the P51. I have recently tried to focus more on vertical loops and split-S rather than turnfighting the P51, as turnfighting seems to be a hopeless proposition. However typically I am always just 1 mistake away from having him on my six, whereas it takes many minutes of good manoeuvring from me just to stay even (typically resulting in head-on gun runs at each other). I also find it to hard to play in the vertical while still managing to keep eyes on the opponent and avoid stalling.

It doesn't help that I am using an X55 stick with a twist rudder, but I am getting rudder pedals soon which hopefully will help a little!

Hi guys, I am new to DCS WW2 planes and am currently learning the P51 and Dora. I find the P51 quite newbie-friendly, once you learn safe RPM and manifold pressures anyway, and I can easily defeat the FW190 in the P51's Instant Action dogfight against it.

However I am having a lot of problems defeating the P51 while flying the Dora in its own Instant Action mission against it. I suspect this is due to some newbie mistakes and some advice would be appreciated!

My standard setup is to throttle to 100 % with MW on (I believe the MW is default on, correct?). However I have the following issues:

- The plane naturally rolls left quite heavily, which I can't trim out due to the absence of rudder and aileron trim! This is definitely the most annoying and makes it very difficult to fly level, or to make minor adjustments e.g. for aiming up a shot. Surely this can't be the normal state for this plane? I have double checked all my inputs (including checking the control-enter input panel). The only slightly odd thing I notice is a constant right rudder that is applied, even with neutral rudder input, presumably this is simulating a trim tab? I don't get this behaviour on the P51.

- I find the plane very shaky and unstable compared to the P-51. I can't turn too hard or the cockpit shakes heavily, and if I push it, the nose of the plane bucks wildly around. I suspect this is me playing too heavily on the stick, but sometimes it feels like the plane gets into a bad mood and even gentle movements cause shaking until I level out for a good five seconds. This all hurts my position badly in the dogfight.

Generally I find I have to try very hard to get a favourable position against the P51. I have recently tried to focus more on vertical loops and split-S rather than turnfighting the P51, as turnfighting seems to be a hopeless proposition. However typically I am always just 1 mistake away from having him on my six, whereas it takes many minutes of good manoeuvring from me just to stay even (typically resulting in head-on gun runs at each other). I also find it to hard to play in the vertical while still managing to keep eyes on the opponent and avoid stalling.

It doesn't help that I am using an X55 stick with a twist rudder, but I am getting rudder pedals soon which hopefully will help a little!

Welcome to the German engineering :P German single engine fighters have only the horizontal stabilizer trim. Everything else is manual. The 190 is not realy a good turn fighter. Your advantages are:

-roll rate

-speed at low altitude

-climb rate

-firepower

-high speed instantaneous turn

Dora is great against P51 in normal combat. In duels though, it shouldn't be turned to fight the P51. Here, as in any other sim, the Fw190 can't turn with the P51 at lower speeds. Get separation, climb above him, push him down (bleed his energy) and then B&Z him to death.

If he is behind you, run. If he is close behind use scissors, as your roll rate will just dominate him. Done.

Secondly, the Fw190 "is shaky" and that is a good thing. It gives you more warning that you are closing to a stall, the P51 you are most likely to stall without even knowing something is wrong. The buffeting is a good thing, that lets the pilot know he is pushing the plane too hard. When the plane buffets, just loosen the stick a bit.

PS. You don't need rudder pedals, I don't even use them, just set good curves.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

In duels though, it shouldn't be turned to fight the P51.

Exactly, just like you should not fight the dragon without your magic sword!! :smilewink:

In DCS that is correct since the Dora is missing over 450 horsepower in the turn.

The only way to achieve the results we see in the game is set the P-51's propeller efficiency at 100% against the Dora with 78%. You need at least a 20% efficiency disparity to overcome the math and physics.

It is just that simple.

A blade element analysis shows no reason for this at all, which I will post when it is complete. In fact, while the P-51's propeller does show on a dimensional analysis to be about 6% more efficient in a narrow speed range, it has more blades, higher rpm, and a smaller diameter.

That means the math says for much of the envelope it is less efficient than the Dora's.

Once more, all propellers fall within about the same efficiency range and there is not much to choose from at all. That is why it is industry standard to use around 80% efficiency, a little lower for a fixed pitch GA aircraft and slightly higher for a high performance Constant Speed Propeller equipped aircraft. A few percent does not change the picture and the point is physics say the P-51 and the Dora will be very close in their propellers ability to produce thrust from a given amount of power.

It is very easy to spot a bad design or engine/propeller combination too.

2j1lsnc.jpg

VDM was a top propeller designer and while the company was shut down by the allies after the war, the personnel went to work for and intellectual property rights where given to Mtt Propeller.

http://www.mt-propeller.com/

15wjui8.jpg

21j985d.jpg

Why are u derailing the topic again? FM creator told u it is correct. Last thread got locked. I am trying to help this guy fight in the dora., not tell him what I think about the FM. I know its behaviour and therefore helping him correctly fight the P51D

Just make another thread about it. I have my own gripres with the FM... Just not here.

Edited by Solty
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

FM creator told u it is correct. Last thread got locked.

No he did not say it was correct.

He said the Dora's propeller does a trick. I think he is right. It makes power disappear.

I cannot even take off in this one :)

Full stick back, max 1,5 ATA, first flap detent.

Make sure you have disabled "auto rudder" and "takeoff assist" in the Special Menu.

As you gain speed, start easing on the stick.

Input right rudder - just needed at the initial takeoff run acceleration, because as it gains authority on the tail surfaces, you can practically bring the rudder to neutral...

It's easier than the 109 :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Full stick back, max 1,5 ATA, first flap detent.

Make sure you have disabled "auto rudder" and "takeoff assist" in the Special Menu.

As you gain speed, start easing on the stick.

Input right rudder - just needed at the initial takeoff run acceleration, because as it gains authority on the tail surfaces, you can practically bring the rudder to neutral...

It's easier than the 109 :-)

NO I find the 109 way way easier now to take off, but don't why the 109 does shudder @low speed and goes crazy.

I will try to take off now.

The easiest is the Tf-51

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC