HUD Glass Tint

This is a first attempt to adding some glass in the A-10C cockpit for the HUD.

The cockpit model does not contain any glass although the exterior full 3D model does.

This mod hacks the HUD UI LUA scripts and draws 2 panes of glass. Its pretty minimal and is really only designed to give a slight tint and darkness to the world on the other side of the panes of glass. It does not do reflections or any other spiffy sort of thing you can think up of.

Readme.txt has info on adjusting the color and alpha for the glass.

Note:

Finding the right shade/darkness was near impossible, Google either showed darn near transparent glass or fairly dark glass in my search results.

If anyone has a decent cockpit shot of an A-10 for reference and wants to go super anal and pixel f*ck what the real values should be please be my guest and post.

Cheers

Download - Link

1317638698_TintedHudMod-Example001.thumb.jpg.bc280df5f8ce3e3905b0194946c05da0.jpg

1332975765_TintedHudMod-GlassLayers.thumb.jpg.ba09547166a4b59ce7b9bb88d5ccffe0.jpg

While it's a cool idea, adding tint to the HUD glass is wrong.

Note the surrounding glass above the HUD. The center panel of glass on the front of the canopy is actually clearer than the surrounding glass, giving pilots as clear a view as possible without changing colors.

Adding tint to the HUD takes away this intended clear view.

It's not incorrect for a couple of reasons.

Glass isn't 100% transparent especially when viewing through 3 layers of it with a canopy and 2 panes of glass from the HUD.

Their are enough images on the Internet that show the HUD slightly darkens the light coming through. The reflective glass that catches the HUD projection.

Different colors from different glass.

F-18 Dark almost purple tint

HUD-F-18.jpg

view?resolution=1280x1024&file=MTY4MHgxMDUwLzIwMTIwMzAxL2FpcmNyYWZ0cyBtaWxpdGFyeSBjb2NrcGl0IGh1ZCBwbGFuZXMgZjE4IGhvcm5ldCAxNjgweDEwNTAgd2FsbHBhcGVyX3d3dy53YWxscGFwZXJoaS5jb21fNDkuanBn&name=YWlyY3JhZnRzX21pbGl0YXJ5X2NvY2twaXRfaHVkX3BsYW5lc19mMThfaG9ybmV0XzE2ODB4MTA1MF93YWxscGFwZXI=

A-10 tint

a10cockpit.jpg

Because I was unabe to find a decent A-10 pic that is properly calibrated with a decent whitepoint and ISO I've not messed with the color much and mainly set it up for a 10% tint.

Real world it's not noticeable at all. I've got a few pictures but none of them relay correctly what it actually looks like.

The pictures below may look tinted but actually it's just gun gas on the center windscreen....the day I took these pictures I hadn't cleaned the windscreen yet.

7a2b012b.jpg

18420564.jpg

Posting high contrast images with overblown highlights doesn't help the topic much.

The first two pics had completely different darkness levels in the yellow side windows because of the exposure. Just look at the sky.

If your pics had a piece of plain white paper on the aft piece of glass and another in front to calibrate as the WP that be something better to compare against then the unfortunate wildly varying exposed images.

It's their and not really a question, how much is whats the discussion. Saying it doesn't exist period is ignoring material science because glass is not 100% transparent.

Rick%20Chin%20A-10%20Cockpit%2008.jpg

4996069258_90287b478a_z.jpg

I agree with paulrkiii. The HUD glass in the F-16 and F-117 did not have a tint, they where highly reflective glass, but there was no tint to it. Just my opinion, you are more than welcome to add what ever tint you choose. Most photos, the color seen is from the reflection of the HUD projector/PDU glass. That glass did have tint. normally a green color. But the HUD glass itself has not tint.

But all said and done, we are talking semantics.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I am looking at an older A-10A style HUD now that i have cleaned the dust off.

There is not visible tint (a color or a variety of a color; hue.)

There is a highly reflective coating on both panes of glass.

The only green i can see is on the bottom edge cut across the HUD glass as i pivot the unit away from me looking for smudges on the glass.

You should listen to Paul he is very kind to take the time to answer any ones questions

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

why isnt there a glass in the HUD assembly for the a-10. I always wondered if this was a mistake by ED.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Posting high contrast images with overblown highlights doesn't help the topic much.

The first two pics had completely different darkness levels in the yellow side windows because of the exposure. Just look at the sky.

If your pics had a piece of plain white paper on the aft piece of glass and another in front to calibrate as the WP that be something better to compare against then the unfortunate wildly varying exposed images.

It's their and not really a question, how much is whats the discussion. Saying it doesn't exist period is ignoring material science because glass is not 100% transparent.

Forget pictures then....how many times have you sat in the cockpit of an A-10C or are you simply a "google" expert?

I'm not going to argue with you, I'm trying to give my persepective as someone who has worked on A-10s for years. Take it or leave it I'm done with this subject.

In many A10 HUD photos/videos you can see what appears to be a reflection from the cathode ray tube (? I think that's what the a10 HUD uses). It only appears in certain lighting conditions and takes the form of a green circle superimposed over the normal HUD symbology.

Is that what you're trying to simulate, or just an overall combiner glass tint?

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

A perfict example of some one not listing to the answer because he does not like the answer

What else to say thank you might be a good start to the people that tried to help you out. What a waist of time.

Please just stop with the replies if you think glass is 100% transparent and invisible.

I don't know what else to say sorry.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Needing to explain that you can see a pane of glass is mind-boggling.

What answer don't I like? The one where people say glass is 100% transparent and doesn't alter light passing thought it or that glass is invisible? I'd sure like to know how you don't walk into glass doors if you can't see them.

Someone delete the thread already...

nrgized has a point, glass is not 100% transparent but also main reason people do see glass is because it's has fine dust particles (a really clean and new glass is sometimes actually not noticeable - reason why they put some patern or marks on the glass, so it is noticeable there is glass there)... also to take people's first hand experience which have been looking through a HUD for years, the light loss you get from triple glass is very minimal and in most cases not noticeable... so I think the way to go for this mod (whoever likes to use it) is to make absolute minimal "tint" on the HUD.

In my opinion, I wouldn't bother with it as less files you modify the better

No longer active in DCS...

if there is no light reflecting its surroundings into your eyes, but just light passing through the glass you will not see it if the glass is of a certain quality. A very high polished, reflecting glass pane in a HUD should not diffuse, or reflect unwanted reflections other than the cathodes symbology projection into the pilot's eyes direction.

From a different angle or outside the cockpit that is different. Normal glass in windows is not comparable to precision lenses or other optics products.

So in terms of 100% transparent: no, definitely not - in terms of "tinted" or "glass is visible for the human eye from the seat looking straight through the HUD": no definitely not, as well.

The amount of light blocked by the HUD glass is not "visible" for the human eye from that angle... unless it's dirty, scratched, going blind or else unfit for duty:D

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to relight the fire under this one but the real issue (for me anyway and others I suspect) is not being able to read the "in game" HUD against bright blue skies and snowy mountains and landscapes.

It seems the problem has been approached from 2 angles, (this thread) and the bigger text mod (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95797)

I totally get the requirement for as clear a glass as possible when rolling onto a target but during navigation flight in nice weather the HUD is lacking a flip up colour filter for easy visibility (like the Ka-50 and Su-27 etc) IMHO.

So what I was wondering if there are any A-10C veterans viewing this is what is the real HUD like to read in sunny or bright white out conditions?

If you tell me it was a bitch to see and was barely legible unless against a darkish background then I'm happy to play the realism out being a sucker for punishment.

On the other hand if the opinion is that the real A-10C HUD is perfectly visible against all background conditions then there is a requirement for some kind of fix.

This is the only HUD I have had trouble getting on with in this respect.

Thanks I'm Dunravin' :D

The FALSE is real, but it's not THRUTH right?

Intel i7 8700K OC4.4GHz | 16GB | GTX1080Ti | Logitech G940 | TrackIR5 |

As I understood it is pretty much accurate to the real life one. An interesting statement in another thread was about the HUD isn't the primary instrument(s) for flying. So a real life A-10 pilot will mostly use the gauges for speed, VVI, height etc. opposed to the HUD.

It is the instrument in an attack run, where you concentrate on target and keep a glance at height and speed...

I had the same "problems" until I realised I'm far too dependent on the HUD for actual flying. As most of us, I came from a long history of "old" flight Sims where you usually had little other information than the HUD.

It "clicked" for me, when I started flying P-51D, Huey and especially testing the Hawk... there is no HUD! How the hell can you manage this thing? The answer was using the gauges from the steam age like a real pilot.

Once you get used to casually glance at the primary instruments all the time and only focus on the HUD in the actual attack run, you barely notice the inconvenient sun glare etc.

I switch day or night mode according to light situation (orange sometimes is better against light backgrounds) and whenever I can't "see" the HUD, I automatically glance at the corresponding gauge.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

As I understood it is pretty much accurate to the real life one. An interesting statement in another thread was about the HUD isn't the primary instrument(s) for flying. So a real life A-10 pilot will mostly use the gauges for speed, VVI, height etc. opposed to the HUD.

It is the instrument in an attack run, where you concentrate on target and keep a glance at height and speed...

I had the same "problems" until I realised I'm far too dependent on the HUD for actual flying. As most of us, I came from a long history of "old" flight Sims where you usually had little other information than the HUD.

It "clicked" for me, when I started flying P-51D, Huey and especially testing the Hawk... there is no HUD! How the hell can you manage this thing? The answer was using the gauges from the steam age like a real pilot.

Once you get used to casually glance at the primary instruments all the time and only focus on the HUD in the actual attack run, you barely notice the inconvenient sun glare etc.

I switch day or night mode according to light situation (orange sometimes is better against light backgrounds) and whenever I can't "see" the HUD, I automatically glance at the corresponding gauge.

I've got lots of HUD video that shows it is readable in most instances. I'll try to upload a few this weekend.

And the HUD isn't an approved IFR instrument not that pilots don't use it. By OIs they aren't suppose to when in IFR conditions.

• 11 months later...
Correctness/incorrectness aside, it would at least make the hud readable in level flight.

And, because it fixes that visibility issue, it figures that the download doesn't work.

Good necropost. :doh:

Just make sure next time when doing a necropost introduce the reason why you necro'd a thread, like the last guy in this thread did.

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.