Mustang First Take-Off and Landing: Post your Tracks/Vids

159th_Viper

With everyone talking about how hard the Mustang is to fly, I thought I'd crash. First take off was with keyboard, and aside from almost going off the side of the runway, it was fine.

Unless I am greatly mistaken, "auto rudder" is on in the Special tab of the options by default, and possibly "takeoff assistance" as well. If you had a joystick and pedals, I would recommend turning these aids off for a more realistic experience, but if you're stuck with keyboard, then all I can offer is my sympathies. (I do remember how miserable it is to try to fly with nothing but keyboard.)

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I am greatly mistaken, "auto rudder" is on in the Special tab of the options by default, and possibly "takeoff assistance" as well. If you had a joystick and pedals, I would recommend turning these aids off for a more realistic experience, but if you're stuck with keyboard, then all I can offer is my sympathies. (I do remember how miserable it is to try to fly with nothing but keyboard.)

echo, you should invest in a CH trio..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I knew about this and turned it off, however I just went into my options to double check and auto rudder was on. Take off assist was 0%. Is auto rudder suppose to come on every time you launch DCS World?

At the very least I went back and took off/landed again. It felt very different and now I understand where people's comments come from. I had to abort the first take off, and the second one was pretty hairy, but I made it. Best of all though, I got the AI to crash into a mountain and win without hitting it.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 2 weeks later...

My best takeoff so far (full realism):

A5xIsT8His4

Didn't manage to land yet ...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

:)

Good news is that you scored an A+ grade on the ground-looping course :D Jest aside, that was exactly how I spent an entire morning when I first got my hands on the Mustang :megalol:

Keep at it and you'll get her up in no time. Just make 100% sure you lock the tailwheel prior to takeoff.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• ED Team
Oops! lol. Using right rudder and nose down trim helps. Hold the stick back for the intiial roll (about 60 to 70 kts), then push the stick forward until nose level, then gently lift off after 100 kts

Just anticipate what rudder control you must input. As you return the stick to trimmed (neutral or near it) position be ready to apply right rudder AS THE NOSE BEGINS TO GOING DOWN.

As you are at desired TO attitude do not forget to decrease right rudder input or even perform left rudder shot to stop right yawing if you are late with right rudder release.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

To perhaps add some clarity to what Yo-Yo said above: by anticipation, remember inertia. The controls you input now need to counter forces in play in future.

Learning this is also called the backseat IP freakout as you PIO your way through both takeoff and landing. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yet another "first flight" video:

I dived right in to full simulation settings, with no take-off assistance or auto rudder. I've provided links in the YouTube description to skip all the messing about at the start (setting up TrackIR, messing with zoom mapped to joystick slider and general looking around the cockpit, like a child with a new toy!).

I'd heard the stories of how hard it can be, so I was ultra careful, and I think it went quite well. Ironically, after watching the take-off training I got worse for a bit but now I'm much better and smoother at taking off and landing.

Edited by Tone71

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.