Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

• ED Team

I understand ED have to charge for the new map but they should include the assets with it. It's not like someone will fly over Normandy without the WWII stuff and fly over Caucasus or Nevada with the WWII stuff.

New WWII maps ? In 10 years ?

Wags has already shared modern units using Normandy with some screenshots.

And we already have WW2 flying over Caucasus / Nevada with the aircraft the community already use, some even use ww2 mods that have been put out there by the community.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Wags has already shared modern units using Normandy with some screenshots.

And we already have WW2 flying over Caucasus / Nevada with the aircraft the community already use, some even use ww2 mods that have been put out there by the community.

But these are free mods. Once Normandy is out, you'll never see Caucasus WWII scenarios.

That's because they didn't have a choice.

New WWII maps ? In 10 years ?

Remember the "plans" (on hold actually) by VEAO to build a Tobruk WW2 map, the Iwo Jima LNK map and some "not confirmed rumours" about a future WW2 map on the east front on the russian forum.

Surely the WW2 team has more plans to future maps follow Normandy.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

• ED Team
But these are free mods. Once Normandy is out, you'll never see Caucasus WWII scenarios.

so now you will have a choice.

You decide as the user and the server admins decide what is best for his server.

and we get great new content to play with

seems like win win to me

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Again, why can't anyone fly WW2 over Caucasus or NTTR ? Normandy is good but there are no desert or mountains in this part of France (For example).

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

VEAO have plans for everything...

My point like the others is to say that making a split with the assets is not good for the game.

ED should consider offer it for free, that's a boost for the planes modules sales.

You are being disrespectful....

Yeah, DCS is free remember ? Caucasus is free, Su-25T is free, TF-51 is free. Devs got to eat you know...

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

...leave aside the creativity of the community mission builders that can "make believe" many situations. Our imagination is our limitation.

Edited by BIGNEWY
1.15 Discussions of other game companies products are forbidden.

Something I think people are forgetting about in regards to the "fracturing" of the community. The assets and map can be purchased independently (a supposed nidus for the fracture), so that people who don't want to buy Normandy, but still want those AI features, can purchase said AI features for use on NTTR or Caucasus for a lower price than buying a map + AI for a higher price if they were combined . Makes sense to those who have no interest in WWII stuff but want to use jeeps, trucks, etc in various post-war scenarios.

I know people will still say to this "well why cant the AI units be free and included in the base game, thus completely eliminating all fracturing". While that would be true, just look at what they have done with those models. No other game I know of have AI units that look that detailed and accurate. A ton of work goes into that. I had always been under the assumption that if I wanted to use those AI assets anywhere else in the game, I would have had to buy Normandy. I did not expect them to magically appear into the game without a purchase of the WWII aspect of the game, but apparently a ton of people did....

I had always been under the assumption that if I wanted to use those AI assets anywhere else in the game, I would have had to buy Normandy. I did not expect them to magically appear into the game without a purchase of the WWII aspect of the game, but apparently a ton of people did....

Yes you can have them for $30 :lol:

Again, why can't anyone fly WW2 over Caucasus or NTTR ? Normandy is good but there are no desert or mountains in this part of France (For example).

I think that the weird feeling is that I do not see anyone buying the new units without buying the map (at least do not see the logic). Unless this is is a new business model in wich the modern era is kind of a demo but anything else has a price. Do not see the problem in that but if that is the case would be nice if developers explain this new business model.

I'm trying to get my friends into DCS, Normandy should be great i won't have to come up with contrived mission briefings about how all air combat occurs over Georgia, maybe i can make a cold war battle of Britain scenario :thumbup:. I hope there is a way to modernize the airfields for contemporary aircraft and missions. There's no way i can convince my friends to pay $30 each for AI units :(.

Cold war scenario can be really awesome.

Harrierrs in France, defending the last group of ground units. M2000 and F5s from England trying to cover their heads... and Viggens and F18 (from Carrier) trying to avoid the russian fleet to control the Channel.

Of course, Uh, and gazzeles doing insertions in "badland".

On the Other Side... Ka50, Mi8 doing the mud war for the russians. I just expect to get a full moddelled Mig29!!!! or Mig23!!

• ED Team

If you intend to play the map with WWII units, then get the bundle. If you want the map, but not use it with WWII units, then just get the map. If you just want to use WWII units in other maps, then just get the assets pack. Your choice

so now you will have a choice.

You decide as the user and the server admins decide what is best for his server.

and we get great new content to play with

seems like win win to me

I already explained perfectly why it's not a win win situation on the long run. But it seems that got ignored. And server owners will be forced at the end not to choose what is the best.. But what brings the most people, excluding other people because they don't have asset pack number 8 or carrier pack 3.

Imagine you bought the F-18 thinking .... "Yes i can now fly on all servers that include F-18C". But noooo To enter that server you need to buy asset pack 3, 6 7, and 8. If you are a DCS vet you maybe already have pack 6 and 7. So okay.. no biggy you buy the other pack as well. A month later the server decides to include asset pack 4 as well.. Now he is "forced" to buy that as well otherwise he can not play on his favorite server.

But now imagine a new player comes into DCS. Buy's F-18C. Wants to join a vanilla server cause he does not have pack 1 to 20, but there is only maybe 20 people in it. And the other 10 vanilla servers only have 5 to 10 people. So he decides to join the other 3 popular servers..... All of them using different official ED DLC. Bammmm now he needs to put down 400 dollars to be able to play on a popular server, or stay with minimum player base on the other 100 vanilla server with 5 or maybe 20 players in it. Or when that guy wants to play with his friends he also has to go buy all asset packs if his friends don't want to play vanilla DCS or he will be left behind when they switch over.

it's going to be harder and harder to find people to play with. Already now new people have difficulties to find the right server or friends that are able to create a server for their module.

I have no doubt that DCS WWII is going to be amazing and worth the wait. But the issue will still persist.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

• ED Team
VEAO have plans for everything...

My point like the others is to say that making a split with the assets is not good for the game.

ED should consider offer it for free, that's a boost for the planes modules sales.

I am sure they considered it for free, initially there was not thought of a separate unit pack, but the investment has been large. The only other solution is to allow non-unit pack owners some way to join a server without it, but I dont know if there are technical issues to doing this that they couldnt work around. ED has been doing this for a while. I am sure they considered most options.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
1-5% of the DCS players play online, so this way 95-99% of the community is happy.

According to you, how should it be handled ? No DLCs ? All DLCs free ?

We should be careful, even if its 1-5% of players playing online, doesnt mean their opinion on this doesnt matter. Its just finding the best solution for all, and right now this approach is the best solution ED can offer.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

We should be careful, even if its 1-5% of players playing online, doesnt mean their opinion on this doesnt matter. Its just finding the best solution for all, and right now this approach is the best solution ED can offer.

I totally agree, I'm just trying to say that for most of the community, the problem won't even exist. :)

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

• ED Team
I totally agree, I'm just trying to say that for most of the community, the problem won't even exist. :)

I totally agree, but I think ED knows that growing the online community is a good thing too. And I dont want anyone that enjoys the online part to be forgotten. And mostly I dont want to see us attacking each other on this. We all are here for the same thing, everyone here has an equal voice, just please... be nice about it (this is directed at all, not any one person).

64Sig.png

For me the issue is not about this WWII units pack in particular, but about the potential problems this whole model brings in the future if expanded. What if there will be a Hormuz Units Pack including a SA-2? If someone makes a Caucasus campaign using the SA-2, will you have to buy the Hormuz pack? Now you might say to not worry about things unknown things in the future. But when would be the most appropriate time to give feedback on this model if not now? ED certainly won't change the anything about the Normandy release at this point. But by giving our feedback as customers now, ED can make an informed decision whether to continue this model for future releases.

This issue is very real for SP as well. If I decide to drop in the new Bofors flak into my Desert Tiger 76 dynamic campaign, I instantly lock out the majority of DCS users from playing it.