age and health affecting flight sim hobby

Ramstein

I know there are a lot of us that love to fly... but a lot of us get older and make us lose the sharpness and agility on the keyboard, stick, eyesight.. (add very bad health to my list). I still am active with the squad activities too, but hard settings make it very hard. Have very bad diseases, and pain, low stamina, and... just like fun... easy things...). I can do hard slow startups, but prefer quick starts by far. Can't do much about speed of my body and eyesight...

so, if you make and do missions and campaigns give us old farts a chance to with aircraft and missions we can do. Thanx!

:joystick::pilotfly::doh:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Hey friend, I was having age related issues too - however a friend recommended a couple of books for me, and well I feel 20 years younger (everywhere, as embarrassing it is to say).

If you have the time, take a look at a book called The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. It won't fix everything, but I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone.

If you have Netflix then you can watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives, or What The Health. They are based on the same topic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

• ED Team
Hey friend, I was having age related issues too - however a friend recommended a couple of books for me, and well I feel 20 years younger (everywhere, as embarrassing it is to say).

If you have the time, take a look at a book called The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. It won't fix everything, but I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone.

If you have Netflix then you can watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives, or What The Health. They are based on the same topic.

OMG

The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall changed my life also!

been on a wholefoods, vegan no oil diet for a short time and already reaping the rewards for it!

:thumbup:

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

OMG

The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall changed my life also!

been on a wholefoods, vegan no oil diet for a short time and already reaping the rewards for it!

:thumbup:

Will we have to call you smallnewy soon? ;)

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

• ED Team
Will we have to call you smallnewy soon? ;)

Put it this way, I am encouraged by the results for such little effort :)

I will always be bignewy, my brother and I served together in the same infantry battalion, he was newy and I was bignewy.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Been on drugs all weekened cuz of some tooth pain..WAAAHHH

Those little defects get more and more often and tend to stay longer before they are called cured ::cough::

I might give this Netflix thing a chance, can't harm to hear what they have to say

20 years ago I could fly for 6-10 hours non-stop. You'd need a crane to get me outa that chair after 4 now !!!

Usually I can fly 60-90min and then BADLY need to move my bones, stretch, cry and sniff...and then I maybe make it back into the cockpit, but most of my flying times 1h is max I can take these days..LoL

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I know there are a lot of us that love to fly... but a lot of us get older and make us lose the sharpness and agility on the keyboard, stick, eyesight.. (add very bad health to my list). I still am active with the squad activities too, but hard settings make it very hard. Have very bad diseases, and pain, low stamina, and... just like fun... easy things...). I can do hard slow startups, but prefer quick starts by far. Can't do much about speed of my body and eyesight...

so, if you make and do missions and campaigns give us old farts a chance to with aircraft and missions we can do. Thanx!

:joystick::pilotfly::doh:

I hear you Ramstein and can also identify with you. Although I don't know your issues and it's easy to offer remedies without knowing your health issues, know that you are not alone. :)

Cheers . . . . .:)

• ED Team

agreed it is difficult to give advice without knowing more, and nothing beats a doctors advice

( unless the doctor is useless :) )

I was just surprised to see the starch solution mentioned in these forums :)

I know what you're feeling like Ramstein. I've been flight simming for 35 years and I'll be turning 70 in a few months. The old Mk I eyeballs are not what they used to be but I'm still getting in 4-5 multiplayer flights per week in 3 different sims. I can still see my monitor well but I realize that I could possibly not be able to drive my car in a few more years. I don't worry about having lost some reaction time, some of my squadron mates are older than I am! We're known as "The Old Fokkers".

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I know what you're feeling like Ramstein. I've been flight simming for 35 years and I'll be turning 70 in a few months. The old Mk I eyeballs are not what they used to be but I'm still getting in 4-5 multiplayer flights per week in 3 different sims. I can still see my monitor well but I realize that I could possibly not be able to drive my car in a few more years. I don't worry about having lost some reaction time, some of my squadron mates are older than I am! We're known as "The Old Fokkers".

Sounds like my kind of squadron "O'l Number 70+". I've been at it since 1985 and my MkI eyeball is about a M1/2 eyeball now. :)

agreed it is difficult to give advice without knowing more, and nothing beats a doctors advice

( unless the doctor is useless :) )

I was just surprised to see the starch solution mentioned in these forums :)

Hi BIGNEWY,

Starch (carbs) is my big problem. Heritage northern Europe it seems my genetic profile is to consume as much carbs as possible to get through the lean winter months. Regrettably, the winter months in our modern culture are not so lean anymore - ergo, you know where it ends up.

Sounds like an interesting read . . . . but . . . . when those craves arise - the cake and pie seem to twist both arms at the same time. :)

Cheers,

Cats . . .

And just to lighten it up from another ageing soon to be ole fart. :)

The mention of Fokker reminded me of this . :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• ED Team
Hi BIGNEWY,

Starch (carbs) is my big problem. Heritage northern Europe it seems my genetic profile is to consume as much carbs as possible to get through the lean winter months. Regrettably, the winter months in our modern culture are not so lean anymore - ergo, you know where it ends up.

Sounds like an interesting read . . . . but . . . . when those craves arise - the cake and pie seem to twist both arms at the same time. :)

Cheers,

Cats . . .

Trust me I know, been abusing my body for a long time, and I did not believe this would help me.

Had to research it correctly and follow to the letter but it made dramatic changes to my weight and body. I am at a weight now I have not seen for over 15 years, and I keep loosing. My blood pressure is back in the normal zone and my resting pulse is as low as when I was in the army, both were at dangerous levels before. :)

In it's simplest form the diet is making sure the majority of your meal is starch, so boiled potatoes or brown rice, with a side of veg. No oil ( in the ingredients or cooked with it is pure fat ) No Dairy ( it is fat ) and No meat ( again fat ).

It is worth taking a look at, give it 7 - 10 days and you will see a difference, I was sceptical but once you see results it builds momentum for staying with it, the best thing is you don't feel hungry, as the starch is filling.

Once you get to the target weight you switch to a wholefoods plant based diet, you have to be careful as you can put weight back on, even with a vegan diet, lots of natural fats in products like peanut and avocados, he has a list of stuff to avoid on his website.

Pie's and cakes are on the menu :)

In fact here is the dessert list: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/?cat-id=7&cat-name=Desserts

And I believe this is the reason it works so well (for me at least). I get to eat most of my favourite foods, however with strategised ingredients.

OMG ....

How exciting to meet a fellow McDougaller, and here of all places! We'll have the healthiest sim community at this rate :lol:

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Pie's and cakes are on the menu :)

In fact here is the dessert list: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/?cat-id=7&cat-name=Desserts

And I believe this is the reason it works so well (for me at least). I get to eat most of my favourite foods, however with strategised ingredients.

How exciting to meet a fellow McDougaller, and here of all places! We'll have the healthiest sim community at this rate :lol:

Woah, quite a recipe list. Mainstream dessert worth researching. :)

Usually I can fly 60-90min and then BADLY need to move my bones, stretch, cry and sniff...and then I maybe make it back into the cockpit, but most of my flying times 1h is max I can take these days..LoL

Likewise and with all the talk of how bad sitting is for us, I've been trying to think of a way to fly whilst standing but the pedals are a bit difficult to think of a replacement for! Maybe a giant slider that you move left and right with a toe might work but you'd still need something to do the toe brakes.

Sent from my ZUK Z2132 using Tapatalk

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• ED Team

I have friends who have spinal injures which can make things difficult, use of twist joysticks has helped some regarding rudder, but you have to find an alternative for the toe brakes.

I have added another axis to my warthog stick that I use for brakes on the spit, just a simple lever and a hall sensor, so it is possible to find alternatives.

Also a friend who had a stroke, and has slowly returned to flying, continuing something you enjoy keeps you going sometimes.

Wow guys.....This is pretty amazing. 3 years ago I weighed 220 lbs. I'm only 5'7" so that's kind of big. I had 3 herniated disks in my back that hurt constantly from bailing hay as a teen, I had pre arthritic conditions in both of my hands, swollen Hemeroids, and several other aging type issues.

I was pretty dumbfounded as I was eating healthy (or so I thought), I exercised regularly. and I'm only 53. I thought that I was just getting old.

At some point, I just got disgusted with my physical appearance. I went to talk with a doctor to see if there were anything I could do. Again, I was eating healthy, and I ran 5 miles a day. Yet I was still gaining weight.

Thankfully, I found just the person who would help me and change my life completely. Long story short, 3 years later with no simple sugars, processed foods, and NO STARCH unless it's in a natural grain, I have maintained 180 lbs easily, my back is great! Very little pain. Hemeroids are completely gone. No sign of them at all. My hands and joints are pain and swelling free, and my life is so much different.

The food industry is as bad as the big tobacco guys so far as I am concerned. After doing a ton of research I have learned that most of what we eat and is advertised as "healthy" isn't healthy at all. Most of it is harmful. The way it was put to me by a doctor: "Food companies make stuff.......stuff that happens to be edible. It's not "food" by any means. They have to add sugars and chemicals to it just to make it taste like food. But it's just edible stuff." And that's the truth.

I thought that eating natural was a hippy fad. If it is.......call me a hippy. I learned.

well I am 31 years old but due to occupational hazards, my back is arched and I can’t stand the setup I have so I placed a few pillows under and behind me as ergonomics was not good and it somehow alleviated my pains. What I am saving for now is a huge multimonitor setup and a flight seat. It will take me sometime but believe me, it helps relaxing. All respect to seniors here but from a medical man, invest in ergonomics more than gadgets it will take a huge step to your health. Here is to your health big brothers

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Edible means nothing anymore and it is so hard to separate the good food from the bad food.

Look at bread for example, a rather simple product that needs 4 ingredients only - but look what they have done to it. Over 200 add-ons are allowed, rendering the whole product into a useless pile of something you shouldnt eat. Germany is a land of bakers and good bread...sorry, it USED to be a country of good bread and pride bakeries. Now, they should be ashamed of what they sell, indeed !

Meat...full of antibiotics, hormones etc...

cook your own food as much as possible, avoid candy, sweets and cookies unless homemade for Xmas,prefer glass over plastic for storage and everywhere where possible, etc etc.... it aint easy and you can hardly escape the curse completely, we are in too deep, too many hungry guys wanting to sell junk...hungry for money, not good food !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Trust me I know, been abusing my body for a long time, and I did not believe this would help me.

Had to research it correctly and follow to the letter but it made dramatic changes to my weight and body. I am at a weight now I have not seen for over 15 years, and I keep loosing. My blood pressure is back in the normal zone and my resting pulse is as low as when I was in the army, both were at dangerous levels before. :)

In it's simplest form the diet is making sure the majority of your meal is starch, so boiled potatoes or brown rice, with a side of veg. No oil ( in the ingredients or cooked with it is pure fat ) No Dairy ( it is fat ) and No meat ( again fat ).

It is worth taking a look at, give it 7 - 10 days and you will see a difference, I was sceptical but once you see results it builds momentum for staying with it, the best thing is you don't feel hungry, as the starch is filling.

Once you get to the target weight you switch to a wholefoods plant based diet, you have to be careful as you can put weight back on, even with a vegan diet, lots of natural fats in products like peanut and avocados, he has a list of stuff to avoid on his website.

Yeah...You see. Unprocessed carbs are not harmful to you at all. Since you are eating boiled potatoes and brown rice, you are getting all of the nutrience with the carbs and your body disposes of it correctly. Thus, your weight and functions stay stable. Stuff like french fries, and white rice has been robbed of everything but the energy(starch, carbs) through it's processing so your body treats it as though it were sugar.

I would never have believed that making this change would have changed so many things in my body for the better. It says a lot about big business, human apathy, and how dangerous deception is. Just think of the burden that would be lifted from the medical industry if there were better rules and the food industry actually cared about the human side of their product. Good on you BIGNEWEY!

• ED Team

Thanks Zimmerdylan,

I feel like I have had my eyes opened to how the industry operate, it seems criminal to me now.

Reading so many stories from ordinary people who have cured illness just by having a good diet, it is amazing.

I have lost over 3st so far ( 19.0509kg or 42lb ) I am still amazed how well it is going.

lol this is great, so were not only bound by dcs! Forks over knives is a must watch for sure. Fasting is also a very great healer, its amazing.

gonna check out Dr. McDougal! I also like Dr. Robert Morse.

Edited by rogonaut

You guys have convinced me. I do try and eat healthy but its not. I will eliminate most of the bad food products. My wife got very ill a little while back and after 15000.00 in health care bills, gastrointestinal studies, every test imaginable, they could not find anything.....she was suffering badly, stomach, constant diarrhea etc. My wife is smart...she is an engineer. She went through a process of elimination on her own. She found the problem. She lost 35lbs and now looks super for her age. The problem.....sulfides....which is a preservative....and is in almost everything on the grocery shelf. Another chemical.

It came on her almost overnight. She is cured. But along time suffering and finding out what the problem was.

Laz