AWLS Channels

Captain Orso

Does AWLS work in multiplayer? A friend of mine asked me to try it out, since he couldn't get it to work on a caucasus map. So i tried it aswell and started om Kobuleti, setting my tacan to 67X and the AWLS Channel to 01. According to Chucks Guide that should have been the right channel.

As I approached the runway heading 070. I didn't get no horizontal or vertical indicator bar. The EHDS was set to AWLS and I tried both NAV an VTOL Mode. Tried a second approach from 250 with same result.

Or did I do something wrong?

Does AWLS work in multiplayer?

It did in 2.5.3 ? but as I usually use TACAN in MP, I can't say if Razbam's AWLS implementation is still working in Open Beta's MP.

A friend of mine asked me to try it out, since he couldn't get it to work on a caucasus map. So i tried it as well ... did I do something wrong?

Impossible to say without a track or .miz to test.

Kobuleti RWY 07 ILS will only work if there is zero wind or a 7 knots (3.6 m/s) headwind towards 250° T.

If RWY 07 isn't the "active" runway, ATC will turn off Kobuleti's ILS and Markers/NDB's, there is also a 2.5.x bug that incorrectly turns off the ILS for moderate (1-6 knot) headwinds, even when RWY 07 is "active".

Kobuleti AV-8B ILS :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3565139#post3565139

ILS, PRMG and NDB's Turning off for moderate headwinds :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3530219#post3530219

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I wish someone who knows ILS in the A-10C would compare with AWLS.

I find AWLS useless. I can't really explain why it "doesn't work" for me. By that I mean, it functions as a tool so poorly, that using TACAN and the course line are far more useful.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I wish someone who knows ILS in the A-10C would compare with AWLS.

The A-10C is my "go to" module when checking if a ILS bug is module or DCS dependent.

AV-8B

AFAIK Razbam's AWLS azimuth functions like it should with proportional deflection for +/- 6° in the center and full left/right deflection +/- 7-20°.

IRL this is because the scanning beam is only coded with left/right info above +/- 6° i.e. between 7 - 20°.

Razbam's AWLS is modelled with ICLS/AWLS behaviour as described in the RL manual but works with DCS's ILS localizers and glide slopes, which wouldn't be possible IRL.

The AV-8B HUD only provides deviation info.

A-10C

ILS gives proportional guidance over a wider angle +/- 35° @ 10 NM, ED's A-10C models this.

The A-10C has "flight director" guidance (roll/pitch) as well as ILS deviation, making it easier to intercept the localizer center line without referencing the TAD (moving map) or HSI/TACAN.

Comment

Plan to intercept the localizer center line at 30 - 45°, don't expect good guidance if approaching at ~90° to the runway center line.

TACAN is there to help capture the AWLS/ILS center line. AWLS/ICLS is not intended to be used in isolation.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I think I've figured out what makes AWLS so useless. Basically, there is no course line on the HUD, that is, a line coinciding with the runway and indicating how far away from the intended course you are.

This means you have no idea how sharply to turn in toward the course-line, nor once you have reached the course-line, how sharply to turn to stay on it.

You have a course-line in TACAN on the MMAP, which is better than nothing, but in AWLS you don't even have that.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1