Technical Problem (not DCS related) I beg for your Knowledge..

OK so yesterday I got my new Ram sticks. Kingston Hyper X Savage 2400Mhz 2x8g. First of all I bought the Ram separately cause I didn't do my homework for my Mobo, but the sticks are Identical.

My Mobo is MSI Gaming 970.

I have to admit that cause I didn't take care of my Mobos Manual I gave into other mistakes..

I had the same sticks but 2x4g that's why the upgrade. My Mobos manual says that supported freqs are from 1333 to 2133(OC). I had my Rams (2x4g) set to run 2400 all the time. :helpsmilie:I never had any problems really but that's worrying.

Second I did not remove the power cable from my PSU before I swapped the RAM..I did all the rest for static charge probs but not that..:book:

I am no genius but I know some stuff for how things work in and out but in my excitement I made those mistakes.

I tried all the known techniques to reset CMOS I swapped back the Old Sticks removed all unnecessary components, swapped stick slots 1-3,2-4, checked connection, deassembly and reassembly of my pc nothing works.

The PC is getting power everything powers up but the monitor keeps blank no matter what. The only noise I can hear is the CD-ROM reboot noise goin on and on in a few seconds inter volt and the loop continues for ever.

Any help is Welcome.

Tomorrow I am going to the service store, I fear that I have fried my rig and whatever had died in there..I m screwed.. :helpsmilie:

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

Second I did not remove the power cable from my PSU before I swapped the RAM..I did all the rest for static charge probs but not that..:book:

I think your problem lies right there. :(

Even if you did disconnect the power cable, you would also need to unload the PSU capacitors before assembling or disassembling anything inside.

(try for instance to remove the power cable, then press the power button: The PC will turn on for a brief moment before it shuts off)

Basically you changed the RAM on a powered motherboard.

Sounds like you fried something in the process.

As a last resort, try removing power and resetting all devices, plugs etc. and see if it helps.

Also try to remove non-crucial devices, and see if the PC then starts.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I also did unload the PSU capacitors. Well looks like I fried it.

Thank you sir.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

Well, ACTUALLY...in the MANUAL of Kingston or Corsair, dont remember which exactly, it tells you to NOT disconnect the PC from 110/220 but ONLY flick the PSU switch to 0 so the phase is cut but ground remains connected to prohibit static charge/discharge.

I always power them down, flick to 0, hit the power button 5-10 times until all LED stay OFF and then change the modules.

What you can do to revive the board ( had to do that on several boards over the years ) is try to boot it 100% BLANK. No CPU, no RAM, nothing plugged in but the PowerCable for CPU and ATX.

Then try to boot it and see if it resets.

Before you do that, take out the battery and put a COIN ( US-Quarter or 50 €cent ) in the tray and leave it in there for 5-10 minutes and bridge the jumper as in manual as well. I had dead boards that came alive again that way. It might not work and cause lots of stress to take the CPU off but that is 1 thing you can do as last resort.

Have you checked by Eyeball that you didnt damage anything physically, happens quick by accident ?

Do you have or should have a GREEN LED lid when all is OK ? Do you still see the "All is OK" LED ??

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Wow ok maybe I can try this..I tested today the ram and GPU on another Mobo and they work so its the mobo afterall.

No there are no indicator Lights of any sort saddly and I saw no damage on the board.

What if with your way I gave life back to the board, will it be reliable after?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

What you can do to revive the board ( had to do that on several boards over the years ) is try to boot it 100% BLANK. No CPU, no RAM, nothing plugged in but the PowerCable for CPU and ATX.

Then try to boot it and see if it resets.

But for how long?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

Usually if it comes to life again it is same mobo as before, works or doesnt

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well, ACTUALLY...in the MANUAL of Kingston or Corsair, dont remember which exactly, it tells you to NOT disconnect the PC from 110/220 but ONLY flick the PSU switch to 0 so the phase is cut but ground remains connected to prohibit static charge/discharge.

Well, that is only sure to work if you live in a country where mains plugs have three plugs and can only be connected in one way.

Where I live there are only two, so if plugged you don't know if the switch has cut the phase or the zero connection.

For some countries, the plug can be inserted either way even if grounded, so also here you cannot be sure.

In that case it is better to disconnect.

But your tip about MB revival is super, never saw that before. :thumbup:

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I gave the Mobo to a local service store. I talked to him about your method and we are gonna give it a go! Thanks for all your help! I will post the results soon!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

Lets hope that ancient trick works ;)

We have 3-pole phase-zero-ground plugs on 230v, important is, as the brochure says, to keep ground connected.

Yes, if the PSU is bad that could be dangerouzzzzz!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Sadly the mobo isn't responding.. However the service guy said that it passed the electrical test. I have tested all the other parts on another mobo and they work.So I start looking for a new one, I m debating if I should buy the same..

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

Damn !

Bad luck pal :(

I'd not go for the same thing, out of principle.

I tried everything I believe. Including what Bitmaster suggested. I consider it dead.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

I tried everything I believe. Including what Bitmaster suggested. I consider it dead.

BadHabit,

I just did the same ALL weekend, trying to get my motherboard back to life but its very clear now that the E-ATX 8-pin plug causes the board to stay silent and dead, despite all lights work.

Done myself all that I told you plus a whole bunch more as I love my Sandy CPU but had no luck and I give in, call it a dead board and move on...sigh.

I am lucky nothing else got fried, wouldnt wanna buy a new GPU as well now that CPU-MOBO-RAM is on my list.

Badhabbit,

It might be worth taking the ram out and taking a good close look at the legs in the slot.

I've had a fair few boards sent to me at a shop i worked at with some seriously tight ram slots.

Customer installed additional ram/touched it/killed it apparently.

No POST.

Customers pc failed to POST with gpu and ram removed cpu installed. (usually they beep like mad!)

However the atx leds near the 24 pin connector was signalling a reset.

Upon closer inspection,

One of the ram legs had crossed over and shorted with the leg next to it, halting the entire system in the process.

@bitmaster

Will the board post with just 4 pin atx?

This sounds like vrm failure to me.

@Avernus the RAM both old and new are working fine in my old Gigabyte GM880 mobo. I took a look on the ram slots on the MSI 970 but nothing visual here. However damaging stuff..thats all me..but my average amatuer eyes see nothing wrong there..

@BitMaster Uhh.. Unlucky m8..yeah looks like carbon situation here :p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

@bitmaster

Will the board post with just 4 pin atx?

This sounds like vrm failure to me.

It never ever posted again, aka 1 beep.

The only way it did anything was with the 24pin alone, leaving the 8-pin EATX plug ( CPU ) out.

The CPU fan started spinning and all lights responded GREEN,

I took off the coolers of the VRMs but couldnt see a visible damage.

Booted it naked, with and withput EATX, battery etc... all the tricks...DEAD