F-117 NightHawk's Still Active?

Phantom88

If I recall correctly, and mvsgas can probably shed more light on this, they're in flying storage, or something like that, where they can be reactivated in a very short period of time. In order to do that, they need to be unwrapped, filled up, flown, maintained, then re-stored every so often.

Edited by Tirak

That, or the QF-117's program has started ;)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If I recall correctly, and mvsgas can probably shed more light on this, they're in flying storage, or something like that, where they can be reactivated in a very short period of time. In order to do that, they need to be unwrapped, filled up, flown, maintained, then re-stored every so often.

I also think that is what their status is. Still too much potential use to just put them in a boneyard but not enough to maintain fully active status.

Makes one wonder how cost effective that is though. I guess the maintainers get reassigned until they need someone that understands how to take care of the aircraft.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I also think that is what their status is. Still too much potential use to just put them in a boneyard but not enough to maintain fully active status.

Makes one wonder how cost effective that is though. I guess the maintainers get reassigned until they need someone that understands how to take care of the aircraft.

Here is an article explaining the F-117 and Type 1000 storage.

http://intercepts.defensenews.com/2014/11/we-now-know-why-the-f-117-is-still-flying/

It's always fun though to come up with theories as to what the F-117 could be up to these days....one of them just might be true.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I dont think they will end in the boneyard. They choped up every usable F-14 components in order not to end on iranian hands, and I guess a stealth plane would have its security level tightened a few notches up.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

http://intercepts.defensenews.com/2014/11/we-now-know-why-the-f-117-is-still-flying/

Thanks. I can't help but feel that if it can take 30-120 days to return the aircraft to service, then the ability to bring them online 'in case of emergency' isn't all that good. A month is a long time, in terms of dealing with an active military threat, IMHO.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Fortunately, I do not know the current status of any F-117, this is an old photo found online

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2815826&postcount=108

Additionally, recently, I saw some job postings which stated F-117 experience preferred, you guys can infer what you want out of that. I can't seem to find those jobs posting anymore. Maybe you guys can find them.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

It's always fun though to come up with theories as to what the F-117 could be up to these days....one of them just might be true.

In that article, the show pictures of the F-117 "gate guard" at Holloman AFB.

click on image to enlarge

140512-F-QQ305-117.JPG

Nighthawk returned to Holloman Heritage Park

The famed F-117 Nighthawk was returned to the Holloman Heritage Park on June 28, 2014, after a 4-month restoration project. After being exposed to the elements since 2008, the aircraft was in need of repair. The 49th Maintenance Squadron returned the aircraft to the condition it was in during its stay at Holloman. The aircraft was painted to represent aircraft 793 which dropped the first bombs in Operation Iraqi Freedom. The aircraft is actually Scorpion 3, which is one of the original Senior Trend aircraft and was used to reveal the Stealth's existence to officials in December 1983 when the program was still top secret. The restored F-117, shown here, made its debut at the Holloman Open House in May 2014. (U.S. Air Force photo by Mr. Arlan Ponder)

That aircraft is highly modified. Obviously all classified material is removed so the nose, leading edges, trailing edges, the paint etc. was fabricated so the aircraft look normal.

I dont think they will end in the boneyard. They choped up every usable F-14 components in order not to end on iranian hands, and I guess a stealth plane would have its security level tightened a few notches up.

Actually, even when in active duty, the aircraft did not have a higher security unless it was deployed over seas or in an airshow. At home base (Holloman AFB) the security was the same as any other military aircraft.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Not every tomcat was diced...

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks. I can't help but feel that if it can take 30-120 days to return the aircraft to service, then the ability to bring them online 'in case of emergency' isn't all that good. A month is a long time, in terms of dealing with an active military threat, IMHO.

Not to mention the fact that no-one has trained how to fly or maintain the F-117 since 2008

Check my F-15C guide

Not to mention the fact that no-one has trained how to fly or maintain the F-117 since 2008

In light of the fact the videos obviously shows 2 F-117As in flight...in 2016...id have to say your comment is incorrect.

Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

In light of the fact the videos obviously shows 2 F-117As in flight...in 2016...id have to say your comment is incorrect.

Sierra99

here is a link to the video Sierra99 is referencing and a story about it

https://theaviationist.com/2016/09/23/watch-two-f-117-stealth-jets-fly-over-nevada-together-8-years-after-retirement/

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Got myself this issue of a special from Airforces publications. Lots of interesting information about the F-117 and other aircraft.

0000.jpg

Operational history and units. Incidents and problems. But also nice information about the different upgrade programs and the whole type 1000 storage program. These things are in climate controlled hangers because the earlier type RAM can't cope with the elements that we'll. All in all some nice information about the stealth birds

Edited by Mainstay

g8PjVMw.png

• 3 weeks later...
Got myself this issue of a special from Airforces publications. Lots of interesting information about the F-117 and other aircraft.

Operational history and units. Incidents and problems. But also nice information about the different upgrade programs and the whole type 1000 storage program. These things are in climate controlled hangers because the earlier type RAM can't cope with the elements that we'll. All in all some nice information about the stealth birds

Me too. Noted that the first combat missions were not carried out in Desert Storm as I'd previously thought. The Boscombe Down incident is perhaps the most interesting. I'd love to know what the heck that was.

You guys are always well informed and have probably seen this but just in case:

Lockheed F-117A Nighthawk 3D cockpit view:

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/CW_tour/CW-23.html

If you want to see more 3D cockpits:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/VirtualTour/Cockpit360.aspx

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

Callsign: Need

Shu-Ha-Ri

Keep in mind that the actual F-117A cockpit was very different. IIRC, that cockpit is from one of the early prototypes (79-10781, FSD-2, Toxic Death or Scorpion 2).

http://www.f-117a.com/Javaframe.html

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern,

Keep in mind that the actual F-117A cockpit was very different. IIRC, that cockpit is from one of the early prototypes (79-10781, FSD-2, Toxic Death or Scorpion 2).

http://www.f-117a.com/Javaframe.html

Very interesting. I thought it looked really low tech. Appreciate the comment.

I do love that website as I am a big fan of the worn and well used cockpits of these old war birds.

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

Callsign: Need

Shu-Ha-Ri

I just spent the morning browsing all things TTR...

Honestly before today I was one of the people who would have voted for a lot of other projects before an F-117A...now I'm not so sure. How can we "simulate" operations in Nevada and the TTR without the aircraft the base was actually built for? It also fits well in the upcoming SOH map

The F-117A is obviously a niche aircraft but so are many aircraft currently available in DCS. Personally I'd love to see an F-117A In DCS world.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I just spent the morning browsing all things TTR...

Honestly before today I was one of the people who would have voted for a lot of other projects before an F-117A...now I'm not so sure. How can we "simulate" operations in Nevada and the TTR without the aircraft the base was actually built for? It also fits well in the upcoming SOH map

The F-117A is obviously a niche aircraft but so are many aircraft currently available in DCS. Personally I'd love to see an F-117A In DCS world.

Me too, It's not my first choice but I still like to have one.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer: