F-86F vs Mig-15bis in The Museum Relic campaign

Redglyph

I have completed the campaign with the Sabre, and have completed most of it with the Mig. It's a very interesting comparison and I thought I'd share my experience, hoping it might give some info to anyone hesitating between buying it now (for both aircraft) or waiting for the campaign to be split (for one only). Also hoping to see if others feel the same way.

Both are highly enjoyable.

First remark, to anyone who is taking this campaign as an opportunity to learn both aircraft, and in general to those who are not more proficient with the Mig, I would say: start with the Sabre!

I had no experience with either of them, so for each (Sabre first, Mig next), I read the manual, took the training missions, did other missions, and got to some fair but still "beginner" level before starting the campaign, not to ruin the experience with too little competence.

Despite completing the campaign with the F-86 first, it is obvious to me that it is much easier to succeed those specific missions (or to get a better score) with the Sabre than the Mig, mainly for two reasons.

Firstly, it is more manoeuvrable and forgiving near the ground, and it seems that even at higher altitude, when the pilot has to shoot tankers or bombers for example, it was easier with the Sabre. It is more noticeable when going fast, the pilot has more chances to lose control of the Mig and crash ... or waste precious time recovering.

Secondly, the ammo is much more limited on the Mig, there are heavier but very fewer rounds (2*80+1*40 instead of 6*300) and no rockets on this model. Even with the cannon, you need to refrain from firing unless you are absolutely on target. It tends to balance when your aiming is good, thanks to the devastating cannon, but the F-86 also has the radar to help (and the rockets/missiles) so in the end, the Mig-21 feels inferior.

In conclusion, the experience is quite different with either plane and it's not as repetitive as one might fear, besides, the opponents and wingmen have different aircraft. You should struggle a little more with the Mig - especially in dogfight! You'll be more often frustrated too, because your ammo is depleted and you have to go back home with fewer victories. A couple of times I could re-arm and get back when the AO wasn't too far, but usually this isn't possible. The F-86F feels more comfy, more sophisticated than its rival.

I also failed quite a few times with the Mig, quite shamefully, stuck in the grass just next to the runway because of my poor handling :D I usually steer with the keyboard rudder shortcuts to avoid pushing the rudder pedals all the way left and right all the time when taxiing, but when there is the slightest offset those keyboard controls do not work well (will probably have to replace these rudder pedals at some point...).

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 3 weeks later...

It is! :)

You should have it easier with the F-86 thanks to that, though it's true that with smaller rounds, aiming at the right spot is also important.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR