Rocket pipper inaccuracy dependant on AOA

microvax

I have been doing research why and when the mirages rocket pipper is off.

At first I thought it was connected to the dive angle, but it isnt.

I am pretty sure naow, that it is connected to AOA, if it isnt, well, its still way to inaccurate in some cases so I consider it a bug. :)

Here are two videos to indicate the issue. :

High AOA, the rockets fall way to short, pretty much the amount in degrees the FPM is under the pipper.

low AOA, where the FPM is over the pipper, the rockets fall a little bit long.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

It sounds like the pipper is calibrated for a set speed. Which would explain all your problems. Lets face it it primarily and A2A aircraft anything ekse is a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

It sounds like the pipper is calibrated for a set speed. Which would explain all your problems. Lets face it it primarily and A2A aircraft anything ekse is a bonus.

AoA also depends on your weight, not just your airspeed. But I agree it's surprising that there are so many threads about air-to-ground with the Mirage.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The Mirage is a multipurpose airplane. I intentionally do not say multirole, because that might stretch it a little but picturing it as a pure a2a with some a2g "bonus" is simply not right.

Like look how many footage is out there of Mirages dropping bombs in excercises etc.

The mirage weapon systems have enough data and computation power to properly calculate the intersection of a plane and a object of known ballistic capabilities.

If the Computer is powerfull enough to calculate a guns solution vs. an aircraft, then it is powerfull enough to calculate such a simple solution.

So it would be pretty lazy of Dassault to just be like ah no no need for that.

Also its an 1980s frame, where you reach the point where some countries even considered PGMs unnecessary due to the high accuracy new computerized systems combined with radar ranging delivered.

Also as gavagi pointed out, AOA depends on weight. So speed calibration would not make it better but would have the exact same outcome.

If the mirage a2g solutions would be wit a certain inaccuracy around the target, okay, but depending on weapon type they pretty much are off in the same direction, which indicates a wrong solution calculation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

picturing it as a pure a2a with some a2g "bonus" is simply not right.

Well, it's pretty accurate vs how the 2000C RDI was used in FAF for most of its career... ;)

Like look how many footage is out there of Mirages dropping bombs in excercises etc.

Which Mirage? :smartass:

spacer.png

Well, it's pretty accurate vs how the 2000C RDI was used in FAF for most of its career... ;)

Which Mirage? :smartass:

Az', really plox ! :D

I mean that I do not think that the mirage would have some "bonus but really inaccurate a2g" irl. :D OFC its a primary a2a. But if really wanted to be a competition for the f16, which it was as far as I can see, it really has to be more accurate in a2g then this. Or do you think this is fine ? ;DD

Also, RDM to RDI was mainly radar upgrade right ?

Or was a downgrade of the balistics computer made, so the a2g pipper would be in space ? :D :P

Jojo posted a red flag 1995 in french video where a 2000c dropped a bomb, pretty sure it was a c.

Trying to find that one. :D

http://m.ina.fr/video/CPC08003568

Well it was a 2000D. Rip me, still does anyone really believe a 1980s airplane gives you that terrible solution calculation ?

And honestly do you think this huge inaccuracy is correct ? I mean the original small pipper we had was more accurate. I could kill things 24/7 with that. But this one is just, I dunno. :D Colminator would be better I guess. :D

EDIT: Want to correct myself here, I do not think the solution calculation is off, the representation on the HUD seems to be the problem.

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've actually been experiencing the same issue... recently was working on a mission went in for a rocket run at a high AoA and found the rockets doing the same, shooting and immediately dropping to the ground short of the actual piper designation.

Can guarantee it was way more accurate previously, find myself raising my nose higher above the target to get hits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have updated the way the radar does AGR in order to get rid of the TAS induced stutter in Nevada. A quick test with the rockets show that at max range they impact near the zone where the dot is.

I hope this update is released this week.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

I have updated the way the radar does AGR in order to get rid of the TAS induced stutter in Nevada. A quick test with the rockets show that at max range they impact near the zone where the dot is.

I hope this update is released this week.

Noice ! :)

Will do testing within the same parameters and report back as soon as the update is live.

Best thing about RAZBAM, you get reactions to bug report from the devs within days and not decades. ;D

Honestly great work ! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]