Hover over water?

tusler

I was just trying to do a CSAR miz over the gulf and without a landmark anywhere how do you hover in one spot? I do fine over land but water is really hard for me.:helpsmilie:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Hover over water

I was just trying to do a CSAR miz over the gulf and without a landmark anywhere how do you hover in one spot? I do fine over land but water is really hard for me.:helpsmilie:

If you have limited visual references like landmarks etc then you have to fall back on those pesky instruments on your dashboard. :smilewink:

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

The Mi-8 has a doppler radar (that includes a sea mode) to give you accurate hover movement indications. The Huey doesn't have such a system.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes I know about the Mi-8, great Helo!, it seemed that the ground effect on the Huey was not as present over water, I guess if I want to do it I will need to put in the hours of practice or just pick up CSAR on land LoL.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Over water I find using the trim very helpful, takes some time to get it just right but with steady winds you can be surprisingly still.

Huey. Intel X5660 4,2ghz, 24gb ddr3, gtx 1060 6gb

AJS37. Cyborg evo

Yak 52. Opentrack ir

KA-50

P-47

If you have limited visual references like landmarks etc then you have to fall back on those pesky instruments on your dashboard. :smilewink:

I wouldn’t recommend this, you should always be looking outside in the hover.

I presume if you are doing CSAR, there is something floating in the water that you are picking up. This should be your reference. You need to get comfortable flying off a reference that may be straight below you, beside you or even over your shoulder. First practice this over land, get comfortable hovering looking down or behind you, then take it out over the water.

These are advanced hovering techniques that take time to master, so practice practice practice!

Another situation like this is landing in a dustball. It’s not well simulated in DCS, but you get to a point where you can only see things inside your rotor disk, everything else is obscured. We train to pick a reference (like a bush) in the short strokes and fly to place it right beside our pilots door. That way you will see it through the whole transition and landing.

Happy flying!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2