Trees question

Airmage

Hi. Bringing up again the trees because, at least for me, they are the biggest problem in DCS - biggest FPS killers.

Tried everything in settings, and nothing helps, except a line in the options file in savedgames/DCS etc. That line is ["forestDistanceFactor"] = 0.3; reducing this value to 0.001 for example disables trees totally(but not the tree damage) giving me a nice constant 60 fps during all gameplay. The problem is that not seeing the trees makes me find them by ramming my jet into them.

So, i have a big question: is out there a tree mod with less detailed trees that would improve FPS, or would it be possible to implement in the game a future option for low-quality trees(this would really be useful) to save all those precious FPS?

Please, please don't ask about fxo and metashaders folders...

Hope this would be solved anytime soon, since myself and many others can't afford a 1500 eur videocard for the time being.

Cheers!

(No! Shadows have no impact on this; all shadows off will not change a bit!)

They're already really basic procedurally generated objects, pretty low intensity resourcewise. I'd suggest not flying at cow-top level, then you won't smack into them

I can't agree on low resource because, like i said, they are the BIGGEST fps killers...I really need to fix this.

Hope this would be solved anytime soon, since myself and many others can't afford a 1500 eur videocard for the time being.

Cheers!

(No! Shadows have no impact on this; all shadows off will not change a bit!)

What video card are you using Airmage?

Flight sims are possibly one of the hardest things to run on a home pc.

I recommend at least a 1070 for DCS or at least a 1060 (6GB version) to run DCS at 1080p.

You can run DCS on lower specs sure, if you want a nice decent experience then that's what I recommend. My path over the years 770 -> 1070 -> 1080ti

MSI RTX 2060 about 300 Euro?

MSI RTX 2070 about 500 Euro?

https://www.newegg.com/global/de-en/p/pl?d=rtx+2070

When I went from 770 to a 1070....it was...wow, what a difference that made. Then you want even more of course.:music_whistling:

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

My specs: Gygabite Aorus gaming X470; AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3700, Gygabite RX 580x 8gb, 32 GB ram @2666, Samsung 500Gb NVMe m.2 ssd.

I limited fps to 60 max, and only trees make it go down to 35 when flying low over forest, making the game run laggy and unpleasent. Other than that i get smooth 50-60 fps.

My goal is to keep 60 fps nice and smooth all over the gameplay.