Best trainer for wife? - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #51
Backy 51

The A-10C is the only choice and the closest thing we have to a high wing Cessna. It's S-L-O-W and less likely for her to get behind the aircraft. Post a picture and I may teach her for you and prevent your future divorce.

But seriously, girl power baby! Don't get mad when she proves to have superior motor skills and finesse than you do.

Patty Wagstaff is one of the greatest aerobatic pilots to ever jump in the cockpit.

TRIM - TRIM - TRIM! Not just a double entadre...

SPECS:
Spoiler:

INTEL i7-9700K - 32GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER on Samsung 40" 4K UHD TV
Corsair K70 RGB + Stream Deck XL and TrackIR 4 Pro

TM Warthog, F-18 Grip and 3 Cougar MFDs w/CH Pro Pedals
Win 10 Pro 64-bit on 1TB M.2 SSD

HANGAR:
Spoiler:

A-10 AV-8 F-5 F-14 F-16 F-18 F-86 M-2000 P-51 UH-1
FW-190 MiG-15/21 FC3 *Supercarrier*
Nevada Normandy Persian Gulf TACView CombatFlite WWII Assets
Backy 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #52
OnlyforDCS
Veteran

I don't think that the A10 is the best choice here. Seriously, I know that the A10C has a lot of fans, but it practically flies itself. With that said it still an intimidating plane. His wife will probably learn how to taxi, take off and land the plane in an hour, however she won't have a clue as to what she is doing and why.

I think the L39C is the better choice here. Before you bring out the pitchforks and torches let me explain why I think that is.

It has a simple and well laid out cockpit. Instead of starting on the runway, you can go ahead and start from the ramp. Teach the person about the basic instruments that every plane has, without the distraction of a hundred switches, MFDs, combat capabilites, cluttered HUD, etc. Show her how to start-up the plane, and what each switch does in relation to the airframe and the avionics. It's simple enough to grasp without going into the manual.

It has an enjoyable flight model (IMO, probably the best FM ever made so far in DCS) and it's simple to fly, however it's relatively low engine power requires a basic knowledge of flying principles, and will quickly seperate the wheat from the chaff. That is to say, if the person in question has any aptitude and interest in flying (even virtual flying) he or she will quickly take to it. In the A10C, it's intimidating systems will quickly discourage anyone who doesn't have the patience to delve into them, once they get past the initial hurdle of getting the plane into the air and on the ground again. It might even permanently ground someone who actually has an interest in flying.

Im not saying you can't do it in an A10, Im just saying that it isn't the best module we have in DCS for this kind of thing.
Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, TrackIR 5, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Saitek X52 throttle, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Last edited by OnlyforDCS; 04-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.
OnlyforDCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #53
MiG21bisFishbedL

For a moment, I thought you were looking for a way to tell her that she was starting to pack on the weight.

In that brief moment, the bravery of the Apollo 11 crew seemed pale when compared to yours.

Move MiG. For great justice. You know what you doing. Take off every MiG.
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals
MiG21bisFishbedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #54
=Pedro=

Maybe just buy her a horse XD
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #55
MisterVince

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
I don't think that the A10 is the best choice here. Seriously, I know that the A10C has a lot of fans, but it practically flies itself. With that said it still an intimidating plane. His wife will probably learn how to taxi, take off and land the plane in an hour, however she won't have a clue as to what she is doing and why.

I think the L39C is the better choice here. Before you bring out the pitchforks and torches let me explain why I think that is.

It has a simple and well laid out cockpit. Instead of starting on the runway, you can go ahead and start from the ramp. Teach the person about the basic instruments that every plane has, without the distraction of a hundred switches, MFDs, combat capabilites, cluttered HUD, etc. Show her how to start-up the plane, and what each switch does in relation to the airframe and the avionics. It's simple enough to grasp without going into the manual.

It has an enjoyable flight model (IMO, probably the best FM ever made so far in DCS) and it's simple to fly, however it's relatively low engine power requires a basic knowledge of flying principles, and will quickly seperate the wheat from the chaff. That is to say, if the person in question has any aptitude and interest in flying (even virtual flying) he or she will quickly take to it. In the A10C, it's intimidating systems will quickly discourage anyone who doesn't have the patience to delve into them, once they get past the initial hurdle of getting the plane into the air and on the ground again. It might even permanently ground someone who actually has an interest in flying.

Im not saying you can't do it in an A10, Im just saying that it isn't the best module we have in DCS for this kind of thing.
I agree 1000% on what you said.

Ask yourself: would you learn how to drive in a brand new 4x4 which trigger sounds when you are too close from the car in front of you, turns lights on when it's dark, has a back camera to help you park your car etc... or a simple small car ?

Between the A-10, and the L-39, it really this kind of deal. Wth the L-39 you can better feel that you are flying, not managing it.

+ with the L-39 you can do acrobatics, which is nice.
MisterVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #56
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVince View Post
Ask yourself: would you learn how to drive in a brand new 4x4 which trigger sounds when you are too close from the car in front of you, turns lights on when it's dark, has a back camera to help you park your car etc... or a simple small car ?
Depends... If I plan to drive a big 4x4 with ADAS and gadgets, I would favour the 4x4 without need for conversion.
If I want to learn driving different cars, I tend to a more seat of the pants driving ( flying ) with less assistance...

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Last edited by shagrat; 04-21-2017 at 10:48 AM.
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #57
David OC

Make sure she doesn't get a trainer that's too good looking.

That pretty much only allows the pour old ugly A-10..... Great personality tho.

On a serious note. A-10 or the L-39

Last edited by David OC; 04-21-2017 at 10:54 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #58
firmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVince View Post
...Wth the L-39 you can better feel that you are flying, not managing it.
+1. It's kind of difficult to understand unless you get a trainer. I had the same approach as others - why to get a trainer if there is no penalty for crashing in a PC a game. After getting L-39 I really regret that I didn't got it before MiG-21 as it would be a great progression experience.
Use the fact that you have someone to fly with in the same cockpit. It'll be much more fun and at the same time easier to learn then flying separatelly. If the person starts from ground zero the trainer will allow to focus on basic procudres, aerodynamics and flying the thing, making sure to learn the good habits. Learning navigation, VFR, IFR, approach patterns, reading the plate and approch charts, ATC comms, how the aircraft reacts to different configurations, etc, etc... is actually more difficult in a plane full of different systems as there is just too much distractaction and you'll end up focusing on learning how to manage the systems and rather than flying.
F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all
firmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #59
lemoen

You guys are being dim. I don't know anybody who learned DCS on the L39 or Hawk or C101. What plane did you learn on? My guess is SU25T or A10C.

I get the feeling a lot of answers here are aimed to 'make it easier' for the woman to learn because the manly A10C is too much machine. Its not. The A10C is piss easy to fly.
lemoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #60
OnlyforDCS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoen View Post
You guys are being dim.
The problem with this reasoning is that right there at the begining of our (well mine) adventures in DCS there was nothing else to choose from!

You had the Ka50. And then you had the A10C. Nowadays you have a choice. If I imagine myself starting out today, I would definitely NOT pick the A10C as a starting plane. Especially as I was always more interested in the flying aspect in the beginning. I didn't even want to do combat that much.
Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, TrackIR 5, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Saitek X52 throttle, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.
OnlyforDCS is offline   Reply With Quote