Best trainer for wife? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #31
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyoap View Post
I had thought of starting her on a fc3 aircraft as i, myself, started in the SU-25T. I know it's less complicated but I think there is extra value in a clickable cockpit, more "hands on" than just keybinds with the added benefit of recognizing certain switches/buttons in new aircraft and understand what they do to a degree (battery, apu, generators,etc.

Am I correct in saying the general consensus is stick with the hawg? Do any of the trainer aircraft "feel" like flying a really fast cessna? Lol
If you can manage to make her feel "not overwhelmed" with the startup and detailed systems, yes.

IMHO, if you want to focus on flying, navigation, basic maneuvering, I would reconsider a trainer, as the back seat option in particular, just to see what's going on, is pretty valuable.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #32
Redglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVince View Post
In the L-39, speed is indicated in knots and altitude is indicated in feets.
No, it's indicated in km/h and meters (flight manual, pg 131 and 133). Or was it different before?
Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #33
wilbur81

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyoap View Post
Hey all im wondering if anyone has any input for which trainer I should get with the Easter discount. My wife has an interest in taking part in my obsession but she has virtually no flying experience other than what I've talked about during chores. Eventually she'll be on the hawg but I'd like to train her on flight fundamentals in a less complicated aircraft. I'm not necessarily looking for the "best" aircraft but rather the best to teach in that mimics the a-10's characteristics to a point. Thanks for any input!
How about the A-10A? This is a simulation on a PC. She can 'crash' the thing 100000 times without consequences and fly it however she wants. No need for a trainer in a video game. :-)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #34
MisterVince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
No, it's indicated in km/h and meters (flight manual, pg 131 and 133). Or was it different before?
I just flew it and it was indicated in knots and feets.
MisterVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #35
Kenta

My girlfriend started with the MiG-21. Didn't manage to land it though
Kenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #36
FOXFIRE TWOONE

I have the Viggen and when I fine the need to quickly know speed or alt I bring up the
( info bar ), its IAS and Feet. If that's the same in other a/c it could help in your decision, because it's always on display if desired.
Cooler Master 120m
GTX 980 Superclocked
Corsair AX850w psu
Samsung 850 ssd x 2
Sony 48 in HD TV
Trackir 5
Hotas Warthog
Windows 10 64
FOXFIRE TWOONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #37
Jumbik

Do not bother with trainer if you cannot use the second seat capabilities, if you have only one PC then go for a combat aircraft.

It boils down to if you want to go down with Metric system or Imperial first.

I would start in air or on runway and would not bother with startup until she will get hang of the controls in air.

If you want to go western style go with either F-15, A-10A/C or F-5.

If you want to go the eastern style start with Su-25 or Mig-29.

Although DCS is very realistic, it is still a game which should be source of fun, let her try to find the fun in it by herself as much as possible. That is what i would try to achieve if I would be in the same situation.
Jumbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #38
some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
BTW, yes the gunsight is fixed (actually it wasn't buggy, it was the placeholder pod. Since the Aden Gun pod is modeled it works).
Sidewinder rockets work since about a year, as well.
...and the Sidewinder tone is getting fixed.

I have to look into the bombs a bit more, but I remember they already worked in 1.5. something, yet there is a bug with EDs Mk-82 visuals, but that is just visual.

May I ask, when you last flew the Hawk?
About a month or two ago. Tried to shoot something down with the help of AWACS but the UHF radio is still broken for half a year or more:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178026

And the bombs:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=183277

And the sidewinder sounds:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181879

And the currently fantasy gunsight:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134650

We still have the ugly placeholder LAU launchers instead of the correct SNEB ones, gun keeps firing when you release the trigger, there's no option to hang single Mk-82 bombs, only TERs, gunsight is a decoration that doesn't show the correct aiming point.... I could go on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
Keep in mind, both Aviojet and VEAO work very hard on getting there modules perfect and out the door...
At least that's what they've been saying for the last 2 years or so. Sure it must be true.

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift S

Last edited by some1; 04-16-2017 at 07:54 PM.
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #39
Redglyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVince View Post
I just flew it and it was indicated in knots and feets.
Perhaps they gave the choice of the cockpit then, that would make it easier.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #40
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1 View Post
About a month or two ago. Tried to shoot something down with the help of AWACS but the UHF radio is still broken for half a year or more:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178026

And the bombs:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=183277

And the sidewinder sounds:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181879

And the currently fantasy gunsight:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134650

We still have the ugly placeholder LAU launchers instead of the correct SNEB ones, gun keeps firing when you release the trigger, there's no option to hang single Mk-82 bombs, only TERs, gunsight is a decoration that doesn't show the correct aiming point.... I could go on...

At least that's what they've been saying for the last 2 years or so. Sure it must be true.
Yep, you are right... Wasn't aware latest ED patch messed so much up, again.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote